Not open for further replies.

Chuck64

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Can someone please explain why I always return to this place in the middle of a shitstorm?

Alex... I'm sorry to see you go. Maybe we'll run in to each other again someday.

Mods... You seem to be lacking credibility with the users. You were appointed shortly after DMW died. Because of the timing, no matter what you did, you were going to fail miserably. Since that blew over, I don't know what efforts you've made. I haven't been around much because of school (and a recent video game addiction.) Either you haven't tried or it hasn't worked. More of the same isn't likely to succeed.

Listen to the feedback you get from the users. Try some things. You might fail a few times, but eventually you'll stumble on to something that works.

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
alex8 said:
How could transparency be achieved? With ease, imho. One solution that some other sites have instituted is a ‘sin bin’ – a closed sticky thread on which moderators post short details of currently banned members using a set bank of phrases, such as “EatMyFeet has been permanently banned for racist remarks”; “alex7 has been temporarily banned for fourteen days for anti-social behavior”; “LickMyClit has been permanently banned for holding multiple accounts as LickMyClit, LickMyPussy and LickMyToes”; “17x11inches has been temporarily banned for seven days for posting Photoshopped images”; etc. This at least lets everyone know what is going on, without members having to be ordered to “pay no attention to the man behind the curtain”. For sure, it may scare off the odd member who is too self-conscious to return after a ban; but how does that differ from the current state of affairs with regard to bans at LPSG anyway?
That's a good idea Alex8, hope you return when they adopt it.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This thread has the air of a wake.:rolleyes:

A number of members have been (temporarily) banned for 'questionable' or not adequately explained reasons. About the moderators: There is a suggestion by a few that some are not receptive to criticism, some are unecessarily secretive about the process of board management, or that some are less than impartial when it comes to applying the TOS.

The world is still turning, Governments around the world are still abusing human rights, bigots are bigotting and innocent people are dying of preventable disease or in unjust wars the world over.

This is a bulletin board about dicks, not the UN. I like it here too but I think a little perspective is needed.:rolleyes:

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
Let me add to the chorus about moderator accountability. I've been away for two days and have been shocked to find the exodus (voluntarily or involuntarily) of several high profile individuals. It's disconcerting and merits a brief explanation

On Stronzo: The voice of a vocal minority should not be suppressed. Yes, Stronzo could high jack a thread and often required presonal attention, but he did moderate his own behavior over time. More importantly, his disappearance does raise concerns about the board being over-run by popularity. A true democratic message board can tolerate a diversity of opinions that do not violate the law.

Madame Zora: This is the 2nd (or more) time that she's left. It's an extreme loss because she is one of the few individuals who really could maintain an objective perspective. Clearly she had her own opinions but that never compromised her objectivity. She also was one of the more transparent moderators.

Alex8: You just can't replace such a quality individual.

... I trust that the moderators will only use the "delete" option very sparingly because these posts are historical records. They should be left alone, mostly, for all to examine the evidence.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
WTF? I asked basically the same question yesterday http://www.lpsg.org/the-help-desk/31697-whatd-i-miss.html and my thread was shut down within FOUR posts, and I was told that we're not even supposed to be discussing this, as per the "announcement", which I didn't see any mention of within it, unless it had been edited.

So why 3 pages later is this still open and mine's still closed??? My thread didn't even touch on being as provocative as this one has become! What actually IS going on here?
:mad:

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I sure would want to know why ???:confused: I would hope for an explanation too.

But at the same time i think is a great exageration calling an exodus and its not the end of the world at least for me who enjoy the 'shallow' secctions of the board and think the most interesting and fun people are still here...my many favorities are in the house.

I came here to have fun, to play and talk about sex and big cocks and etc... I enjoy the 'shallow' issues at LPSG .

And I thought i was a very emotional and reactive person...but it surprises me some of the people that are overreacting ...:rolleyes:

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Novice--We were attempting to avoid any public celebration, akin to what faceking started here. The closing of your thread was not personal.

I am pleased to see that many have chimed in here with their perspective on the matters and will probably continue to do so.

DC DEEP & HungMuscle --thanks for your historical perspective.

Dong20 -- interesting take as well.

I don't know if there will ever be public annoucements/notes about reasons and terms of bannings. These notes are made to the members who get banned and is a function of how the board is designed by VBulletin. If the onwer tells us to do other wise and makes code changes to that effect, The Moderator Team will do so.

Also--Zora has not gone anywhere. She decided she wanted to do other things than moderate this board and that is her choice and we respect it as much as we will miss her feedback and guidance.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Lex said:
Novice--We were attempting to avoid any public celebration, akin to what faceking started here. The closing of your thread was not personal.
But that's exactly my point. I asked a simple question, and I was shut down. This is a full-blown celebration, and it remains open. I'm not taking it personally, I'm just viewing it as very inconsistant and arbitrary "policy".

