Stereotypes

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
"if your parents were subjected to good upbringing, a solid education and set of ideals and values, including religion, and if they were well-adjusted, and able to provide for their and their family material needs, then those values are passed, then they rear Republicans

if, on the other hand, they were abused, sent to public schools, or dropped out, or did drugs, or other maladjusted behavior, then turned around, fathered out of wedlock, neglected child-rearing duties, or practiced abortion, then they turned out Dems

if you do the research, I'm sure this is what you'll find, based on what I've seen" Nick4444 post #8 on the Politics Thread.

Ok gang - Nick here made this post in a light hearted humorous nature and clarified this later on in the post.

MY question to you is: do you think stereotypes arise from/because of the actualities of behavior by a certain demographic of people? While people are aware of stereotypes, do you think any part of the stereotypes derive in part from widespread, common behavior and then become exaggerated?

Per Nick's stereotype of Republicans, I have known that to frequentlybe the case. Replace the word Republican with Democrat and I have known the same sterotype to be the case as well. Per the negative stereotype, I cannot say that I have known this to be so but am aware that it is a stereotype.

Thanks for your imput on the thread. - goodwood

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You kind of lost me in the unbolded part at the bottom. :confused: But I will attempt to answer the question as I understand it. :cool:
"if your parents were subjected to good upbringing, a solid education and set of ideals and values, including religion, and if they were well-adjusted, and able to provide for their and their family material needs, then those values are passed, then they rear Republicans.
Interesting theory. In my experience the above statement has little to do with political party and everything to do with socioeconomic class.
if, on the other hand, they were abused, sent to public schools, or dropped out, or did drugs, or other maladjusted behavior, then turned around, fathered out of wedlock, neglected child-rearing duties, or practiced abortion, then they turned out Dems.
You or Nick4444 have just described the lower class, poor people. Dear boy, these are not "Our Kind of People". More importantly, until fairly recently these were not people who voted as they were not registered to vote. These are the people in rural areas as well as urban. They were socially and politically disenfranchised.

if you do the research, I'm sure this is what you'll find, based on what I've seen" Nick4444 post #8 on the Politics Thread.[/quote]Is this the crap you rich white folks teach your children? :confused: No wonder this country is so screwed up. :irked:

Ok gang - Nick here made this post in a light hearted humorous nature and clarified this later on in the post.

MY question to you is: do you think stereotypes arise from/because of the actualities of behavior by a certain demographic of people? While people are aware of stereotypes, do you think any part of the stereotypes derive in part from widespread, common behavior and then become exaggerated?

Per Nick's stereotype of Republicans, I have known that to frequentlybe the case. Replace the word Republican with Democrat and I have known the same sterotype to be the case as well. Per the negative stereotype, I cannot say that I have known this to be so but am aware that it is a stereotype.

Thanks for your input on the thread. - goodwood[/quote]

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
PA,

Why would you bring that horrible social climbing book up in any discussion? There are people I know that he mentions in the book that have even said "who the heck is he and why is he writing about us"! That book and Mr Graham is one of the subjects that really sets me off. Please dont go there!

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was attempting to have a dialogue about stereotypes. That's all.
Nick was making fun of stereotypes and how people believe them.
I believe that was the intent. This is not a political thread or religious thread
or socioeconomic thread. I was asking if anyone believes that stereotypes derive from actual behavior. I apologize if that was not clear. If this is an uncomfortable topic to discuss then i ask the moderators to pull it down.
Jesus Christ.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why would you bring that horrible social climbing book up in any discussion?
Because in any discussion of stereotypes wealthy blacks are often left out. Many people, white and black don't even know these people exist.
There are people I know that he mentions in the book that have even said "who the heck is he and why is he writing about us"! That book and Mr Graham is one of the subjects that really sets me off. Please dont go there!
Sorry to have set you off Naughty. In truth Mr. Graham and is his attitude are abhorrent to me. However, I was unaware that he had slandered any of the familys mentioned.
I was attempting to have a dialogue about stereotypes. That's all.
Nick was making fun of stereotypes and how people believe them.
Nick4444 has a bizarre sense of humor.:rolleyes: As for how stereotypes develop . . . isn't that environmental? Don't you pick that stuff up from family and friends.

I believe that was the intent. This is not a political thread or religious thread
or socioeconomic thread. I was asking if anyone believes that stereotypes derive from actual behavior. I apologize if that was not clear. If this is an uncomfortable topic to discuss then i ask the moderators to pull it down.
Jesus Christ.
I don't think it needs to be pulled down just because I misunderstood you. :frown1::redface: It's an interesting topic and one from which I could obviously stand to learn.

FWIW: Yes, I do believe that stereotypes often originate from actual behavior.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
FOR instance:

i meet people from all over the country and world from every background one could imagine and i have ideas of what i think that person might be like based on what i have known, heard, read, etc.
when i meet people it is my point to know them, their soul, who they are, what they think. my limited little ideas of what they should be like or what they think or how they act are irrelevant!
It is my desire to know someone for who they actually are - DESPITE and/or BECAUSE OF any stereotype that might be associated with the geographic/socioeconomic/racial/political/sexual/pet owning background they come from.
I guess this was a sore topic to post and i am done posting on it. with any luck it will be taken down. What a disappointment to me to hope to hear of and listen and consider people's thoughts on this matter when i ask of it. Perhaps it is the time difference from members of New York time. Perhaps people don't care. Perhaps it is easier to hold fast to stereotypes. I don't know.
For my part, i hope people will decide to hold onto the stereotype that i am an ass hole, white bread, east coast, dismissive, patrician, snob. If anybody comes up with something other than that, then good for you.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Goodwood dahlink you are over reacting! Please calm down. :cool:

Here is a personal example of a stereotype:
I have a good friend of IrishAmerican ancestry who married a Turkish man. She was reared Catholic, he was reared Muslim. Both shunned or perhaps rejected is a better word their religions prior to meeting in grad school. They have been happily married for 15 years. As far as I can see, he is: intelligent, handsome, funny, patient, caring, spends ample time with their two children and is a doting father and loving husband.

Therefore my assumption/stereotype is that all Turkish men are great husbands and fathers. :smile:

Obviously my rational mind knows that somewhere on the planet there must be Turkish men who aren't great husbands and fathers; but since I haven't met them I can assume they don't exist. :cool:

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
to try to answer your question, groups are defined by their shared beliefs, values, and behaviours

individuals that make up the group, are, shall we say, individuals, each of them possesses a set of core values, perceptions, beliefs, and behaviours, and same or modified set of the same that extends peripherally

hence, different levels of behaviour that require the invoking of the different and relevant levels of value/belief

the choice as to which candybar at the moment, would be a very peripheral value choice

whether to proceed with murder, drug abuse, theft, abortion would be a decision that would draw on a more core value/belief

certain styles of expression derive from participating in certain groups, e.g., compare the tempo of speech of a New Yorker with a rural Georgia person, as well as loudness, affect, etc.

then, take into consideration the extent an individual may or may not assimilate any of the foregoing from the groups they naturally find themselves within

then, we are generally members of not just one group, but several, beginning with the initial family unit, to the national, and possibly beyond

so, generalizations can sometimes begin to tell you something about a person, sometimes not

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
"if your parents were subjected to good upbringing, a solid education and set of ideals and values, including religion, and if they were well-adjusted, and able to provide for their and their family material needs, then those values are passed, then they rear Republicans

if, on the other hand, they were abused, sent to public schools, or dropped out, or did drugs, or other maladjusted behavior, then turned around, fathered out of wedlock, neglected child-rearing duties, or practiced abortion, then they turned out Dems

if you do the research, I'm sure this is what you'll find, based on what I've seen" Nick4444 post #8 on the Politics Thread.

Thanks for your imput on the thread. - goodwood

I think that stereotypes are a method of behavior modification.
Like they could take a few things that are true about a few people and generally associate that for the entire group of people and make it into a "bad" association...or make out like it is a bad thing.

Like the stereotype that all black men like malt liquor. Smoke KOOL cigarettes. Like all black people like fried chicken. While discounting other races that may like malt liquor, smoke KOOLs and eat fried chicken.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
njqt -
thanks for sharing your thoughts. i am very happy for your friend with the delightful turkish husband. that is wonderful to hear.

thanks also to the rest that have shared humorously and thoughtfully.

I suppose in my wondering about this question as i have for years, there must be some basis in fact for stereotypes to arise. Whoever believes in stereotypes without being willing to make themselves aware of the actualities from which they derive - i wish they would take the effort to do so.

(njqt - i have calmed down and i apologize. working 14 hours a day with a boss that has mental problems and will neither seek counseling nor medication is most distressing and my frustration at being treated like shit day after day while making him look good and being sleep deprived surfaced in an unfortunate way.).

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The problem with most stereotypes is that they are usually based on one negative life experience. I know I made light of a serious situation; but many people assume any man reared Muslim with olive skin is either a terrorist or a misogynist; or both. Obviously this is incorrect.

njqt - thanks for sharing your thoughts. i am very happy for your friend with the delightful turkish husband. that is wonderful to hear.

thanks also to the rest that have shared humorously and thoughtfully.

I suppose in my wondering about this question as i have for years, there must be some basis in fact for stereotypes to arise. Whoever believes in stereotypes without being willing to make themselves aware of the actualities from which they derive - i wish they would take the effort to do so.

(njqt - i have calmed down and i apologize. working 14 hours a day with a boss that has mental problems and will neither seek counseling nor medication is most distressing and my frustration at being treated like shit day after day while making him look good and being sleep deprived surfaced in an unfortunate way.).
Ugh, I know what that is like and it sucks! :mad: I knew it had to be something external, as your reaction was out of character.
I'm sure no one would blame you if you were to acquire some Prozac and put it in his coffee when he's not looking. :biggrin1: