Stress!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by exwhyzee, Sep 3, 2010.

1. exwhyzee

Gold Member

My physical last week revealed that I'm exhibiting classic symptoms of stress in the form of insomnia, poor concentration and forgetfulness, anxiety and withdrawal, ringing in my ears...I even had an anxiety attack earlier this week (my first!). I'm literally falling apart. The doctor suggested a list of things I could do to manage the stress, such as lots of exercise, yoga, different therapies, massage, and even sex (yes, my doctor suggested I have lots of sex).

I've never had an issue with stress, but in the past year my work-situation has sucked, I've had a few crappy personal issues, and some family circumstances went south. Since I can't change any of those things, I can only focus on managing it. I already exercise and I can crank that up a bit, and I've done yoga before but my teacher flaked out on me back in March. Sex ain't happenin anytime soon. There is a massage spa franchise near me that is offering $49 one hour sessions, I've thought about scheduling one.

I think everyone agrees that some stress is good...it encourages us to get up off our ass and do something...but obviously there is a tipping point where it becomes counterproductive and unhealthy. Mine is not the worst situation in the world, but evidently I'm not coping with it very well. Considering whatever your stress is from, what are the symptoms of stress that you see in your life? What do you do to cope with it? Eat? Drink? Sex? Drugs? Rock-n-Roll? Have you been able to reverse it?

2. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm very susceptible to stress unfortunately. I get wound up, then start feeling exhausted, snappy and tense. Plus the insomnia, loss of appetite, headaches etc.

Managed it a lot better last year or two, but it's taken a while to get decent management strategies in place. Basically, planning my life out sensibly, so I've got a good balance of rest/relaxation and activity each day/week - and having a reliable schedule that I know I can deal with, and don't have to think about too much.

Planning relaxation n stuff like that's important - also, having definite chill out time, where u can get some space, and also maybe some prob-solving time so u dont spend all day worrying. And also dealing with things b4 they become urgent, so I don't have many panic scenarios goin on (I tend to react out of proportion to the threat, if something happens out of the blue, lol). Having said that - I'm usually pretty calm in extreme crises - initially anyway.

Worked through a book called 'Manage Your Mind', which is recommended by British Psychologists, and has a very helpful section on stress/anxiety. Pretty much sensible and common-sense ways of dealing with anxiety reactions to things.

Been a bit harder to deal with this summer - since a few crazy and unavoidable circumstances have arisen, that I've had no choice but deal with. But on the whole, letting other ppl take responsibility for themselves helps too.

All the best anyway dude - it certainly hasn't shown that you've been stressed out, so you must be doing a good job in controlling it outwardly. :)

#2 Joll, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2010
  3. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I've had those five symptoms at various times.
    I think some good hard aerobic exercise is one of the best things.
    I do a fair amount of yoga, and you can't very well be stressed after a yoga session. Maybe you should try some classes. (You might try kundalini yoga, if there's a class near you. It brings quick results.)
    I find that mindfulness meditation is one of the most positive things you can do.
    It takes you right out of your sense of yourself as that poor, suffering contracted being ... or rather, that image simply becomes one of the things you witness, without buying into the narrative or identifying with the protagonist. (Unlike most meditation, it requires not that you focus, but that you open your attention each time you find yourself starting to concentrate on just one thing ... which will most often be one of the crucifying factors in your current storyline. Eventually, they all start to seem melodramatic and unnecessary, things that are much smaller than you.)

4. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'm so sorry you are going through this.
    I went thorough many sleepless nights, and a great deal of anxiety until my blood pressure got so high my doctor said "Do you want to die from a storke? You need to quit your job and find something better to do that does not cause so much stress... maybe you should move to Hawaii" I followed the doctors orders to a letter. I was working in a very toxic environment with a carsonegenic superior. I love what I'm doing now and wished I had made the life changes sooner.
    Never looked back and life has never been better for me. Make the changes you need to be happy.

5. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^ Interesting post, Hhuck, sounds like a good idea. :)

On a slightly different note, I find swearing helps. A lot.

Also, keeping perfectionism in check and generally not giving quite as much of a shit about things. :)

6. ronin001

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hey X
    What can i say about the level of stress that is my daily life. I am lucky that i dont need much sleep, have learned to live without many things and i have a job that is probably killing me.

I feel silly typing this but some days this site helps me get out of the door in the morning and often wind down at night.

XYZ you have NC blood in your veins i think, remember the words of Hank Williams Jr. " Country Boy can survive. in case you dont know the song look it up on youtube

LOL Dude

7. exwhyzee

Gold Member

I might try that book...or in my case "Mission Impossible" :biggrin1:

I get that. Perspective is important, and even though my situation is bad for me, others have it a lot worse...

That's so tempting. A few years ago I seriously thought about moving to Canada, or Australia, or Spain...but situations here at home kinda require me to stick around for a while, I think (part of the stress).

1/4 North Carolina, 1/4 Massachusetts, and a whopping 1/2 from Pittsburgh! I make a crappy country boy, lol.

