Stress!

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If we're suggesting drugs then I'ma have to toss pot into the mix.
Indifference is bliss.:wink:

If we're suggesting drugs then I'ma have to toss pot into the mix.
Indifference is bliss.:wink:
You ARE a tosspot. :wink:

Indifference is a lot less tiring (partially what Prozac does for some ppl), altho pot doesn't have that effect on everyone...

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Write everything out and then burn it.
Write everything out and then post it up somewhere.
If it wasn't for getting the intangible out of me into a physical form (via writing), I'd be dead.

I highly endorse this. Sometimes you can even craft it into an odd fiction or two! I also use painting for this. Color heals.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Can't Xanax easily become addictive, though?

Xanax. I would not be alive or here today without Xanax.

I've lived with this crap since I was about 8 years old or so. For some people its a way of life. For some, they find it later in life.

Try talking to your doctor and get a prescription for Xanax. It shuts all that shit down.
(I cant believe your wigged out in NC. Don't come up here, you'd be suicidal)

D_Nad_Pullerton

Just Browsing
Media
The other comments here have dealt with the physical issues causing stress: poor nutrition, lack of exercise, and sexual activity. These are all things which can make it hard to be mentally on top of your game. That said, there are mental exercises/strategies to deal with situations that can reduce stress.

So I think stress is mostly internally generated. What do I mean? If you think about most behaviors and why you do the tings you do, it's because you don't like the outcome.

Examples
speeding --> speeding tickeds
slacking at work --> losing your job
eating lots of crappy fatty food ---> obesity etc.

I often stress out when I have a bunch of things I want to do and not enough time to do them. So prioritizing is key. What happens if you don't do it? Do you lose you job? Do you get in a car accident? You gotta separate the urgency from the importance.

4 types of tasks/events:
1) urgent and important
2) non-urgent and important
3) urgent unimportant
4) non-urgent and unimportant

If all you get done are 1 type tasks, then that's pretty good. 3's and 4's are the ones that tend to add to the pile, but really have no impoact on productivity and lifestyle, they just add stress. Let them be, focus on 1's and 2's. Everybody gets wrapped up sometimes, which often makes even more stress. Be gentle with yourself-- if you have an unproductive day, let tomorrow be a different, independent day. You don't have to make up for yesterday, that just adds more stress.

Live now, live well.

^ I agree. I've read about that in a book I was working thru concerning mental fitness. I try to do as many important things as possible - before they fall into the urgent category. Altho, sometimes situations occur unavoidably.

I still tend to get a disproportionate stress reaction to a lot of things, despite implementing a number of strategies (pacing, prob-solving, relaxation, thought challenging, etc) - but maybe it a case of plugging away at it, and finding what works for you, and gradually learning how to implement it more efficiently (whilst also learning how to manage situations you find hard)?

Re: Xanax. It sounds interesting, but maybe it's like diazepam or something - where it's quite hard to wean yourself off. I'd probably seek that as a last resort, but it seems to work for some ppl (Rikter, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The other comments here have dealt with the physical issues causing stress: poor nutrition, lack of exercise, and sexual activity. These are all things which can make it hard to be mentally on top of your game. That said, there are mental exercises/strategies to deal with situations that can reduce stress.

So I think stress is mostly internally generated. What do I mean? If you think about most behaviors and why you do the tings you do, it's because you don't like the outcome.

Examples
speeding --> speeding tickeds
slacking at work --> losing your job
eating lots of crappy fatty food ---> obesity etc.

I often stress out when I have a bunch of things I want to do and not enough time to do them. So prioritizing is key. What happens if you don't do it? Do you lose you job? Do you get in a car accident? You gotta separate the urgency from the importance.

4 types of tasks/events:
1) urgent and important
3) urgent unimportant

If all you get done are 1 type tasks, then that's pretty good. 3's and 4's are the ones that tend to add to the pile, but really have no impoact on productivity and lifestyle, they just add stress. Let them be, focus on 1's and 2's. Everybody gets wrapped up sometimes, which often makes even more stress. Be gentle with yourself-- if you have an unproductive day, let tomorrow be a different, independent day. You don't have to make up for yesterday, that just adds more stress.

Live now, live well.

I just had a little orgasm readin your post... :)

RawDog

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
4 types of tasks/events:
1) urgent and important
3) urgent unimportant

I read the same classifications in a Brian Tracy book once and if memory serves me right (and it rarely does), it was his strategy for prioritizing activities. I never thought about using that to deal with stress. Good call.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You ARE a tosspot. :wink:

Indifference is a lot less tiring (partially what Prozac does for some ppl), altho pot doesn't have that effect on everyone...
Just cuz you're a paranoid git doesn't mean everyone else is.:tongue:

Besides, I was being facetious to make a point. Looking to drugs (and anxiety meds are drugs) to help you deal with stress shouldn't ever be your first choice. Or your second. A last resort, if you will.

Ex just needs to get himself some dick. On the regs.

sleepiboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've been going for bad stress for 2 and a half years right now because of family stuff. I stay at home while going to school, and it seems that me sacrificing my needs is more important then me trying to get my education. With that being said I'm just very stressed out...I have to leave the house to even do homework which stresses me out because I can't even relax in my own home. I'm nice, but when I stand up for myself I'm all of a sudden in the wrong.

I just can't wait for it to be all over with right now. I'm just BLAH with everything right now personally...I also have a bum leg that hasn't healed in almost a year and is keeping me from my extreme exercise that makes me feel happy. I'm always sad, down, stressed. I can't sleep, but then when I go to sleep I sleep forever. Just going through a lot while those looking from teh outside in see my happy exterior. If only they knew...

There...felt good to get that out lol

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Oh sleepiboi, I hope you can do aerobics and other calisthenics, and that you can soon find a place for alone time! If you have a car, nap in there perhaps.

A lyric from Lou and Peter Berryman:

And when your down and out
As far as a man can get
Remember the family car
Is America's safety net
And it's a well known fact
No matter who you are
No one can deny your right
To live in your car.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yes, Xanax can be addicting, because it works.

But you have to limit it, and use it only when you are really stressed out. If you keep tabs on it, it will be a life saver during stressful situations.
If you keep taking it over and over, it becomes less effective, and you'll find yourself upping the dosage for it to have the same effectiveness.

I have a script for 0.25mg. I usually will snap one in half, and take only half. Give it about a 1/2 hour and see how you feel. If your still Wigged out and cant deal, then take the other half and that's it. Once it wears off...its done.

It's not a cure all - Its to help you manage your stress/anxiety level to learn how to deal with it better. It's not a replacement for taking action and fixing what's wrong in your life.

I couldn't attend college classes because the social anxiety took complete control. I couldn't deal with the people. Xanax really helped to get me back on track and shut off the toxic panic attacks that plagued me.
Same thing with social events. I don't leave home without it.

Last edited: