Strength & diet

lookatthat

Cherished Member
Media
Charleston (South Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is there any correlation between diet and strength? I read things about losing weight and gaining muscle size... but what if you don't care about your appearance but just want to become stronger?

Also, what is the optimal way to increase strength? Heavy and low reps, manageable and moderate reps?

dfresh3

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh my God yes. It is probably the most important thing. Basically if you don't care about physique and want to be strong you eat a ton of calories. Look at the top level strength athletes. They look huge, but fat.

As for training programs and reps, you will be better off getting advice elsewhere other than a dick website. Google 5x5 program or 531 program. Very simple and basic and I have used both in the past with good results

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There is definitely a correlation between strength/fitness and your overall diet. An inadequate protein intake will lead to less than optimal recovery and progress, your body needs the amino acids to repair damaged muscle tissue from exercise and for hypertrophy to occur. An inadequate caloric intake will limit the amount of lean body mass you can build as well as impair your ability to recover from exercise. The reason why most people tend to lose a bit of strength on a "cut" is due to a few variables, but most of this strength loss can be minimized if you lose weight slowly and with a more moderate caloric deficit instead of the far more aggressive fat loss phases that people tend to put themselves through.

If your goal is to get stronger you will need to build up some muscle mass, there really is no way around this. However, noobs to lifting can make tremendous strength progess due to increased neural efficiency, meaning that their bodies are learning how to execute the movement and utilize as many muscle fibers as efficiently as possible. This can be compared to any physical movement that you are unfamiliar with, remember how wobbly and awkward you felt when you first learned to ride a bike. As for what rep range to use and how to train, you are better off sticking with a more moderate rep range (5-8 or so) as this is heavy enough to put your muscles under mechanical stress but will also provide them enough volume and stimulus to grow, if you do enough work sets. Powerlifters often train with very low reps with weights that are close to their max, 90%+, this will train their nervous system for a 1 rep max but will require proper programming, as this easily leads to nervous system fatigue. However, they will also incorporate a moderate to high volume of accessory work that will provide the stimulus to grow their muscle mass.

So, I think you'd be better off focusing on a training routine that is focused on a few compound lifts done in a more moderate rep range with multiple sets. Stop one or two reps shy of failure and focus on slowly increasing the weight over time. Consider purchasing a set of micro weight plates, as this will allow you to make a jump of as low as half a pound per workout. Full body lifting workouts 3 days per week and you'll get strong pretty quickly if you eat properly.

Reactions: Belly Doe

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Most of the advice I've seen about getting big and strong is to eat as much food as you possibly can, then eat more until it hurts. The guys who do this don't generally worry about "clean" eating. They just inhale pizzas.

There was a website called 70sbig that was dedicated to gaining massive strength, but at the moment it looks like it's down.

lookatthat

Cherished Member
Media
Charleston (South Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks for the help.
I don't want to be a turn of the century strongman with a curlicue moustache in a onesie lifting round barbells, or tossing kegs on ESPN2... I just want to be strong enough to work out with significant weight, and handle that significant weight at high reps.

Additionally, I've never been able to do pull ups. Regular, ordinary, non-straining pull ups. If I pack on weight to get stronger, then the goal is more difficult. Ideally I'd like to get lighter and stronger.

Reactions: twoton

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
In that case, have you tried following one of the popular lifting programs? The one that's taught by Mark Rippetoe is a good place to start. It's called "Starting Strength" and is based on a 5x5 regimen, five sets of five reps of the five basic lifts: squat, dead, press, bench press, and clean. He has an extensive website and a few books. Google starting strength.

surfnwoody

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lost my trim body when I worked construction. Added muscles, and weight, were a big plus at the time. But with winter it all went south.... Didn't take long, overweight. YouTube has a funny video, 'I don't look good naked anymore'... So true. :)

JackDoff

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I'm dieting for fat loss my strength goes down. I tend to use lighter weights and higher reps during this stage. When gaining weight my strength will climb quite rapidly and I'm 45 soon.

