stewart got sentenced

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, this corporate corruption's been going on since the 90s, but the corporate media never covered it, mainly because things like Enron generally don't get as much ratings as the "dangers" of vaccines.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, I don't like her claiming to be innocent either. Why haven't public figures learned from Nixon, Clinton, and the like that denial is so deadly? Much could have been diffused if she had just come out with it early on, paid her fines and gone on with her life.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by madame_zora@Jul 19 2004, 04:23 AM
Much could have been diffused if she had just come out with it early on, paid her fines and gone on with her life.
If she had just quietly taken her lumps then she couldn't have leveraged the media flurry over her indictment, prosecution and sentencing into another avenue for self-promotion.

SG

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by SpeedoGuy+Jul 19 2004, 12:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SpeedoGuy @ Jul 19 2004, 12:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-madame_zora@Jul 19 2004, 04:23 AM
Much could have been diffused if she had just come out with it early on, paid her fines and gone on with her life.
If she had just quietly taken her lumps then she couldn&#39;t have leveraged the media flurry over her indictment, prosecution and sentencing into another avenue for self-promotion.

SG [/b][/quote]
But I think that all the media hype turned the self promotion into a lot of public hatred of the woman. Now people are so fed up with her that most people want to see her get locked up. Most people that I know are ready to see how she&#39;s going to revamp prison food, redesign prison uniforms and redo prison cells...but, "it&#39;s a good thing."

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Peck had posted a parody faux on Martha Stewarts mag, LIVING somewhere down the road, and it was a riot. If you check around here, you&#39;ll know what I mean.

But with respects to Martha comparing herself to Mandela, sorry. Ain&#39;t buying it, so don&#39;t peddle it to me. Mandela was in jail unjustified, and Martha isn&#39;t. Simple as that. Case closed.
&#39;Nuff said.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK@Jul 19 2004, 03:05 PM
...Martha comparing herself to Mandela, sorry. Ain&#39;t buying it, so don&#39;t peddle it to me.
Again agree massively with Chuck on this. More&#39;o his North Jersey &#39;tude would have helped in the prosecution and sentencing in this case and others.

The comparison with Nelson Mandela is exactly what I meant about Martha&#39;s penchant for self promotion. Here is a sly and wealthy businesswoman (and former stockbroker) caught red handed in securities fraud and given a mild slap on the wrist. Then the national broadcast media is only too happy to give her a pulpit where she claims innocence and compares herself favorably with a political prisoner unjustly jailed for more than 20 years. Ay carumba, the chutzpah. She&#39;s rubbing our faces in it.

SG

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Did anyone see her on Larry King Live last night? She proclaims her innocence and was going on and on about how he company needs her and her people need her....yadda, yadda, yadda. All I could think of was that she got caught and she is trying to weasel out of it. After seeing the show last night, I think she needs to be hit with a harder sentence. She was also trying to get her way out of the Mandela reference, too, and doing a bad job doing so. She was saying how much she looks up to Mandela and how the media twisted what she said and that she didn&#39;t say that was like Mandela. It was a bunch of lies. Fry the bitch.....

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by prepstudinsc@Jul 20 2004, 09:04 AM
I think she needs to be hit with a harder sentence.
I disagree, and jay_too pointed out earlier in this thread exactly why I think her sentence is harsh enough:

Martha was convicted of lying to investigators [...] The trade in question was &#036;40,000.

A few months ago, five executives of HealthSouth were convicted of fraud to the tune of &#036;3 billion. Sentences were around 5 months of home confinement.

Specifically, according to the Department of Justice, among the five defendants:
  • Harris, who was convicted on two counts, got ten months -- five per count. But the judge allowed Harris to complete both five month sentences simultaneously -- so that Harris was released after five months having served both debts to society&#33;
  • Each of the other four defendants -- Edwards, Ayers, Morgan, and Valentine -- received no jail time, and six months of "unsupervised home confinement". In other words, they were grounded.
Furthermore, their fraud directly cost their shareholders &#036;66 million. Considering Martha&#39;s insider stock sale was worth &#036;40K, Martha&#39;s sentence -- five months in jail *plus* five months at home -- seems hefty enough.

LoveGirl: I love Martha. It&#39;s so obvious that this whole anti-Martha flurry was started by what some call &#39;The Good ole&#39; Boys Club&#39;...Who wants a rich woman with actual ^dare I say it^ influence? **GASP** She may have done things that were wrong, and might have even known were wrong, but if they are going to send her to jail for this &#036;40k crime, then send all those other m&#39;thr f&#39;ing CEOs who steal millions to billions of dollars (or trillions in Bush&#39;s case (YES I KNOW HE DIDN&#39;T STEAL IT FOR HIMSELF)) to regular jails just like everyone else, and make it 130+ years so they learn to drool (HAHA Michael drools, hahahahaha, nobody&#39;s perfect hehehehe) again before they get out.