Cool info, ya'll. :biggrin1:

8. ronin001

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well I have always found you 100% cool. If all else fails have a Jack and coke, eat a BBQ sandwich and have a long wank. This is the best non medical cure for stress.

9. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Same w/my home situation. I'm gradually extricating myself tho. I'll help and do what I can in the meantime, but when I'm in a position to leave, I will. At the end of the day, I can help as much as I can, but other ppl's (unfixable) problems are, ultimately, their own.

You could plan a gradual escape too, man? It might help you feel like you're not so trapped. :wink:

10. curioustitan

curioustitan Member

Wow! I after reading XYZ's original post and following the comments thereafter, i feel terrible for most of you.
    Couldn't fucking agree any fucking more with you joll!! :)
    'Jettisoning' all the poison that stress provides with well timed 'cuss' barrages is fucking awesom... and yes Hhuck i agree with your ideas and slightly more physically compassionate suggestions.
    I've also recently read a book that didn't necessarily focus on stress, but included it as a chapter on how to rid yourself of it. The author comes off as incredibly crass and 'in your face' but made (to my annoyance) a lot of sense.
    It's titled "Shut up-stop whining-and get a life. A kick butt approach to a better life" by Larry Winget who is originally a New Yorker from what i can tell.
    I got it in an e-book form and if you'd like i can mail it to you.
    For the most part, as i said, he comes as a discompassionate wanker, but makes a lot of sense in his rantings.
    Other than that, i hope things go better for you and that you find the time to relax when putting out posts here to people who can offer counsel or advice or even just a shoulder.
    P.S you mentioned that "sex wasn't happening any time soon"... why is that if i might pry.... maybe it's just what you need for 'alleviation' or a even a partner to help ease your burdens.

"i love sam_solo26"

11. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hehe, thanks dude. As times goes on I guess you learn how to handle stuff better and just enjoy life more. :D

And where IS Sam_Solo? Haven't seen the dude for ages.

12. exwhyzee

Gold Member

check
    will do today for lunch
    check

Two outa three isn't bad!

Mine is a kind-of "all or nothing" situation. I'm the only local support for my divorced parents, I hate to bail on them...

I hate to become a wanker...but I do see merit in letting my dick sit in the pilot seat for a while. I rarely let him drive (me) before. :biggrin1:

See above statement. :rolleyes:

Does anyone here get regular massages? I've never had a professional one but I know people who have and they swear by them.

And I gotta say this...I'm shocked more here haven't honed in the doctor's sex recommendation! Geez folks, I set it up for you and everything! Snarky comments welcome...you all know I'm a smart-ass. :tongue:

13. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Well I was going to say that though I rarely ever suffer with stress the best treatment I've found for it is fucking like a demon till exhaustion. But I thought it probably went without saying LOL

#13 D_Tim McGnaw, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  14. exwhyzee

Gold Member

See? Now there's some advice to live by! And you ARE the epitome of a stress free person. :cool: No salt baths or scented candles for you! :biggrin1:

15. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I get a massage once a month. I can't recommend it highly enough. But be sure you drink a lot of water afterwards to help flush the toxins out of your system.

16. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Well the other trick is to laugh at everything, anything and all the time by always trying to see the funny or absurd side of even the most difficult situations, not only does it make you less seriously invested in the things which cause you stress but laughter releases all kinds of happy hormones, not unlike fucking does.

And yes, I hate scented candles and abhor baths, all that stewing in your own filth is so off putting. :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

17. warmandsoapy

warmandsoapy Member

MASTURBATION = STRESS RELIEF!!!! By yourself...no distractions...take it nice and slow and work that stress up from the bottom of your scrotum all the way up thru your tubes and feel that tension just B-L-O-W away as you splatter yourself with your semen!

Ain't nuthin' like it!:tongue:

18. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ahh ok. Sounds maybe then, as if you need to set some boundaries for them/you as to the amount you are able to help. It's great to help, and often essential, but once it starts damaging you, you need to seek extra help/support, or limit your involvement to a manageable level.

^ Sounds cruel, or almost impossible to do, but it can mean you're able to actually help more in the long-term.

19. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

What you need is to watch a girl fall down the steps as a drag queen dressed up as a mermaid lip syncs in the background. Accompanied with a Stella Artois, but drink the whole thing, damnit.

20. curioustitan

curioustitan Member

Discoboy ;) :) :eek: ... very cute.
    Hilaire continues to impress me and leave lasting impressions with his astute observations and pragmatic advice..... "fucking like a demon" does seem to have merit, so long as you fuck like a 'responsible' demon!
    As for massages, just make sure that they offer 'release' massages as an option or am i being naive..... and do all of them offer that anyway? I swear to God i'm from a more wholesome era...LOL!!!
    Or try talking to a complete stranger whilst using public transport... they may think you're creepy and edge away from you or they may take the time to listen and give you unsolicited advice.... weirdly, i've often found that this is usually very sensible advice as they have objectivity from a lack of emotional attachment. Bearing in mind that the stranger you're talking to isn't a 'Ted Bundy-esque' type dude or dudette..
    But yes, always try to look for the 'punchline' to the joke that life really is!

"i love sam_solo26"

Draft saved Draft deleted