For a high calorie pre workout shake try:
3/4 pint full fat milk
1 or 2 bananas
2 scoops of whey protein
2 scoops of oats
Dessert spoon of natural peanut butter

blend the lot and drink an hour before training - you'll be getting circa 7-800 cals just in one shake. If you want to gain weight drink another 1 or 2 of these shakes during the day along with your meals. I drink those shakes before training and sometimes during the day when sitting down to a meal isn't available such as at work. The only difference is I'm lactose intolerant and make mine with water which means less cals but no bloated belly.

I have 5-6 meals a day regardless of dieting or gaining. It's just the macros you'll need to change ie fat loss lower the carb intake and up the protein keeping fats moderate. Your body can cope without carbs completely but needs essential fatty acids, protein & fibre. You can loose fat by going on a high fat high protein diet - sounds backwards I know but it's carbs that create fat due to insulin spikes. Stick to complex carbs such as oats rice couscous sweet potato etc and avoid simple carbs like sugar.

For strength training I agree with the lads above - google 5x5 if you're getting to your 5th rep easily the weight isn't heavy enough - too many people will do their 5 or 10 reps then stop when there was still more in the tank. The final reps should be a struggle if not impossible - getting to muscle failure is breaking down the muscle tissue which will cause growth thru hypertrophy. Muscles aren't made in the gym they're broken down in the gym and made when you eat and rest.

So i agree with @Flexxx but would add Sleep BIG too!

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
When I'm dieting for fat loss my strength goes down. I tend to use lighter weights and higher reps during this stage.

When you switch back to the heavier weights, where do you start from? Weaker than where the previous cycle of heavy started? Or do you maintain some of the gains while you're on the fat loss lifting?

JackDoff

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When you switch back to the heavier weights, where do you start from? Weaker than where the previous cycle of heavy started? Or do you maintain some of the gains while you're on the fat loss lifting?

When I start eating more carbs my strength starts to come back and I can do a few more reps at this poinmt I start picking up heavier weights if I'm hitting the 10-12 rep range easily I'll go heavier until it's a struggle to hit that range. You'd be surprised at how fast the strength comes back.

I bench with DBs rather than the bar and first session back after xmas 37kg in each hand was my best after two sessions I'm back to 45kg in each hand without a spotter and could easily do 50kg with a spotter or someone to pass one of the DBs to me. Just listen to your body and don't be afraid to go heavy and fail after a couple of reps. Part of lifting heavy is overcoming the mental fight of the weight - once you've held it and lifted it once or twice you're mentally prepared to lift it again.

We all have good & bad days in the gym so don't expect the same results every time you hit the gym..

JackDoff

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had rest BIG in my plan too....

I'm crap at sleeping - 3-4hrs is the best I get unless medicated or drinking. Don't really like taking sleepers but will sometimes at weekends just to get a quality nights sleep. If sleep comes easy get as much as you can that's when the body repairs the damage done in the gym.

JackDoff

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Unlucky mate - I'm 45 next month and have to remind myself of this constantly. Just take it easy and rest the shoulder for now the gym will always be there.

Do you take any meds for training? Test or HGH for example. HGH or peptides will assist in recovery.

Leixman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Try some neutral grip shoulder width pull ups when u get back training,i find these the easiest to start off with plus they are easier on the wrists and shoulders

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
Oh my God yes. It is probably the most important thing. Basically if you don't care about physique and want to be strong you eat a ton of calories. Look at the top level strength athletes. They look huge, but fat.

As for training programs and reps, you will be better off getting advice elsewhere other than a dick website. Google 5x5 program or 531 program. Very simple and basic and I have used both in the past with good results

this is hypothetically true but at some point the extra calories get you so fat that your heart and health start to suffer so lets not go quite to that extreme

5x5 is pretty popular but there are several different write ups on how to do it, on the upside I have never seen one that I thought was terrible they were all at lest fair and most were good to great

dfresh3

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
this is hypothetically true but at some point the extra calories get you so fat that your heart and health start to suffer so lets not go quite to that extreme

5x5 is pretty popular but there are several different write ups on how to do it, on the upside I have never seen one that I thought was terrible they were all at lest fair and most were good to great

Well i dont think it was an example he was going to follow and it wasnt one i reccomended, that that absolutly is what top level strength atheletes do. And if you think their heart health problems come from just their diet you are missing some key points...