Strong female characters in film

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So this is an historic figure but an awesome portrayal in a movie by Cate Blanchett - "Elizabeth" - definitely a benefit that she really existed and was a total badass as a leader - Queen Elizabeth I - mom was beheaded - locked ion the Tower of London by her sister for months - against odds she took the throne and ruled for 44 years in the 1500s - with some help from nature and one of the most famous inspirational speeches of all time, she stood up to and defeated the most powerful navy on Earth, kept her country independent, peaceful and thriving. No need to look at cartoons when there are some great movies about unbelievable women in history.

View attachment 702303

I'd be inclined to exempt portrayals of real life women. Real life is full of strong women (and I'd agree that Elizabeth is one), but I wouldn't call them characters in the same sense that we're talking about here (more about works of fiction).

pcghabsy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I think there's a form of subversive sexism where characters derived from the stereotypical male heroes are forced onto women as "strong characters". As for a genuinely well done character, Juliette Binoche in Certified Copy.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think there's a form of subversive sexism where characters derived from the stereotypical male heroes are forced onto women as "strong characters". As for a genuinely well done character, Juliette Binoche in Certified Copy.

I haven't seen that one either. Worth checking out?

pcghabsy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I haven't seen that one either. Worth checking out?
It's not everyone's cup of tea, for sure, but the portrayal of the character is really sophisticated, nuanced and genuine. Makes most characters seem like cardboards, though that can be more instant gratifying...

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think there's a form of subversive sexism where characters derived from the stereotypical male heroes are forced onto women as "strong characters".

Do you feel like Ellen Ripley is stereotypically male in presentation?

I'm going to leave Aliens 3 and onwards out (cuz I didn't really care for them), but I can't feel this way about her presentation in either Alien or Aliens.

Alien: Her strengths and weaknesses aren't attributes typically associated to a gender. Moreso than any of the other characters on the team, she's the pragmatic one. Even faced with an unknown (the alien), she approaches the situation from start to finish from a position of sensibility. Face-hugger attached to a crew member? Don't let that fucker on the ship. Ship's computer acting squirrelly? Execute an authority override and find out what messages it's actually receiving. The crew is presented with problems, and she's the one who tries to think through them sensibly and logically and her strength is drawn from that in combination with a willingness to fight for the best outcomes rather than always submit to superior officers who have bad ideas.

Aliens: Her character in this film seems based on female archetypes, not male ones. Though she retains the same pragmatic aspects from the first film, she slips into maternal and caregiver roles in this film as well, not just with Newt (where it's more overt), but also with some of the marines. Her sense of empathy is presented as a strength. She's not a physical powerhouse like Vasquez. She does pilot that loader, but that's a skill rather than raw physical prowess.

Reactions: BetterFuture

pcghabsy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I watched Alien and Aliens about 15 years back. I really don't remember... Your OP did make me want to rewatch it though :)

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I watched Alien and Aliens about 15 years back. I really don't remember... Your OP did make me want to rewatch it though :)

Hah, Alien's still hard for me to watch cuz it gives me the creeps (trauma from my uncles letting me watch it at too young of an age :p), but they're both fantastic films.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I probably should've prefaced it more clearly, but I was mainly thinking of the genres of action and sci fi / fantasy.

As you move into dramas and such, strong & well developed characters become more common.

If you were to make a list of the best action or sci-fi films, the percentage of films which have a female character in a lead role to begin with is relatively small, and of those that are, they are infrequently well written / developed.

This doesn't seem to be as big of an issue in novels, nor is it with video games (I can easily list off a lot of strong, well developed characters in the action & RPG genres). But on the silver screen specifically, it feels like there's still a big void in this regard.

Penis Aficionado

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Well, action/sci-fi/fantasy/comic-book movies are intended to make a billion dollars -- and not just in America but all over the world, including huge markets where gender roles may be more traditional. It is generally not in the interests of the huge corporations that make these movies to challenge the prevailing assumptions and narratives about gender.

That being said, did anyone mention Sarah Connor?

BetterFuture

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That being said, did anyone mention Sarah Connor?
I forgot about her. Her transformation from Terminator to Terminator 2 was amazing... once she learned the possible future, the need to save us all made her extremely strong in the second.

Do you feel like Ellen Ripley is stereotypically male in presentation?

I'm going to leave Aliens 3 and onwards out (cuz I didn't really care for them), but I can't feel this way about her presentation in either Alien or Aliens.
Yes, Alien 3 and onwards should be out. :p In both Alien and Aliens she was a very strong character. Her intelligence and determination led her to be a survivor and a protector.

sodominsane

Legendary Member
Media
Your dick has nothing to do with your attitude. It's your mind set. Every time you disagree with a woman you are applying your own bias. Growing up female is totally different than growing up male. You never consider our viewpoint on the world could be different from yours.

You have male privilege you can't even see because you don't want to believe it. You want to believe women were raised equally and we just have this fucked up view on life.

time to stick my fat head into the argument...I heard someone say ...that people who have privilege never see it....others do...

and I think that's true....at least for me it is....when I was young I was a high level athelete....played college football for a top 20 team in a small Midwest college town....

needless to say player were treated like gold....but you grow up a highly touted athelete you just think that's how life is.......

of coarse the professor understands you need an extra day to finish a paper....that cop was just being a decent guy and cut me break on a speeding ticket (go cats)....why wouldn't coeds think I'm a neat and interesting guy(even though we never meet before and I haven't spoken yet)

after college and i moved to Kansas city....nobody cared ...wow everyone a dick....life is unfair..(actually it got a little fairer)

it took a while to realize the world didn't change ....just that my privilege was gone..(I don't think we used that term back then but that's the idea)

so now as a white male....if women ,minorities and the aged keep saying I privilaged.....I don't really feel it....but what's the chance that I'm the only one right.....and everyone else is wrong

Reactions: deleted924715

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think Lillian Gish in "Night of the Hunter" was pretty kick-ass strong.

One of my all-time favorite lines in movies: "I'm givin' you to the count of three to get out
that screen door; then I'm a-comin' across this kitchen shootin'!"

My knee-jerk reaction to reading "strong female characters in film" is Angelina Jolie as Jane Smith in Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Total ice-queen badassness.

Reactions: ronin001

insert_8

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I think Lillian Gish in "Night of the Hunter" was pretty kick-ass strong.
Yeah, a couple years ago I saw that film in a movie serious sponsored by a local college. Her character showed a kind of beneath-the-surface strength that wasn't flaunted, and you wouldn't even recognize until you ran up against it. At the same time the character demonstrated very feminine attributes of compassion and nurturing.

Reactions: twoton