Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sorry haven't read the whole thread so I'm just going to post about who I think are strong / independent female characters.

Michonne from the walking dead.

Donna from suits is amazing. There's a few independent, ball breaker women in that show.

Daenerys Stromborn from GOT (my fave character) and Arya Stark.

Hannah and Jessa from girls... though I don't think they are particularly good role model.

Deb from dexter. Can't stand her though.

Norma Bates from Bates Motel. She's also a nut job.

I guess I'm realising that a lot of strong female characters in modern tv shows are also unlikeable... whereas the strong men characters are generally developed to be liked. Imo. Women are often portrayed as unstable / emotionally unstable (aside from my first few examples).
I don't feel like strong women characters are unlikeable, I don't know all the ones you cited but the only I don't really like is Daenerys because she tends to act quite childishly when her counselors are not here to advise her.
Most just have a great personality and their very own sense of humor that make them unique and give them an important part in their respective shows.

I'd also like to mention Malory Archer from Archer, played by Jessica Walter also present in Arrested Development as Lucille Bluth!

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I don't feel like strong women characters are unlikeable, I don't know all the ones you cited but the only I don't really like is Daenerys because she tends to act quite childishly when her counselors are not here to advise her.
Most just have a great personality and their very own sense of humor that make them unique and give them an important part in their respective shows.

I'd also like to mention Malory Archer from Archer, played by Jessica Walter also present in Arrested Development as Lucille Bluth!
Yeah I was just referring to the last few I mentioned, who are the key female characters of the shows.

Haha Lucille Bluth is a good one. Haven't seen too much of archer.

Reactions: inspectordickins

inspectordickins

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah I was just referring to the last few I mentioned, who are the key female characters of the shows.

Haha Lucille Bluth is a good one. Haven't seen too much of archer.
Oh well I haven't seen those shows so I'd better not sound like an idiot :)

If you liked Lucille Bluth you're gonna love Malory Archer, it's almost the same character but even more extreme, very spicy and witty!

Reactions: rtg

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Oh well I haven't seen those shows so I'd better not sound like an idiot :)

If you liked Lucille Bluth you're gonna love Malory Archer, it's almost the same character but even more extreme, very spicy and witty!
I don't think you sounded like an idiot lol, was just clarifying.

BetterFuture

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just wanted to add that I think Aliens is one of the best action movies ever. I left the theater exhausted from the suspense. I always thought of Ripley as a very strong character... just realized I never specifically though of her as a female character. Vasquez was awesome in Aliens... although looking at that clip @MickeyLee posted ('anyone ever mistake you for man?', comment #2) I find it interesting that she doesn't look as muscular to me as I recalled (I haven't seen the movie in a few years now, but saw it dozens of times before that). I think that's a moving target as some of the women I see at the gym lately look much stronger.

XL_Lingam

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Kim on Better Call Saul is a strong female character. She ambitious, intelligent, capable and funny

Classic Hollywood stars who made careers out of playing strong women (and who were pretty fierce in real life) include Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Rosalind Russell, Lana Turner, Ginger Rogers. In contemporary film, IMO Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, Sigourney Weaver, Debra Winger, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Holly Hunter, Frances McDormand, Cher, and Sally Field usually play or played strong, well-rounded female characters.

Reactions: inspectordickins

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just wanted to add that I think Aliens is one of the best action movies ever. I left the theater exhausted from the suspense. I always thought of Ripley as a very strong character... just realized I never specifically though of her as a female character. Vasquez was awesome in Aliens... although looking at that clip @MickeyLee posted ('anyone ever mistake you for man?', comment #2) I find it interesting that she doesn't look as muscular to me as I recalled (I haven't seen the movie in a few years now, but saw it dozens of times before that). I think that's a moving target as some of the women I see at the gym lately look much stronger.

Aliens was fantastic. Think about how much depth they were able to bring to so many characters in that ensemble in a little over 2 hour running time and in an action movie. Grab any conversation from the film and the depth of everyone's personality is on full display.

