Stevia my coffee

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by midlifebear, Dec 21, 2010.

1. midlifebear

Gold Member

Every morning I drink coffee by the mugfuls like any typical 'Mericuhn. That's just how I was raised. We have sugar in the kitchen, but The Squeeze keeps the sugar bowl on the kitchen counter and on the dining room side table full of Stevia. It looks and tastes just like sugar. But instead of "two teaspoons" I end up measuring 1/4 to 1/2 of a teaspoon to sweeten my coffee. I've never given it much thought except that I've always packed a stash of little packets of Stevia whenever I return to Nevada. Just couldn't find it in the health food stores stores.

I was discussing how hard it is to find Stevia in the USA with another expat who countered that it was made illegal in the USA during the 1990s. Argentines, and the indigenous people who preceded them, have used Steiva instead of sugar to sweeten the gourds they pack with maté for more than 300 documented years without causing any health problems. I checked Wikipedia which notes that an "extract" of Stevia is now available as a food additive in the USA, but it's not for people like me who use it daily in their coffee or tea. By the way, Stevia is REAL sweet, naturally. It's also used in lots of Central and South American countries in soft drinks instead of sugar or corn syrup. Did I mention it's REAL sweet and tastes exactly like sugar when used in the correct amounts? It also costs less (at least here in Buenos Aires).

It would appear this is further proof that the Food and Drug Administration is owned by the sugar and corn syrup conglomerates. -- along with the other huge corporate overlords?

Or am I just being paranoid?:eek:

#1 midlifebear, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

A friend of mine in Honolulu buys it a health food store. I am one of the people who feel that sugar is OK in moderation. My feeling about high fructose corn syrup is another story.

3. D_Jerry_Atric

D_Jerry_Atric Account Disabled

I've tried Stevia even the stuff that's marketed as not being bitter and I found it to taste nasty and it did not taste at all like sugar does. I've had splenda too and I found that gross as well.

It's not hard to find Stevia in the U.S. you can buy it at health food stores, natural food/vitamin stores, and even at all sorts of supermarkets including chains.

I'll either use a very tiny amount of raw sugar in coffee or I'll put honey in coffee and tea.

I used to use 2-3 packets of raw sugar in a cup of coffee but I've cut way back and started drinking coffee with only a small amount of sugar if I use it, or I'll just put some milk or half and half in.

I avoid HFCS.

#3 D_Jerry_Atric, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  4. midlifebear

Gold Member

BeardedWoof:

The "bitterness" or tasting nasty may be a result of poor quality refined Stevia. The stuff we buy on she shelves at the local supermarkets has no dicernible "odd" taste unless you use too much of the stuff. Plus, there's more than one brand of the stuff, so I'm certain market competition has something to do with Argentina producing a better-tasting product. Other than that, sorry the stuff you've tried is so bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted