Straight v.s. Gynephile (sexology survey)

As described below, I would consider myself...

• Heterosexual — femaleness is more important than femininity

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Gynephilic — femininity is more important than femaleness

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Both — both femaleness and femininity are important

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Neither — neither femaleness nor femininity is important

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This distinction doesn't make sense

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Kazimir

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Greetings!
I'm looking into the basis of sexual attraction, and would appreciate you taking a moment to answer this one-question survey.

For the purposes of this question, HETEROSEXUALITY refers to sexual attraction to women, and GYNEPHILIA refers to sexual attraction to femininity.

462px-Androphilia-gynephilia~2.jpg

Please consider the following:
1) How do you feel about masculine women?
2) How do you feel about feminine men?
3) How important is physical femaleness v.s. feminine presentation?
4) Is there a certain threshold of femininity someone must pass before you're sexually interested? If so, can it be passed by someone who isn't female?

This is not an attempt to illicit gay content from straight guys — just to learn what makes us tick. There is no right answer.

This is the straight equivalent to a poll already going in the "Ask a Gay Man" forum. I'm curious if the results will be similar.

Reactions: lapdog2001

thickcockjames

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Greetings!
I'm looking into the basis of sexual attraction, and would appreciate you taking a moment to answer this one-question survey.

For the purposes of this question, HETEROSEXUALITY refers to sexual attraction to women, and GYNEPHILIA refers to sexual attraction to femininity.

View attachment 89895531

Please consider the following:
4) Is there a certain threshold of femininity someone must pass before you're sexually interested? If so, can it be passed by someone who isn't female?

This is not an attempt to illicit gay content from straight guys — just to learn what makes us tick. There is no right answer.

This is the straight equivalent to a poll already going in the "Ask a Gay Man" forum. I'm curious if the results will be similar.

Masculine women? Kind of depends, if you're talking about the traditional "tom boy" then yeah, I find them to be attractive. A woman who is athletic, and strong for sure. It's a sliding scale though, I'm not necessarily into women with broader shoulders than me.

Feminine men? I have asked myself this question quite a bit, I've come to the conclusion that I would be open to the idea of being with someone who was born a man, but has feminine features and identifies as a woman. I certainly seen trans women I found to be very attractive. I wouldn't say I'm attracted to just feminine men though.

Physical femaleness vs feminine presentation? I suppose it would depend on the person. Again, a woman who just dresses in my traditional male clothing can still be very attractive to me. I think it would depend on the person.

Femininity threshold? I think I kinda answered that in the other questions. I think identifying as a female is a big deal for me, not 100% why, but it is. haha.

Reactions: ToryK and Kazimir

lapdog2001

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Both being a woman with a vagina, and being somewhat feminine are what I am attracted to. I also find myself not really attracted to 99% of the trans women I've ever seen, especially of they still have a penis.

Not my thing. Athletic? Sure but truly masculine? Nope.
I've met plenty of effeminate men in my life, and there is zero attraction to them.
I like the combination of both these traits. A tomboy or athlete is fine
My threshold is a woman born with a vagina, who doesn't look or act like a stereotypical male.

BetterFuture

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm both heterosexual and gynephilic (but I did have to look that word up!).
It's fine for women to be masculine if they are or want to, but I'm not attracted to those traits. I do like athletic and strong, but not masculine.

It doesn't concern me one way or another. They are free to be however they want to be.

For a potential sex partner, I would want her to be a cisgender woman. Feminine presentation is not enough on its own for me to be attracted.

Yes, she must be quite feminine for me to be sexually interested. No, it cannot be passed by someone who isn't female.

For the record, these are just my preferences for sexual partners. I feel strongly that all people can be and/or present themselves however they want.

Kazimir

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Thank you all so much! This has been up for a little over a month, and here are the results, from both the gay and straight men's surveys:

Graph - 3-24 data.png

For straight men, this suggests that physical sex is the dominant determiner of attraction, being considered important by 100% of respondents. A feminine expression was important to a majority of respondents, but never more so than (or independently from) physical sex.

In contrast, for gay men, the survey suggests that gender expression is the more dominant determiner of attraction. It would appear to be more important, broadly speaking, than physical sex is. 1 out of 3 respondents considered it to be the primary determiner in whether someone was sexually attractive to them.

How useful is this data?
Not very.
The sample size (n=36) is very small, there is no redundancy built into the questionnaire to ensure accuracy, and the respondents are not randomly selected. These are significant weaknesses. So take these results with a big grain of salt.
However, it may suggest a real underlying difference in how the sexualities of gay and straight men work. And it hints at a hitherto unexplored distinction between androphilia and homosexuality in men. Hopefully this is studied more properly in the future.

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This question poses a distinction I've probably danced around but never really sat to think about it. I answered both as it is most applicable to the relationships I seek, but I could make a further distinction by separating it as sexually heterosexual, but visually gynephilic. When it comes to whom I want to actively engage in sex with, femaleness trumps femininity. There's the tomboy archetype obviously, but even amongst most of the collectively agreed upon "most beautiful women" are there hints of androgyny if not all out somewhat masculine features present that pose little to no obstacle for the desire to sample the "OEM equipment" as it was...when it comes to the visual, because there is no expectation of sexual engagement, it's easier to appreciate the feminine aesthetic, such as that of a transwoman, but that can also extend to gynoids and inanimate objects as well, devoid of gender but possessing visual traits of femininity, that can excite visually without having to possess objective "femaleness".
Closest parallel I often return to is car culture..lots of guys have models, posters, and pictures of cars they would never want to own in person for whatever reason but love to look at, yet drive something everyday without headache, even if the vehicle has some features that aren't his favorite.

Reactions: Kazimir