stewart got sentenced

blar

Experimental Member
Media
well she is going to jail..... if you can call that a jail she is going too. Its less then i thought but oh well. The only problem that i find with these type of crimes is that these CEO's and whatever get to go to jails that can be compared to country clubs even though they screw investers, people etc out of millions! grrr i just think they should go to the same jail that everybody else gets sent to.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
From CNN:

Martha Stewart was sentenced to five months in prison and two years' probation Friday for lying to investigators about her sale of ImClone Systems stock in late 2001.

Federal Judge Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum also ordered Stewart to five months of home confinement after her release and fined the lifestyle expert $30,000.

The sentence was the minimum the judge could impose under federal sentencing guidelines.

Ten months, half of which is in "her sprawling Bedford, N.Y. estate." Furthermore, she doesn't have to begin serving her sentence until after her appeal has been heard -- a pretty cushy arrangement that is rarely afforded blue-collar workers.

And the "country-club" accusation is premature (but may very well pan out...) -- the Board of Prisons hasn't assigned her to a particular facility yet.

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I find our American system of justice, well strange. The charge of insider trading was dropped; but Martha was convicted of lying to investigators about a "legal" trade, conspiracy, etc. The trade in question was $40,000.

A few months ago, five executives of HealthSouth were convicted of fraud to the tune of $3 billion. Sentences were around 5 months of home confinement. Oh yeah, these felons neither came forward about their fraud nor provided truthful information to investigators after arrest.

A techie might approach comparable sentencing one of two ways:

$3,000,000,000/$40,000 x 5 months prison time = 31,250 years for the HealthSouth felons. Nice guy that I am I would let them split the calculated sentence among them.

or using the home arrest model

$40,000/$3,000,000,000 x 5 months home arrest = 2.94 seconds of home arrest for Martha.

I wonder how many times and with whom the Alabama judge went duck hunting. Something does not compute.

:p

jay

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Preach it, sister!

The caption should have read: " Martha Stewart: a cautionary tale for uppity women" .... She was flying pretty high, but her demeanor on a man would be called "Decisive, a born leader, a go getter". Actually, if she had been still on "the street" instead of in her role as the Domestic Diva and male, she would have definitely been labelled "Big and Swinging" as the big boys say! I remember her in the 80's and I did see her right there at parties on 5th avenue(Andrew Carnegie's mansion no less) checking every jot and tittle before the trays went out.I saw her in action myself. I have admired her ever since. Sorry guys, but I hope she comes out of this ok.

Naughty

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by madame_zora@Jul 17 2004, 06:59 AM
And how much time are the boys from ENRON doing?
If anyone could find those miserable money grubbing, motherfucking, cocksucking corporate ASSHOLES, I'd wish them a slow dying death after the way they pulled that double-fuck on the investors!! OK, I've vented enough for one day, for NOW. I'm going to go and grab an ibuprofen.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ugh. Martha certainly didn't help her case last night.

In an interview with Barbara Walters on the ABC show 20/20, Martha Stewart maintains that she's an innocent victim who "didn't cheat anybody", and explicitly compares her upcoming incarceration to the plight of Nelson Mandela.

blar

Experimental Member
Media
well one thing i learned in one of my classes about the enron CEO is that he was (or is) business partners with bush....so thats my guess why it took so long for them to "book" him maybe bush is helping him out in some way? (just a guess). Because it does not make sense why they went after the lower people and not him first.....he's the CEO he approves and declines the actions the lower management do.

really mindeye? i missed it that’s pretty bad on her side. But i think she could of avoided this if she confessed and not had it taken to court.

Did her stock broker or some type of business partner that she had get sent to jail? I remember hearing about a business partner she had getting sent for a few years..... If so she got the good end of the deal.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by mindseye@Jul 17 2004, 08:08 AM
Ugh. Martha certainly didn't help her case last night.

In an interview with Barbara Walters on the ABC show 20/20, Martha Stewart maintains that she's an innocent victim who "didn't cheat anybody", and explicitly compares her upcoming incarceration to the plight of Nelson Mandela.
Everybody is jumping on Martha for supposedly comparing herself to Nelson Mandela. Give her a break, will ya?

