Straight Guys in Spin Class?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Lynx, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Lynx

Lynx Member

Albums:
    I am a big fan of my gym's Spin Class. As the majority of my spinmates are ladies, I just wonder why there aren't more gents who take the course? Is there a stigma? Is it a "girls" thing? Would straight guys feel uncomfortable being around all those sweaty ladies in tight Lycra? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts!

2. houtx48

Gold Member

queens both men and women love spin classes

3. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    I do one of those tae bo workouts twice a week. I'm usually the only guy in there, or at least the only guy that stays the entire time. At first I felt kind of gay but once I realized the benefits of it I quickly moved past that. It is a shame all the other male egos in the gym won't allow them to partake, because if they did they would be in a lot better shape.

4. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Strange, spinningclasses are quite popular here for both sexes, women participate to loose fat on their bottom and men to improve their condition. But yeah, more women participate, but you are never the only guy in the class here.

5. Gnashin Teefe

Gnashin Teefe New Member

the spinning class that i attend is usually an even mix of men and women. the spinning instructor is female but kicks everyone's ass - i think that's why the guys like it.

6. tgw

tgw
    Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    A friend of mine used to do spin classes and swore by it. BTW, he's a guy and very much heterosexual.

I say who cares if you enjoy it and are getting some kind of physical activity. I always thought about trying it, but never have.

7. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was the only guy in the Pilates class at my gym, but it did wonders for my dodgy back.

8. jacksoff

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The class i attend now is mostly girls, but at the gym i went to before it was closer to even. My class has all female instructors as well and they all kick my ass. It's a lot better cardio work out than most guys get so I could care less what anyone thinks.

9. AG08

Gold Member

I never really thought anything about it before. For me, I just hate cycling (real or stationary). I would rather do anything else in the gym (weights, swimming, treadmill or cross trainer) than use a bike. I don't know why - I just don't like cycling at all. If you enjoy doing it though, don't worry about what other people think or say. If you enjoy doing what you're doing, you will stick with it and that's the most important thing in order to stay healthy. Too many people nowadays don't exercise at all. My colleague (who is 5 years younger than me) has turned into a real blob (he has no definition and is round with a huge flabby gut hanging over his belt), and doesn't seem to care. He's a nice guy, but geez his wife must be sickened by him at times. He has told me that she gets on his case about not exercising. On top of not exercising, he has an absolutely appalling diet of fried food daily.

#9 AG08, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  10. midlifebear

Gold Member

I'm gay and have never understood the need to get overworked and sweaty with a crowd in an enclosed place. The primary reason I still have a 1995 Jeep with less than 120,000 miles on it is because I've always preferred to ride a bicycle -- touring bike or mountain bike. Instead of the body odor or mixture of body odor and cologne from the sweatin' spinner next to me, I have the outdoor air. Nothing like cranking up a canyon above Barçelona or across a rural road in the pamapas outside of Buenos Aires and then rolling back home heady on endorphins.

11. eastbaydude

eastbaydude New Member

Albums:
    Would a stright guy be afraid to be around a bunch of sweaty girls? No!

ALthough this doesn't represent 100% of stright men, we don't typically take exercise classes. It's mostly girls. I've tried them and just don't enjoy them. (I'm also, not very good at them.)

12. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's definitely a banner day for the guys if we are even 20 percent of a spinning class.

Anyway, I second the last post: There aren't a lot of guys in spinning classes because exercise classes just aren't something a lot of guys like to do. Plus, anyone who knows their way around the inside a gym knows that a standard exercise bike is one of the weakest cardio workouts available there.

By contrast, spinning is probably the best cardio workout you can get if you have an hour to spend inside a gym. A friend dragged me into it initially (I had never done an exercise class before) and now I do it once or twice a week.

Steve

13. Lynx

Lynx Member

Albums:
    Well, perhaps having a very cute instructor helps attendance! Ive even seen pushing to get the bikes in the front row when a particularly nice trainer is giving the class! God bless spandex! haha

14. Lynx

Lynx Member

Albums:
    Ive recently been on vacation and attended a lunch-time spin class during the week. It was full at about 50% men, 50% ladies. Perhaps I've just been in the wrong classes!

15. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

Probably for the same reasons they dont hit the aerobics class. They do not consider it "Manly". Lifting weights is "Manly".

And probably for the same reasons I do not see many woman using weights since they are so "Manly". At my gym, I think I only saw one girl bench press. The weight was light and she had her trainer/ manager/ boyfreind with her, spotting. And she had a slammin body too. She works in the "industry".

16. Boobalaa

Gold Member

depends on which class i go to..With 3 different coaches/instructors and 3 different techniques..I've noticed different crowds..I'm usually the guy in the very back row..The newbies are always the good ones for "vpl's" and whale-tails

17. lerotic

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    I got to spin twice a week and love it... It's a stonking cardio workout and no matter what a lot of people think you don't see a great deal. When you're flat out it's hard to look around at what's going on. Before and especially after i sneak a look but during the session at my gym the lights are down with only a low spotlight on my own bike so i can see my gearing.. I can see the girl ion front of me "just" but no time to admire..

These girls are fit and you gotta keep up!

18. D_Jerry_Atric

D_Jerry_Atric Account Disabled

LMAO your comments are always funny houtx48.

What is a spin class? At first I thought you meant knitting or something?

I love doing cardio exercises but I don't need a class to do them and I'll just run outside, or use an elliptical machine or swim in a pool if one is available at a gym. Oddly enough I loathe running on treadmills.

#18 D_Jerry_Atric, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  19. heist

heist New Member

Albums:
    Most guys I know prefer running over bicycling/spinning -- but of course, there are a few who don't fit the norm.

As for me, I've never liked running. So I just use the bicycle by myself in the corner.

20. B_WER25

B_WER25 New Member

That's actually funny because I'm the only guy in my spin class. They have it every Saturday at 7 AM at the gym on AF base where I live. It might be because I'm the only guy WILLING to get up at 6:30 to go or maybe it's just a chick thing, I don't know. But yeah, guys DO do spin class, it's not a sexist thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted