Straight shave?

Ed69

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Anyone else use a blade like this for shaving?All the new diposable stuff sucks for quality of shave and you have to keep buying new blades adding to the dumps or land fills.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ed69

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The old safety will give a great shave.But when the blade dulls you can't hone it.That's my gripe I'm sick of throwing money away,$200.00 a year when I can rehone a straight at no cost!

walnutgrain

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I use a Dovo Bismarck.

Picture-24.png

It took some practice to use. Gives a great shave. The scooped out blade lets me catch more foam before cleaning it off.

I love this book on shaving. It's more than just an instructional guide.

Sharp Practice: The Real Man's Guide To Shaving

Blorkin

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The old safety will give a great shave.But when the blade dulls you can't hone it.That's my gripe I'm sick of throwing money away,$200.00 a year when I can rehone a straight at no cost!

I don't know where you get your safety razor blades, even Feathers do not cost that much. But to answer your question, no I do not use a straight blade I use a DE safety razor, as soon as I get the money I plan to buy one though. If you want to learn I would recommend Badger & Blade - Home Its where I learned. If you get one make sure that it is shave ready, you can easily destroy a strop on your first time so make sure you get a cheap one, then later go and buy your hones for sharpening.

SCSea

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The downside of switching to a straight is that you will be a mess for at least a month or two as you get skilled and your face adapts.

For me, a frequently-replaced Fusion Power cartridge and an aloe-free shave gel = skinhead-close shaves, no bumps. I haven't cut myself since I switched to Fusion, and I have the quintessential babyface. I was practically anemic after three months of straight razor shaves.

Ed69

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't know where you get your safety razor blades, even Feathers do not cost that much.
Sorry,I was talking about multi blade disposable razors that only last 3 shaves for me and the canned jell or foam.If I shave with those things from Wallmart,yes it is 200 a year.I don't care how cheap you get your feathers,when they're done you throw them out right?And no I'm not new to straight shaving,nore have I destroyed a strop or cut myself.

Ed69

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So most males are pussy boys that can't hold a steady hand?It's sad,you'll never know what a realy close smooth shave is.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
For years, I used a Gillette Sensor cartridge razor, at a cost approaching $2 per cartridge. Now I use a Merkur 34C safety razor, and after trying at least 20 brands of blade, have settled on Timor Solingen blades, which cost about $0.50 each. Of course, as I now change blades twice a week instead of once a week and use good shaving soap or cream with a badger-hair brush, I am not sure that I am saving any money, even over the long run. But I am producing much less garbage.

Straight razors scare the crap out of me. Every time I see one, I think of Sweeney Todd, and of a movie I saw in which I guy starts slicing himself up with one. I don't think I could bear even to have one in the house, much less use one for shaving.

Last edited:

Pierced1953

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
The staright razors give the best shave. Used to have a gal at a spa do it for me and it was great. With my poor vison I can't do it myself but my gf is learning. Love being that smooth.

jockmaestro

Loved Member
Media
Anyone else use a blade like this for shaving?All the new diposable stuff sucks for quality of shave and you have to keep buying new blades adding to the dumps or land fills.

Yes, I believe Sweeney Todd availed himself of just such a razor.
"But first, sir, I think... a shave!'
"The CLOSEST I ever gave...!"