Straight shave?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Ed69, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Ed69

Gold Member

Anyone else use a blade like this for shaving?All the new diposable stuff sucks for quality of shave and you have to keep buying new blades adding to the dumps or land fills.

Attached Files:

#1 Ed69, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. ineeduiwantu

ineeduiwantu Active Member

Albums:
    im thinking of going with the old school safety razor. they are pretty good too.

3. Ed69

Gold Member

The old safety will give a great shave.But when the blade dulls you can't hone it.That's my gripe I'm sick of throwing money away,$200.00 a year when I can rehone a straight at no cost!

4. walnutgrain

walnutgrain New Member

I use a Dovo Bismarck.

[​IMG]

It took some practice to use. Gives a great shave. The scooped out blade lets me catch more foam before cleaning it off.

I love this book on shaving. It's more than just an instructional guide.

Sharp Practice: The Real Man's Guide To Shaving

5. B_thenakedgardener

B_thenakedgardener New Member

Have any of you guys used a hair remover cream? I was hopping it would make the hair grow back softer

6. Blorkin

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo

I don't know where you get your safety razor blades, even Feathers do not cost that much. But to answer your question, no I do not use a straight blade I use a DE safety razor, as soon as I get the money I plan to buy one though. If you want to learn I would recommend Badger & Blade - Home Its where I learned. If you get one make sure that it is shave ready, you can easily destroy a strop on your first time so make sure you get a cheap one, then later go and buy your hones for sharpening.

7. SCSea

SCSea Member

The downside of switching to a straight is that you will be a mess for at least a month or two as you get skilled and your face adapts.

For me, a frequently-replaced Fusion Power cartridge and an aloe-free shave gel = skinhead-close shaves, no bumps. I haven't cut myself since I switched to Fusion, and I have the quintessential babyface. I was practically anemic after three months of straight razor shaves.

8. Ed69

Gold Member

Sorry,I was talking about multi blade disposable razors that only last 3 shaves for me and the canned jell or foam.If I shave with those things from Wallmart,yes it is 200 a year.I don't care how cheap you get your feathers,when they're done you throw them out right?And no I'm not new to straight shaving,nore have I destroyed a strop or cut myself.

9. Ed69

Gold Member

So most males are pussy boys that can't hold a steady hand?It's sad,you'll never know what a realy close smooth shave is.

10. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    For years, I used a Gillette Sensor cartridge razor, at a cost approaching $2 per cartridge. Now I use a Merkur 34C safety razor, and after trying at least 20 brands of blade, have settled on Timor Solingen blades, which cost about $0.50 each. Of course, as I now change blades twice a week instead of once a week and use good shaving soap or cream with a badger-hair brush, I am not sure that I am saving any money, even over the long run. But I am producing much less garbage.

Straight razors scare the crap out of me. Every time I see one, I think of Sweeney Todd, and of a movie I saw in which I guy starts slicing himself up with one. I don't think I could bear even to have one in the house, much less use one for shaving.

#10 Calboner, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  11. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Makin' friends on the site all the time, eh?

:wink:

12. Pierced1953

Pierced1953 New Member

Albums:
    The staright razors give the best shave. Used to have a gal at a spa do it for me and it was great. With my poor vison I can't do it myself but my gf is learning. Love being that smooth.

13. jockmaestro

Gold Member

Yes, I believe Sweeney Todd availed himself of just such a razor.
    "But first, sir, I think... a shave!'
    "The CLOSEST I ever gave...!"

Draft saved Draft deleted