Stop Snitchin!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by RupinX, Apr 26, 2007.

1. RupinX

RupinX Member

Did anyone see the special on CNN's Anderson Cooper 360 (originally aired on 60 minutes) called "Stop Snitching"? A long segment about a code of conduct in the african american rap community basically which demands followers to not "snitch" (tattle tail) or in laymens's terms, not to tell the cops about criminal acts committed. Listening to some of the interviews with Busta Rhymes or CamRon (I think that was his name), I was completely shocked!! Several years ago Rhymes' bodyguard was shot to death. Despite the fact that 20 people witnessed the crime, police have yet to arrest any suspects simply because none of them will "snitch" to the police on who the killer was. The mother and little girl of the killed bodyguard have begged for Busta Rhymes to come forward with the name of the murderer, but he still ignores them.

By far the worst comment though, was when CamRon (sorry I know that isn't his right name), was asked by Anderson Cooper, "so if a neighbor in your building is a serial killer and you know it, would you report him to authorities?" and the rapstar's stunning answer was "naah, no way. I mean why would I? I maybe would move or something, but its not like I am gonna call the cops and say 'yo, the dude is in room 4E'"...:eek:

To me this kind of shocking lifestyle is far far worse than anything Imus ever said the other day because it is the root for all this crap. However, where is all the outrage? My god, I can't believe it is not the top news story in everynewspaper. A famous guy, whose music touches millions of young people around the world, admits that he wouldn't report a serial killer...and he still has a platform to speak out? Please Al Sharpton, where are you now?!

2. naughty

Gold Member

OH Honey,

Al and Jessie have been after them for years and it is about time! THe Don Imus situation seems to have opened the door for change in many areas and I am glad.

3. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Up here in Toronto the police have been running in to this kind
    of thing for years. Everytime there is a shooting in a predominantly
    black night club, no one comes forward to say what happened.
    But then again, it happens in all night clubs. Not just the Hip Hop
    clubs. People are people.

4. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Happens in KC too. Happened about a year ago, actually, at a private party. I think three people died. Pretty sad.

5. agnslz

Gold Member

Exactly! This isn't unique to the rap industry, and it especially isn't unique to the Black community. When I was growing up the message was always not to be a rata (a rat). That was always considered to be worse to do than any criminal act. We saw this mentality during the Enron trial, too. Remember the "whistleblowers" that were featured on the cover of Time magazine just because they were willing to come forward and tell what they knew? And from everything I've ever heard it's also something that is ingrained as part of the culture of the military to not speak out against your fellow soldiers. And who has never been told "Don't be a tattle tail!" by an adult when growing up?

6. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:

You're better than this... they won't bite some of the hands that feed them. This is lip service. They jump and showboat on the Don Imus', but do little within the inner-cyt other than lip service and photo shoots. If they exhibited 1/10 the passion within... we coudl only wish. Progressive Afr-Amer that cry that many of their problems lie within their own community are censored by the likes of Al and Jesse. This is a crock, that anyone with common sense can smell a country mile.

7. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Same thing here, kid was stabbed with a bunch of people around... one person said he witnessed it out of like 20... because they fear being attacked themselves.

8. jfrsndvs

jfrsndvs Member

Albums:
    since the Don Imus thing, there has been a lot of talk about rap/hip hop, I really don't see anything to be done about anytime soon, the biggest problem is the record industry, they will not do anything about it because they make too much money from it.

another problem that helps contribute to it is the parents of these kids that buy this shit, it used to be that parents kept an eye on what their kids were doing, watching on tv, and what they are listening to. these days, parents are too busy doing their own thing and expects somebody else to watch their kids for them.

9. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Thank you. This is an issue of CRIMINAL behavior, not race.

NEXT.

10. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

I almost don't see the prob, in the UK, if you're a witness that instantly makes you a suspect just for either being stupid enough to watch and not intervene, or for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I pray never to be a witness.
    Could call it the Ostrich syndrome.

11. Shelby

Gold Member

Victim junkies.

12. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    I am unfamiliar with the law in the UK. From what you state, Orca, I would imagine that witnesses to crimes can be held criminally liable for not informing the authorities because the UK courts want to prevent inaction. In the US, "not snitching" is both a criminal and a cultural problem with racial overtones.

In SOME urban, Black (and Latino) neighborhoods, "not snitching" has gained cultural acceptance amongst the young for cultural reasons:
    1. In these communities, the police force is often viewed as being antagonistic rather than protective of the community. Blacks and Latinos in the US have historically witnessed police brutality - friends and cousins and neighbors being harassed and killed by the police, whether it was justified or not. So, a natural distrust of the police has been cultivated over decades.
    2. Just because there are historic tensions between some minority commmunities and law enforcement, it doesn't mean that Blacks and Latinos are lacking a sense of morality. The vast majority of Blacks and Latinos grew up within a Catholic/Christian context and therefore are fully aware of the immorality of aiding criminals through silence. (Even the kids in Anderson Cooper were aware of the moral implications of their silence by "not snitchin").
    3. HOWEVER, we must be practical. Even if these individuals were to be more forward with reporting criminals, who will protect the informants and their families? We don't quite see witness protection programs for those who are socio-economically disadvantaged.... Where are the police when the criminals retaliate against the informants and burn their houses or beat up their families? The police are already reluctant to patrol the inner city; why would they go out of their way to protect informants in high crime areas? So, for for personal safety, it's easier to chose one's life over a threat from harm.
    As for the Black community "doing something about it", the publicity about "not snitchin" will prompt action. I'm fairly certain that the Black ministers will be preach about it this Sunday, and the people will take back their community and will teach the young what's right. DO NOT think, though, that the ministers haven't been addressing these problems for years anyway. It's difficult for parents and community leaders to fight a cultural battle against rap artists and musicians who are competing for kids' attention.

The situation has elements of the tragic, but the people still have hope.

13. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:

This bears repeating.

14. RupinX

RupinX Member

Believe it or not, I am not trying to make it a race issue. The point I am trying to make is, what Imus said, were simply words. What these guys are promoting and preaching in their lyrics and lifestyle almost directly leads to condoning murder. Whether they are white, black, asian, latino, green, robot, it doesn't matter. What Imus said is like "sticks and stones may break my bones" stuff. But yet it was the only thing on the news for over week. This stop snitching crap involves the deaths of human beings!!!! Which in my opinion is in a whole other league in terms of what we should be getting upset over. No matter what way you look at it, not even 10% of the energy used towards the firing of Don Imus is being used in getting this crap stopped.

15. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

They're just trying to get a name for themselves.

I don't listen to rap music because its shit. Maybe some of the violence etc is real but a lot of rappers are just playing up to an image (gangsta or whatever). I think the music is dogshit.

I don't care about celebrities that much either. Beckham dyed his hair blond? I don't give a fuck. And OH NO Peter Andre went in for a brain scan...

16. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    This may change in time, too:smile: .

For those who complain about Black leaders like Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, consider that a report such as Anderson Cooper's "Stop Snitchin" may enlightening news to them as well. They were raised on everything from gospel and Ella Fitzgerald to Motown and Marvin Gaye; rap music was a musical form that developed well into their adult careers. So, they may not be actively paying attention to rap music as the youth. "Stop snitchin" is just as informative for older Black Americans as it is for society at large. Now that the topic is receiving the attention, I'm sure there will be more impetus for change.

17. RupinX

RupinX Member

By the way, this piece will be re-broadcasted tonight on AC 360 at 10pm ET for those interested.

18. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    You people are acting like this is something new.

Omertà has been the way of life for ages in certain Mediterranean cultures.

Draft saved Draft deleted