STI Transmission Rates?

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is it 100%? ie you have unprotected sex with someone with chlamydia, you get chlamydia too?

Because if the chances of getting AIDS through heterosexual sex are apparently millions to one, what are the odds of getting chlamydia or other STI's?

Are they quite low or quite high? Maybe something to do with AIDS being a virus versus most STI's being bacterial?

Just wondering, can't find any info anywhere.

Basically I had sex with someone, the condom broke but I was only 'exposed' for a few seconds. She got tested and she was clean. So does this mean that I must also be clean or not?

Merci beaucoup.

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well if she's tested clear of everything then she can't have transmitted anything nasty to you.

But it would be sensible to get a panel of tests for yourself anyway. Chlamydia in particular is unsymptomatic in most people and the test is done on a simple urine sample. You'll know it if you get gonnorhea in your urethra, but you might miss it in your throat. And you'd probably notice a syphylitic chancre on your cock. While you're there, see if they offer hepatitis A and B vaccinations.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Is it 100%? ie you have unprotected sex with someone with chlamydia, you get chlamydia too?

No, it's not 100%. But it's 100% your own damn fault if you knowingly have sex with someone with chlamydia (or any other STI) and end up with it yourself.

Because if the chances of getting AIDS through heterosexual sex are apparently millions to one,

Whoever or whatever told you that needs to admit they have no goddamn clue and stop spreading dangerous lies. Let's just get that out there.

The chances of contracting HIV through penetrative vaginal sex (which is what I'm assuming you mean by "heterosexual sex") are zero if your partner is HIV-, but much better than millions-to-one. Millions-to-one are the odds that jackpot lotteries bank on. There are, however, millions of heterosexual people dying of AIDS-related issues the world over as we speak. The chances of contracting HIV through penetrative anal sex are higher due to the nature of the tissues involved - but heterosexual people are no more or less likely than non-heterosexual people contract HIV through penetrative anal sex - or through penetrative vaginal sex, for that matter.

Anyway, it is difficult to create a meaningful per-act-risk number because of the many factors that can affect HIV transmission. Penetrative vaginal sex can quite easily be more risky than penetrative anal sex once you start factoring in the presence or absence of existing infections, abrasions, diseases, and so on. If you really want to know what the experts think the chances are, I suggest you do a search in a journal like the Lancet, or snoop through the CDC's information on it - but please remember that real-world conditions may vary, and if you don't wear a condom those odds you researched won't mean shit if you catch HIV.

what are the odds of getting chlamydia or other STI's?

Generally speaking, STIs other than HIV tend to be easier to catch. Most adults have one or multiple strains of HPV. I'm told that most adults have been exposed to and developed immunity to molluscum contagiosum. A large percentage (I don't have the numbers at hand) end up with herpes of one form or another by the time they pass away. To give you an example: My doctor informed me that in Canada anyone with an incurable infectious disease is supposed to be (in theory) reported to Health Canada by their doctor; however, HPV and herpes are so prevalent that they don't have to be reported.

Are they quite low or quite high? Maybe something to do with AIDS being a virus versus most STI's being bacterial?

Just for the infotainment of all who've bothered to read this far, HIV, HPV, herpes, the hepatitis family, and many other STIs are viral. Chlamydia, syphilis, LGV, and I'm sure many others are bacterial infections. Crabs are an infestation. AIDS is a syndrome, not a virus or a bacterium.

Basically I had sex with someone, the condom broke but I was only 'exposed' for a few seconds. She got tested and she was clean. So does this mean that I must also be clean or not?

If she tested clean you have a 0% chance of having contracted anything from her. It doesn't automatically follow that you are STI free, though. You may have caught something from another partner before her, but she just lucked out and didn't catch it from you. Nothing calms the nerves like getting yourself checked.

I hope I didn't come across as too much of a know-it-all, but I know there's a lot of false (and often dangerously misleading) information out there.

Last edited:

ManchesterTom

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Because if the chances of getting AIDS through heterosexual sex are apparently millions to one, what are the odds of getting chlamydia or other STI's?

Merci beaucoup.

Sir, someone has been telling you "pork pies".

In certain regions of the world the HIV infection rate is as high as 40% of the population.

Zululand in South Africa is one such place.

I know this and see people dying like flies. I live here in South Africa.

These are hetrosexual people dying.

AIDS IS NOT A GAY DISEASE!!!! IT'S EVERONE'S PROBLEM..

avengoid1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Erratic has a very solid post. I'd just like to add that the variable that is being measured for many of these tests take time to reach a measurable level, though they are still transmissable. So you can have sex with someone who contracted an STI 2 days prior from someone else, she gets tested the day after you have sex with her and tests negative, but still could have transmitted the STI to you. So it might be wise to do a follow up test in a week or two, even if you don't have symptoms.
The best example of this is HIV. Bacteria tend to mutliply rapidly so they would be detectable within a short time, but HIV can take weeks or months.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Here it says 5 million in a referenced article from 1988. Old, I know and most likely not accurate anymore if it ever was:

What are the odds of getting AIDS from ordinary heterosexual - Straight Dope Message Board

Also thanks for the good advice/information erratic. So I have not caught anything off her, and most likely not off anyone else either. Since the only times I've been exposed is when condoms break.

I will go and get tested though just to be sure, to be sure :p

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My goodness, 1988? Yeah, that's the dark ages as far as HIV research is concerned.

The author is talking about your chances of sticking your dick in some random vagina and then catching HIV. In that case, I would concede that the chances aren't huge. That being said, I wouldn't trust dubious statistics from someone who professes to be some kind of authority but can't even intelligibly sort out the difference between HIV and AIDS.

Glad to hear you're going to be tested, just to be sure, and glad to hear I had something worthwhile to say.

By the way (I don't think anyone's said this thus far) good on you for using condoms. The world needs more men like you.

paigexox

Sexy Member
Media

Just wondering, can't find any info anywhere.

Merci beaucoup.

As the result of one sexual act without protection, the percentage risk of transmissions are:

Gonorrhea:
Male to Female: 50-90%
Female to Male: 20%
Genital Herpes:
Male to Female: 0.2%
Female to Male: 0.05%
HIV:
Male to Female: 0.1-20%
Female to Male: 0.01-10%

It would be wise to get screened anyhow... most carriers of STI's are asymptomatic.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I read the title of this thread and thought... STI transmission rates... Somebody needs help with their manual trans on their subaru STI.
(It's roughly $1500 to have it gone through)

Like others have said... HIV isn't a gay mans disease.