JayPR

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Growing up in the early 90's, once you were out in school, your social life was over. If you were not being bullied already, most of your guy friends were cold with you or even ostracized you. That is why I never came out until I was in my 20s. For me is amazing that the younger generations tend to be more open and cool about this.

Do you have any good experiences or stories about being a young out gay and having your straight buddies backing you up or keeping you as a friend?

Or, if you're straight, did you have a gay guy friend that was your buddy no matter what?

D

deleted5199391

We are probably of the same age. I didn't find a lot of friends at school, but I had a lot of friends already. The community LGBT was quite ok here, I had a lot of new good friends after high school and a ton of sex.

Long Arm of the Law

Expert Member
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Straight guy (as if there really is such a thing to 100% LOL) here. I had a number of gay friends growing up (1993 high school grad), but I had no idea they were gay, they had no idea they were gay, or they knew they were gay but kept it buttoned up. My very first out-and-proud gay friend I met in my hometown the summer before I started college, so again 1993. I don't remember ever thinking anything of it other than "hey, I have a gay friend! How cool!" He wasn't the kind of guy ever to "hit" on me or make even the slightest kind of sexual advance or even jokes. I think at that point in my life that would have made me a bit uncomfortable, as I was already all kinds of f'd up in terms of body image, shame from jacking off (thanks parents!), and being a generally shy loner type of personality. I wouldn't have been offended personally by any kind of sexual advance or joke, but instead the "if people think I'm gay I'll be even more unpopular."

Today, wow, what a complete 180. One of my very best friends is very, very openly gay. He and his gay friends are constantly hitting on me, making sexual jokes, etc. and I find it both flattering and hilarious. So does everyone else. The idea that a gay person would be ostracized these days seems impossible but to be fair I live in Northern California which I know is VERY progressive compared to so many other parts of the world.

Reactions: Kade94
D

deleted15347531

I'm straight, but one of my best friends is gay, he came out at 15 which was pretty bold of him. His parents and friends were all really supportive, but there's always a few assholes at school who take it badly I guess. Luckily for him he could just hang out with us and ignore them as much as possible. Still talk to him a lot even though we live on different continents, seems like he's living his best life tbh.

My older brother is also gay, and definitely goes against stereotypes I guess. Back in high school he was one of the most popular kids, very athletic and openly into dudes since he was 17. I think having that popularity might have made bigots think twice about picking on him.

Reactions: dreambridger

dreambridger

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I didn't come out in high school, unfortunately. But I experienced nothing but encouragement from my friends when I did come out. The majority of my friends are straight men, and I love them dearly. They are very supportive of me, make brilliant and tasteful jokes regarding my sexuality and theirs that never cease to make me laugh, they build me up and tell me that I'm very attractive and I'd be their first pick if they were gay, and they notice my taste in men and point out men in public who I might find attractive and they're usually right, and they cheer me on when I get laid, and they protect me from men who have mistreated me in the past. I have the coolest friends in the world as far as I'm concerned.

lapdog2001

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Straight guy here: When I was growing up, nobody was out of the closet, (including Liberace, Elton John, etc.) Over the years I have learned that many friends from school were gay, but I had no idea that were until many years later. My views on sexuality have changed (for the better!) over my life, and I have nothing but love and support for any and all of the people in my life, no matter their sexuality, or gender identity.

SouthPole

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes; straight guy here too. i have been around many gay friends & even roommates when I was younger. Never been a problem. Although, I admit, I probably would not have been as open-minded when I was in high school (in the 70’s).

I don’t happen to have any gay friends these days (that I know of) but if I did I’d probably be asking them all kinds of questions about my evolving curiosity .....

Reactions: dreambridger