Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I personally prefer hugs over handshakes and think I always will. My friends hug in most cases where handshakes would be used except for the occassional fist bump. This includes all friends guys and girls and I have actually seen my guy friends hug more than any other combination. My uncles try to shake hands but for the last few years I have tried to get them to realize that I am going to give them a hug. I actually hate the akward situation that occurs when one goes for the hug and the other the shake. For this reason alone hugging should be the primary interaction. Hugs are also more sanitary than handshakes. I'm guessing most guys have issues with hugs because of personal space and that they are "less masculine." At my dojo everyone hugs each other and nothing less would be expected especially working in very close proximity with them already. We've talked about how the typical straight male is only comfortable with contact like fist or chest bumps. You've gotta love your fellow man so you might as well start giving them hugs!