I think it'd be hard to get through Aliens in particular and not recognize her femininity though. The climax of the film is essentially structured as two mothers fighting to protect their young (Ripley -vs- the Alien Queen), but it's highlighted at a lot of other junctures as well.

Although the role of "the practical one" isn't uniquely feminine, it does put her into a lot of debates / conflicts with men in both films and it feels less common to have women in that role.

Mule

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
The characters with moments of weakness or realistic character flaws appear stronger to me, because they overcome their own deficiencies as well as what the world throws at them. Ripley is the ultimate badass, for sure, but a strong woman character doesn't have to be without flaws or vulnerabilities in order to be an iconic, powerful woman. Some people complain that strong female leads are devalued if they are helped by a man, but I think it's more nuanced than that. If they are helped by man because he's a man and obviously a woman can't succeed without a man, that's definitely a problem, but working with and succeeding with others – regardless of gender – is admirable and shows strength.

judy-hopps.jpg

Judy Hopps from Zootopia. I'm not kidding. Grit, smarts, compassion, bravery, sense of justice. One righteous (rabbit) woman.

Reactions: AlteredEgo and rtg

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The characters with moments of weakness or realistic character flaws appear stronger to me, because they overcome their own deficiencies as well as what the world throws at them. Ripley is the ultimate badass, for sure, but a strong woman character doesn't have to be without flaws or vulnerabilities in order to be an iconic, powerful woman. Some people complain that strong female leads are devalued if they are helped by a man, but I think it's more nuanced than that. If they are helped by man because he's a man and obviously a woman can't succeed without a man, that's definitely a problem, but working with and succeeding with others – regardless of gender – is admirable and shows strength.

judy-hopps.jpg

Judy Hopps from Zootopia. I'm not kidding. Grit, smarts, compassion, bravery, sense of justice. One righteous (rabbit) woman.

She's racist though.

:p

Reactions: AlteredEgo

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

judy-hopps.jpg

And I'm teasing. Racist views aside, I'd agree she's a strong female character written with depth and works well as a role model.

Mule

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
And I'm teasing. Racist views aside, I'd agree she's a strong female character written with depth and works well as a role model.

:) Yes, Judy starts out as very prejudiced. That's why she is a great example of my point "they overcome their own deficiencies."

Reactions: AlteredEgo

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

The TV show is an adaption of the books, and in the books Daenerys is only 14.

insert_8

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm re-watching Alien right now. It's almost a full 40 years old now (came out in 1979), and every time I watch this movie (let alone Aliens), it strikes me how Ellen Ripley is probably the strongest female character that I've ever seen put to film . . .
I'm not quite up to presenting a full analysis at the moment, but I think Baby Houseman in "Dirty Dancing" is a pretty strong character.

Charlize Theron portrays a pretty strong woman in "North Country".

The Carter women - both June and Maybelle - in "Walk the Line" have significant strength to them.

Anytime you see an effective portrayal of Lady MacBeth - in Orson Welles' version, or Kirosawa's "Throne of Blood", for example - it's got to be a strong woman.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not quite up to presenting a full analysis at the moment, but I think Baby Houseman in "Dirty Dancing" is a pretty strong character.

Charlize Theron portrays a pretty strong woman in "North Country".

The Carter women - both June and Maybelle - in "Walk the Line" have significant strength to them.

Anytime you see an effective portrayal of Lady MacBeth - in Orson Welles' version, or Kirosawa's "Throne of Blood", for example - it's got to be a strong woman.

I'll have to check some of those out, I haven't even seen Dirty Dancing believe it or not :p

Wave85

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So this is an historic figure but an awesome portrayal in a movie by Cate Blanchett - "Elizabeth" - definitely a benefit that she really existed and was a total badass as a leader - Queen Elizabeth I - mom was beheaded - locked ion the Tower of London by her sister for months - against odds she took the throne and ruled for 44 years in the 1500s - with some help from nature and one of the most famous inspirational speeches of all time, she stood up to and defeated the most powerful navy on Earth, kept her country independent, peaceful and thriving. No need to look at cartoons when there are some great movies about unbelievable women in history.

images.jpeg