She was using the example of Nelson Mandela to explain that if he can make it for 27 years, she can certainly make it for 5 months. What's wrong with that?

People compare themselves to other people all the time. Sometimes the comparison is with a famous person (like Mandela), sometimes it's not.

The way I see it is that she probably admires Mandela and sees him as a hero.

Try to have a little bit of empathy for the woman. Everyone has made mistakes in their lives, so I would think that people could relate to that fact, at least.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by MarkSavage@Jul 17 2004, 12:50 PM
Everybody is jumping on Martha for supposedly comparing herself to Nelson Mandela. Give her a break, will ya?

She was using the example of Nelson Mandela to explain that if he can make it for 27 years, she can certainly make it for 5 months. What's wrong with that?

[...]

Try to have a little bit of empathy for the woman. Everyone has made mistakes in their lives, so I would think that people could relate to that fact, at least.
Hmm. You may be right. I'm looking at two different sources (1 2) and they give different versions of the Nelson Mandela quote. The first version, which is the one I had seen earlier, makes no mention of the "27 years" reference -- and looks like all she was comparing was their innocence.

I live in one of the few places in this country that do not have an ABC affilliate -- the nearest is low-power WSET, which is just over 100 miles from here -- so I could not see the interview myself. I have no explanation for the two different quotes. One could be wrong, or perhaps they re-shot part of the interview for west-coast broadcast. ABC has not released a transcript yet.

Sorry if I jumped the gun.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No problem, mindseye. Ya gotta keep an eye on the news media at all times. ;)

I went through a brief period where I enjoyed looking at The Drudge Report(drudgereport.com). A lot of people belief that Drudge is unbiased, but that's far from the truth. His headlines and views are slanted against anything having to do with liberals or Democrats. Today, his site was screaming about Martha Stewart. (Martha is a registered Democrat in Connecticut.)

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK@Jul 17 2004, 10:58 AM

If anyone could find those miserable money grubbing, motherfucking, cocksucking corporate ASSHOLES, I'd wish them a slow dying death after the way they pulled that double-fuck on the investors!!
[/quote]
Agree strongly with Chuck here.

Martha's sins are indeed peanuts compared to those of "Kenny Boy" Lay and his cronies from the "crooked E." To say nothing of the felons from HealthSouth, Tyco, WorldCom, etc. Thank goodness Lay has finally been idicted.

Still, I dislike it when I hear Martha claiming that she didn't cheat anyone. The arrogance. Anytime the big money players lapse in the ethics department, its the little investors who collectively get the shaft. Like shoplifting, we all pay for it in the end. Bigshote like Martha might claim no one was hurt but I can't help believing that someone's retirement plan suffered a loss because an ethically challenged tycoon needed a learjet or another house in Vail.

Yah, this whole issue bugs me. Can u tell? :angry:

SG

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Well I have never liked Martha Stewart, so to see her get in trouble pleases me to no end. However, I think that she is being made the scapegoat for all the other crooks who have done similar types of crimes and gotten away with them. Her cockiness and "poor me, I've done nothing wrong" attitude is what has done her in, coupled with her Miss Perfect persona. The Tyco, Health South, and Enron people haven't had the Goody-two-shoes Miss Priss persona to contend with. They threw lavish parties and squandered the money away, Martha made billions off of her empire, saved her butt by insider trading and then went to the studio and baked chocolate chip cookies and made us feel all warm and fuzzy while we lost our butts in the stock market and she saved her money while we watched ours go down the tubes. I watched one of my stocks go from over $42 per share to below $5 per share. I sold it off and took it as a write off before I lost it all. I have no compassion for those who commit crimes like she did, but I'm glad that types like her are finally being prosecuted. Just because they are rich doesn't mean that they are beyond reproach. Martha is now going to have plenty of time to think about what she did and the repercussions of her actions. (that was always one of my mother's lines when I got sent to my room LOL)