Stevens retirement: what next?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hottcjimmyv, Apr 9, 2010.

1. hottcjimmyv

hottcjimmyv Member

Albums:
    Stevens is retiring. If all sign point to a shift to the right in the 2010 mid-term and possibly a Republican in the Oval Office in 2012, if Terry Gross's guest on March 25, Mark Potok from the Southern Poverty Law center, is accurate and the right has ultimately ceded its moderate ground and is shifting hard right, what is President Obama to do? Should he give up re-election in favor of putting a young progressive on the bench while he has the votes, or should he go for maintaining majorities in congress and maintaining the White House?

Challenge: comment on the ideas and the politics in this question, but avoid personal (ad hominen) attacks on the people on the opposite side of the fence. I believe we can still do this! Prove me right!

2. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Thread has been up all day. You're late... http://www.lpsg.org/178807-justice-stevens-retires.html

btw, real cute way you frame a false debate, and then demand that people be suckered by it. Obama will not only win re-election, but he's going to appoint the most liberal jurist he can find, and then appoint them during recess is need be. The Republicans are a joke, and won't be any more effective at stopping Obama now, then they were during the minimum wage, stimulus and HCR debates.

#2 B_talltpaguy, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  3. joeweekend

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    "Progressive" sentiments have no place on the high court. "Progressive" means makin' up schemes you think are really great, then ramming them down others' throats.

Judges aren't allowed to do that.

4. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Your rather ridiculous opinion is not based on reality, and has no place in an honest discussion.

5. hottcjimmyv

hottcjimmyv Member

Albums:
    Tall, I think the question I'm asking is diffferent that the thread to which you linked. I wasn't interested in being the first to post. I was interested in trying to spark a debate that was a bit above the fray of personal attacks. Sorry if I failed to do so in ur judgment. I hope all is well in your world.
    Jimmy

6. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    False dichotomy.

7. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

Lets be realistic...a recess appointment to the Supreme Court would be political suicide for Obama

8. hottcjimmyv

hottcjimmyv Member

Albums:
    K, hazel, I'm willing to admit that my question may rest on a false dichotomy--perhaps the cultural landscape is different-- but don't just criticize: reframe the question. What do u see on the horizon for the president and what do you think he willl do?

I would also posit that if my read is not a false dichotomy, then it is in the interest of Obama's oponents to play off certain fringe opinions as centrist and play up themselves as minority.

With repsect,
    Jimmy

9. sargon20

Gold Member

We had an entire war rammed down our throats. That ramming cost us 3 trillion dollars and 90,000+ lives. While the health care bill is expected to cost 900 billion over ten years and save 45000 lives a year who die due to lack of health care. I can understand why they would make a conservative mad. Money should be spent on killing not saving lives.

10. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    What next? A lot of gop foaming at mouth, no doubt.

Draft saved Draft deleted