Stonehenge/summer solstice...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by superbot, Jun 20, 2009.

1. superbot

Gold Member

Druids 'and all' are gathering for the summer solstice tonight,just wondered if anyone has attended this event on the longest day of the year? ....Spooky to think the monument pre-dates the pyramids....

2. evilgirlie

evilgirlie New Member

Albums:
    I used to dream of Stonehenge ever since I was a child....wrote a play about it in high school and hope to see it before I die.

3. Incocknito

Gold Member

Pretty girl.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't been to Stonehenge cos its too far down south. It is an interesting structure though.

Does anyone know how they moved the stones to the site? I heard that the quarry was a few miles away from the site.

4. Reallyonlyme

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    A few miles... try Wales!

http://www.stonehenge.co.uk/history.php

5. evilgirlie

evilgirlie New Member

Albums:

Are you going superbot? will they allow you to take pics? *crosses fingers* Here at home we are celebrating quietly...:smile:

6. superbot

Gold Member

Alas no,it's one of those things one plans on doing but never seems to happen.Have been a couple of times,but no not around the summer/winter exquinox.Was fascinated by the recent discoveries which seem to prove ultimately what the site was really used for.

7. dolfette

Gold Member

it'd be cool to go but those idiot 'druids' get right on my tits.
    all velvet robes & no brains.
    they're not druids. most of them are fucking vegies ffs!
    they're new agers. 'ancient' my arse.

*happy fluffy bunny*

8. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I've visited the site before, but never during summer solstice! Would love to sometime though!

9. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Member

As a Wiccan, summer solistice is on of our holy days. Just got back from celebrating solistice with a group of people we gather with, was a very moving weekend.

10. D_Ted Riding Hooded

D_Ted Riding Hooded New Member

The best view of it is whilst driving along the A303 (I think). Plus it's free. :tongue:

Don't stop,if you're heading from London, carry on to somewhere much better, either Devon or Cornwall. Not that I'm going tell you my favourite beach...:wink:

The only interesting thing about it, as someone mention earlier, is the fact the stones are from the Preseli hills... :eek:

11. superbot

Gold Member

Thinking about it,,Britain has a number of these stone circles, will probably do the Castlerigg stone circle when I'm next home in Cumbria.They pre-date Stonehenge I believe and although much smaller are surrounded by the Lakeland fells which mak them different altogether from Stonehenge!....

12. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    I went to a free rock festival there round about 1977. It was pretty awful; crowds of city-dwellers selling eachother fake drugs, mediocre music, and the solstice dawn was completely overcast with thick grey cloud. Not that you could get near the stones because of the vast crowd. I think it was after that event they fenced off the stones because of minor vandalism and people climbing on the stones. After that there were a few years of annual riots as hardened hippies tried to gain access, until the authorities came up with a controlled summer solstice ceremony.

The irony is that the main event the monument was built to celebrate was actually the midwinter solstice, it is now thought. They didnt' stand in the circle to watch the sun rise over the "heelstone" in summer, they stood at the heelstone to watch the sun rise throught he trilithions at the turning of the year. And celebrated with a mass hog-roast! I may be out of date with that theory, I haven't seen the latest TV "Timewatch" special.

13. Smartalk

Gold Member

There are thoughts that Stonehenge is the heart Chakra of the earth. The following global map shows the rest.

Earth Chakras

14. superbot

Gold Member

It seems certain that Stonehenge was used exclusively as site to honour the dead,i.e ancestors.The 'Time Team' programme revealed this last week as it had access to the latest 'dig' and its results,very interesting.Apparently thousands of years ago people from all over England met at another nearby (wooden) henge and prosessed form one to the other along a sacred path,the first site honurs the living the second the dead.....

15. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
  16. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

Doesnt it get crowded there. Just like in Mexico when the shadow serpent goes down the pyramid on one of the soltices.

17. JustAsking

Gold Member

Gee, but you don't look Druish?

Draft saved Draft deleted