Straight Guy's and Speedo's

1st Like
Media
I didn't see a recent post on this topic, but with summer around the corner, I was curious on the current thinking from other straight guy's on this forum on the topic of wearing a speedo to the pool or beach.

I swim at my gym a couple of times a week, am somewhat fit, and wear a speedo for my workouts. A year ago I decided to step out of the board short wearing majority and start wearing them at the beach too mostly to get a better tan, but I am clearly in the minority.

I'm curious what other straight guys think of the whole speedo topic and if you currently don't wear one, would you if more guys did, or would you wear one only in certain circumstances, or never at all.

Reactions: sweetlucky12

mistabobdobalina

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It's a fashion thing.

To me, it looks akin to someone wearing a football helmet to the mall. It's sporting equipment.

To others, they look too much like bikini bottoms, which are associated as women's wear.

I don't have a moral opposition to them and I don't freak out if I see someone wearing one, but to me they look very unfashionable for someone who's swimming casually.

wowbro10

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In my younger days, I sometimes wore a speedo...use swim trunks now but they are older...as I like the trunks with short legs. These new knee length are terrible for swimming...I think...better yet, prefer nude swims when at all possible.

Reactions: Tight_End_SC

why is there a problem with speedos? in europe it's the norm, for all men... straight or gay. what's the big deal in the US?

I'm not sure it's the norm in Europe. In swimming pools where people go to actually swim yes, but at the beach and in resorts they're clearly a minority.

I do have a speedo, but I only wear it when I go to an actual swimming pool (so not a hotel swimming pool)... which hardly ever happens, but I keep it just in case.

At the beach, I generally go with the flow and wear a knee-length boardshort. I think it's also more practical, because for example you can wear them if you want to go shopping along the beach, whereas if I would feel uncomfortable walking in the street wearing only a speedo.

D_F_Ng_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm not sure it's the norm in Europe. In swimming pools where people go to actually swim yes, but at the beach and in resorts they're clearly a minority.

I do have a speedo, but I only wear it when I go to an actual swimming pool (so not a hotel swimming pool)... which hardly ever happens, but I keep it just in case.

At the beach, I generally go with the flow and wear a knee-length boardshort. I think it's also more practical, because for example you can wear them if you want to go shopping along the beach, whereas if I would feel uncomfortable walking in the street wearing only a speedo.

Ditto.

But it is true that in Europeans swimming pool they are sometimes compulsory (basically in all the French pools, for instance).
Dunno why, someone told me it is because it is supposed to be better for the hygiene but it doesn't make sense to me.

CockNAweSD

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wore them all the time in HS. Its normal. Never been on a swim team or seen a swim meet in anything else. Some wear compression types but for the most part, its speedos. I still wear them at the pool on campus.

MilkDaddy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Clifton and Gangam..

I'm sure different parts of Europe are different with regard to Speedos...
The US is a much less evolved nation.
Just look at our puritanical censorship.
Just look at Men's fashion in the US...or should I say the lack of?
I don't wear speedos, well, sometimes I'll wear bikini underwear...But have no problem with someone wearing one so long as they have the build for it. lol
They are also excellent for tanning I agree.

Reactions: ronin001

B_bigdick2323

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I would wear them if more men did but the fact is, you can't wear something like that if your straight without being called gay or just laughed at in general here in the US, aren't we great? we also don't have co ed locker rooms like they do in europe....the women must all me immature here and they they will get cooties if they change in the same room as a man....because we are certainly not all grown adults...I swear sometimes I envy europeans

Reactions: terrib1923456789

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm curious what other straight guys think of the whole speedo topic and if you currently don't wear one, would you if more guys did, or would you wear one only in certain circumstances, or never at all.

Nope. Not now, not ever. Call me an American, but no, I won't.

My wife, my daughters, their friends are completely turned off by guys in Speedos, regardless of his physique.

mistabobdobalina

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
we also don't have co ed locker rooms like they do in europe....the women must all me immature here and they they will get cooties if they change in the same room as a man.

They don't change in the same room. The "co ed locker room" has individual changing rooms inside of it. You go inside those to change.

And they have those style of locker rooms here in the US too.

MrUnderThere

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

I, personally, do not mind seeing or being around a guy in a 'speedo' (though, technically, Speedo make a variety of suits; it is generally assumed that in saying 'speedo' the reference is to a swim brief).

The problem is that, for some reason, society in the U.S. has come to the conclusion that those types of swim suits are only worn by (a) serious swimmers, or (b) gay men, or (c) guys that are trying to flaunt their stuff. U.S. society is weird that way. Take for example how that, for women, the trend or fashion for years has been for skimpier, more suggestive suits (i.e. thongs). But for men, the trend is more conservative; look how long the basketball shorts are now compared to the 1970s--it is really odd, the dual standard. I attribute that to society's way to avoid seeming 'gay' -- that only gay men wear short shorts, etc. <end rant>

To get back to answering the questions...
No, I do not wear a swim brief in public. Primarily because I do not have the body for one (too fat), and, yes, because of the associated stigma about them.

If, however, (a) more guys wore them, and (b) if I were to be in shape, I would consider wearing one in public (I do own quite a few of them as part of my underwear/swimwear collection). I think they provide more freedom of movement and definitely make a much more attractive tan line.

What kind of swim suit do I currently wear? I had worn today's standard, traditional, conservative, baggy swim suit for some swimming lessons a year ago, and ended up with a horrible rash above my knees from the bottom of the legs of the short. So, I switched to, and at present, I will stick with, wearing swim jammers (yes those 'bike short' looking suits). Not only do they not cause that painful rash above my knees, but being that I am overweight they also help prevent chafing/soreness from my thighs rubbing together. Sorry if that was TMI.

Reactions: hunghorse30

nicecircjob

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Egg that's the silliest thing I have ever heard. I don't consider a guys circumcised dick head showing in his swim suit offensive. I thought I had heard it all but I was wrong. Gee.

Reactions: cbxer55

cofrader

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I bring both if i'm planing to swim i loose the trunks
If i'm planing to standing on the water it would be trunks.
I wont go against what is socially acepted.

rockncock91

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was on swim team in HS. Have always worn speedos except when I went on a cruise and then it was board shorts or Boxer Brief style swim trunks