Strike against sopa!!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Smaccoms, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. houtx48

Gold Member

Thanks for the post. I hope lots of people use it. This bill looks like a power grab by large media corp.

3. Perados

Gold Member

Albums:
    i think the idea of the law is right... Dont know all details but in generall its good

Every tv channel, newspaper or radio is responsible for what they broadcast and a internetpage can be as powerfull as every single one of them.

Same rights for everyone... You are responsible for what is posted on your page

And a power grap by large companies?

A little example... Lets say i write a book and a week after i published the book the new york post starts to print the book in their latest isue...
    Everyone would understand if i would start an action to get missed income from them...
    But if its about music/videos on internet its a "power grap"

#3 Perados, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  4. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    This isn't censorship in the "block it because it's offensive" way; it's corporate censorship. If someone were to simply post a picture of something copyrighted, like, say, Mickey Mouse, Disney could demand that the whole site be shut down for "piracy". It's a disgusting law written by corporation and debated by people who don't know how the internet works.

The problem with your example, though, is that if the NY Post started printing your book, it'd pretty obviously have been a decision by the corporate power structure itself, not just some rogue poster. I can understand wanting to protect intellectual property rights, and I can understand why TV companies and record labels would want to take unauthorized things down (though I think their reasoning is wrong). However, if a clip of The Daily Show is posted on YouTube, YouTube weren't the ones to decide to post it; a user did.

5. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    The purpose of SOPA after reading in-between the lines is to control the people by controlling what we have access to. Cutting the people off from the internet segregates too much power. It is inappropriate and utterly ridiculous.

It's a power grab in the sense without internet access, our only source of real news is mainstream media. It is clear that this area is controlled by the top 1% just as much as the government itself is.

6. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
  7. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

They even took down the FBI...it's still down at 7:15 pm PST.

8. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    OWS and Anonymous...the people begin to take back their country!

9. aninnymouse

Gold Member

NO. I'm all for enforcement against copyright infringement, if done in a reasonable way.

However, this SOPA is not reasonable. It enables ANYONE who complains the right to have a site permanently shut down, with no actual proof that there's any wrong doing.

So, if someone complained about LPSG, just 'cause they didn't like the content, then LPSG would cease to exist. Simple as that.

10. travis1985

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    So if I don't like, say, CNN.com, all I have to do is complain about it and it vanishes? Bull.

11. lucky8

Gold Member

No, only if you're a mega corporation. This bill isn't for the peasants

12. hud01

Gold Member

Actually in theory yes. If you own content they posted.

13. hud01

Gold Member

Lets say that someone posts a video to youtube that has music by the Black Eyed Peas...Their music company can lodge a complaint that would shut the entire site down.

14. zarxo

zarxo New Member

Very nicely said but watch your back sexy. :) It's an unfriendly world right now: however, Harvard spokesperson said that on CNN that both bills would be cranked down. SLC

15. zarxo

zarxo New Member

Very nicely said but watch your back sexy. :) It's an unfriendly world right now: however, Harvard spokesperson said that on CNN that both bills would be cranked down.

16. travis1985

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Note posts #11-12. We oppose it, and we can't even agree on what it says?

17. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    What they meant to say is that the mega-corporations will take the forefront while the people will most likely be ignored (Note the phrase "in theory").

18. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    What they mean to say is if you can afford a good lawyer you can close any website you like unless they have an even better lawyer. Now who wins that fight? The whole idea of the bill is to attack websites and shut them down indefinitely, as well as deprive their owners of any income, until the owner can satisfy the complainant. It would be impossible to operate utube in this situation. No more utube. Wikipedia could be killed too. They check postings to look for copyright violations but people post them all the time. if you are encarta or encyclopedia britannica, all youd have to do is look for some violation and have them closed. Then when they said it had been fixed, you could find another easily. If you dont like that they post an honest biography of you, you could get them closed for something else. If you were devious you could post violations yourself and then have websites shut down. That might even be legitimate? Their offence is having copyright material there, all you did was post it, which wouldnt be breaking the law unless the owner objected.

19. D_JohnUpHerPipe

D_JohnUpHerPipe New Member

I don't think we should oppose SOPA. But, I do think that it should be severely moderated, after all. What is wrong with trying to stop piracy?

20. TinyPrincess

Gold Member

Albums:
    In theory nothing, in real life everything... ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted