Strangest Place names you have known

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A post in the remedial Grammar thread led me to do this.

There are some strange and mysterious place names in the UK and of course elswhere. In a job I had years ago a colleague kept a list of those she found dunno why but I may still have it. Meanwhile I do recall this one as a starter for ten:

Pratts Bottom (Kent village)

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
LOST - a small village in Scotland.

When I was growing up in Northumberland there was a small village called ULGHAM which everyone pronounced UFFHAM.

Honey Honoria

1st Like
Media
Don't know about the UK, but down in Newfoundland there's a town called "Dildo"...

Also another one near here called "Climax", though that's not quite so bad.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Honey Honoria said:
Don't know about the UK, but down in Newfoundland there's a town called "Dildo"...

Also another one near here called "Climax", though that's not quite so bad.

Newfoundland has some beauties in addition to Dildo.

Ass Hill
Ass Rock
Back Cove
Bareneed
Come-By-Chance
Comfort Cove
Conception Bay
Funk Lake
Gander
Leading Tickles West
Little Seldom
Stag Harbour
Tickle Cove
Virgin Arm

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Damn, you beat me to it.

Newfoundland has a host of suggestive place names...

Tit Cove, Pushthrough, Hornwood, Seldom as well as Leading Tickles, Black Tickles and American Tickles.

I've heard about a place called Comebychance but have yet to find it on the map.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
well... if you go down my street and turn right that'll put you on Round Lick Lane. I don't know why they didn't just go ahead and name it Rim Job Road.

I spent the first half of August 2004 in Hel, Poland.

and the first eight years of my life in Manassas (actually pronounced pretty close to "man asses," emphasis on the first syllable of asses, and better known for it's men's penises- namely John Wayne Bobbit's)

close by is another hamlet called Dumfries.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Gillette said:
Damn, you beat me to it.

Newfoundland has a host of suggestive place names...

Tit Cove, Pushthrough, Hornwood, Seldom as well as Leading Tickles, Black Tickles and American Tickles.

I've heard about a place called Comebychance but have yet to find it on the map.
I absolutely love visiting your province Gillette, (Fond memories of past vacations.)
which brings to mind Nova Scotia's delightfully named Meat Cove and Shag Harbour. :tongue:

Wales has some beauties, apparantly this is the longest place name in the world: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch. I also went through a town called Cumbum whilst on a bus in India.

zaza

Experimental Member
Media
Here in Dorset, England have a village called Shitterton.

We also have the river piddle, which flows through the piddle valley. Two of the villages in the valley are called Piddletrenthide and Piddlehinton. They bottle the water there and it is known as piddle water.

My cousin went to a school that was called Bucklers Hard School.

Also here in Dorset we have the Cerne Abbas Giant. Nothing to do with strange place names I know, but it must be a little unusual to have a giant with a permanent erection over looking your village.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
zaza said:
Here in Dorset, England have a village called Shitterton.

We also have the river piddle, which flows through the piddle valley. Two of the villages in the valley are called Piddletrenthide and Piddlehinton. They bottle the water there and it is known as piddle water.

My cousin went to a school that was called Bucklers Hard School.

Also here in Dorset we have the Cerne Abbas Giant. Nothing to do with strange place names I know, but it must be a little unusual to have a giant with a permanent erection over looking your village.

There's a place in Quebec called Shitagoo Lake.:Flush:

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Since most of the place names (unless indigenous American Indian like "Nantucket") have English origins I'll name a few that are odd but true:

Swampscott (pronounced "swamp' skit")

Stoneham (pronounced "Stone Ham" two distinct syllables - not "Stonehum")

Athol (pronounced "Ath hall")

Somerset (until I was familiar with England I always assumed this was American Indian in derivation)

Barnstable (pronounced "Barns' tubble" emphasis first syllable)

These are all Massachusetts place names.

Also there's a town in New York State called "Delhi" but it's pronounced "Dell High" equal emphasis both syllables)

However I understand several states have towns called "Intercourse" :33:

zaza said:

I'm from somerset originally, i remember going on a school trip to that giant, we were only about 10 at the time and i remember everyone finding it hilarious that you could see his knob

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In the South of France there's a hamlet called:

"Cunty"

I once travelled the small road "Chemin de Cunty" which is an area or section of the larger town "Pernes-Les-Fontaines".