Still can't believe Usain Bolt

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

dude is just smashing records let and right.

finally got to see a repeat of him smashing the 200m record

YouTube - Usain Bolt 200m WR 19.19 seconds - August 20, 2009 World Championships in Berlin, Germany

and with the 100 meter record he did a few days ago, it is just scary

YouTube - Usain Bolt 9.58 100m New World Record Berlin [HQ]

I just hope he does not take performance enhancers...it is nice to believe once in a while, but considering track and field's spotty history with PED's, who knows...

sometimes, humans can do incredible things.

guy is unreal...fastest person in the history of the human race on this planet.

2. crescendo69

Gold Member

Aarrghh, 'tis a running machine.

3. Flashy

Gold Member

4. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    When you add his personality to his ability, you've got a superstar. Love his smile and attitude. It'll be great to see what Jamaica does in the 4x100.

5. Flashy

Gold Member

impossible to find a better last name more apropos for sport..."Bolt"

that would be like a tennis player being named David Ace or something...

6. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    His 200m ceremony is on right now. The crowd sang "Happy Birthday" to him. :smile: 23yo today.

41 steps in the 100? Damn... that's 2.4 meters per stride. Bet he does under 9.5 someday.

7. Flashy

Gold Member

yeah...scary, i think he could go under 9.5 too. he probably has about 3-4 more years at his prime, if he stays motivated. if his starts continue to improve, who knows how low he could go.

i feel bad for Tyson Gay...the guy is awesome...2nd fastest guy in the world...when Bolt runs a 9.58, Gay runs a 9.71....nobody notices. that 9.71 would be the world record mark without Bolt...instead, Bolt beats him by a over a full meter.

8. Flashy

Gold Member

actually it is 2.439 meters per stride :eek::wink: every little bit counts!

9. B_hardasarokkk

B_hardasarokkk New Member

havent seen him run yet.... does he have a nice floppy cock???

10. Flashy

Gold Member

:rolleyes:

i don't know and i don't care.

11. TroMag

TroMag New Member

Albums:
    Is anyone going to be surprised when he gets busted for PEDs?

12. Flashy

Gold Member

no...but i am hoping he's clean.

sometimes it is all you can hope for, only to be disappointed.

but at some point, they might as well just these guys to dope, like they used to do with cycling.

if they want to destroy their bodies, let them.

maybe it will cause a split, the way there is "Bodybuilding" and "Natural Bodybuilding"

13. TroMag

TroMag New Member

Albums:
    Yeah, I'm a fan of splitting sports into unlimited and natural classes.

Anyway, with Bolt, the problem is that he isn't just beating the field, he's destroying the field. And we know PED use is rampant in track and field. So how can a clean guy come along and leave elite sprinters (who are likely doping) in his dust? And do so in both the 100 and the 200?

14. Flashy

Gold Member

well, i agree and you raise good points, but let's not forget the one way it mightb e possible with Bolt is his freaking size and stride length. Generally, tall sprinters do not do all that well, because they are slow starters and have trouble lifting the knees high enough and turning over the legs fast enough to allow that huge stride length to eat up the track.

when you watch Bolt run, is stride is very easy and his style, very relaxed. he also starts very well...he is able to lift his knees higher and turn his legs over at a similar rate to smaller runs.

Bolt is a full 6'5...look at the great Maurice Greene...he was 5'9, and he was like a rocket over the first 60 meters (faster ever, 6.39...scary)

Bolt is also "Cut high", in that his legs are longer to the waist. normally that is a detriment to football players and track stars, because it makes it hader to lift the knees and turnover the legs fast enough...their strides eat up tremendous distance, but because of the leg length, they are doing it slower than smaller runners.

Bolt is the first one to pick his knees up high enough to allow him to turnover his legs more like a smaller runner. if you watch the 100 meter race i posted in the OP, compare Bolt vs the Incredible Tyson Gay...Gay looks like an absolute machine...technically perfect, arms slicing the air methodically, legs churning...Bolt is just cruising...like a horse...relaxed in his stride, smooth gait, does not look like he is even running that fast, though he is flying...his arms are not slicing, they are just in motion...

Tyson Gay is also only 5'11 and 165 pounds...Bolt is 6'5 190-200 pounds.

look at the following pic...the length of Bolt's leg, from foot to knee, is almost the size of Gay's entire leg, from foot to mid thigh!

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images...50452620016/Usain-Bolt-wins-the-100m--001.jpg

of course he could still be on drugs...:wink: but i am hoping he isn't.

15. TroMag

TroMag New Member

Albums:
    Yeah, I've heard this argument about his height and leg length and turnover. But the sprint is a sport accessible to anyone, which is why third world countries can be competitive with the richest nations. That means lots of people have sprinted over the years. Surely if leg length and high turnover equaled success in sprinting, the average sprinter would be very tall. Unless you're making the argument that he's the first tall guy that could turnover his legs so fast. Even then, wouldn't we expect a lot of 6'+ guys to be amongst the elite, maybe not as fast as Bolt, but fast enough to dominate guys under 6'?

This reminds me of Lance Armstrong. When a guy comes along and annihilates a field full of people who are doping, you have to assume he is doping, despite passing drug tests. Even in pro cycling, which has arguably the best testing in pro sports, doping is rampant. Why would I expect the Olympics, where there is way more at stake (in terms of national pride) and limited opportunities (one shot every 4 years) to be any different?

16. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

That's pretty much what flashy seems to be saying.
    Having long legs and turning the legs over quickly seem to be somewhat mutually exclusive.
    Some point of height will offer the optimum balance ... and flashy is saying that, most of the time, it's way below Bolt's height ... and I assume below six feet:

17. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Yes, literally, I can't believe Usain Bolt.

One has to think he's getting some chemical aid.

18. Flashy

Gold Member

Draft saved Draft deleted