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well, Novice, all I can say is that perhaps no Mods were here when faceking started this thread.

I can say that I don't read the majority of the posts here as a celebration at all.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Lex said:
Well, Novice, all I can say is that perhaps no Mods were here when faceking started this thread.

I can say that I don't read the majority of the posts here as a celebration at all.
You're right, most of these posts are answering the question that my closed thread asked, and there have been plenty of Mods online since.

I'm dropping it, but it just seems if things were applied fairly, that either this would also be closed, or mine would be opened. However, not really caring for redundancy, I don't really see much point in opening mine, I'm just outlining what I again see as an arbitrary application of "fairness".

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
novice_btm said:
Several major posters have also removed their galleries, and have said, outside the board, that they've left.

IF He's gone... chances are, I won't be here much longer, either, Novice.

I was away for a few days, and returned to find that Chaos had erupted. While I can understand that people have to be reigned in from time to time, and can fully accept it, I have a big problem with the air of mystery that is surrounding everyone.

I am not asking for details, the mods have said time and time again, that they are just ordinary people. Well, banning people,(whether it was a warning or forever) is just not kosher in my eyes, especially without a reason why.

I know I shouldn't bitch, due to the fact that I had a bitter feud with one of the posters who was banned... But, I do think that there are some more kinks that need to be worked out. These things take time, obviously.

I am sure things will be MUCH MORE CLEAR once the Rules have been re-written. Best of luck with those, I can't imagine it is easy.

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Fuck it, I'm speaking my mind with this post.

I'm about as big as a message board geek as anyone, and I feel like this one was one of the better ones in the limited amount of time I've been here. What is common with all boards I frequent, is the mutual respect between moderating teams and the long time posters. What exactly is a message board without devoted members? A bunch of people who have no idea who each other are, all reposting the same things because they don't know the history of the board. Friendships won't develop, and most importantly people won't come back. The board dies soon after. I've seen it happen in multiple places before, and its myopic to think it cannot happen here.

I haven't really kept constant back and forth conversation with any moderator, save Matthew and recently Madame Zora. However, I've made myself perfectly clear about my feelings over recent events. I think you banned one of the most interesting and fun persona's on this board in Spladle, and also a gentleman who I've grown to respect due to his strong convictions, and ability to make insightful observations with Stronzo.

I really don't give a shit if someone complains over a "mis-quoted post" and turns it into a whole scene over nothing. That person needs to take a joke, that person needs to have thicker skin, grow up. People say mean things, it's part of life, and you can take issue with that. But when a person gets reported to the moderators for a bullshit offense, I think the mods need to keep that in mind when handling the situation. You banned one of the best, well known posters here over bullshit. Plain and simple.

Lex and Mindseye, you both said at one point that you will do whats best for the board over what's best for one person. You contradicted yourselves with the banning of Spladle and Stronzo.

I think also that the lack of response to member's concerns over these recent events is more than telling of how much a board which proclaims free speech is being hypocritical. I find what has happened here is that in a time of crisis, a few took power for the rest, got confortable with it, and are now using it more than ever to control the events happening. Sound familiar? The precedents here are clear as day, and we all know how things end up when people use their power without any explanation to the people.

The silence of the moderating team on this issue is deafening. Moderator or not, you guys were regular members here too. Put yourself in our shoes, think how you would feel. This aint a communist state, it's a democratic operation...or at least it was at one point.

That is all.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
LINittanyLion said:
Fuck it, I'm speaking my mind with this post.

I'm about as big as a message board geek as anyone, and I feel like this one was one of the better ones in the limited amount of time I've been here. What is common with all boards I frequent, is the mutual respect between moderating teams and the long time posters. What exactly is a message board without devoted members? A bunch of people who have no idea who each other are, all reposting the same things because they don't know the history of the board. Friendships won't develop, and most importantly people won't come back. The board dies soon after. I've seen it happen in multiple places before, and its myopic to think it cannot happen here.

I haven't really kept constant back and forth conversation with any moderator, save Matthew and recently Madame Zora. However, I've made myself perfectly clear about my feelings over recent events. I think you banned one of the most interesting and fun persona's on this board in Spladle, and also a gentleman who I've grown to respect due to his strong convictions, and ability to make insightful observations with Stronzo.

I really don't give a shit if someone complains over a "mis-quoted post" and turns it into a whole scene over nothing. That person needs to take a joke, that person needs to have thicker skin, grow up. People say mean things, it's part of life, and you can take issue with that. But when a person gets reported to the moderators for a bullshit offense, I think the mods need to keep that in mind when handling the situation. You banned one of the best, well known posters here over bullshit. Plain and simple.

Lex and Mindseye, you both said at one point that you will do whats best for the board over what's best for one person. You contradicted yourselves with the banning of Spladle and Stronzo.

I think also that the lack of response to member's concerns over these recent events is more than telling of how much a board which proclaims free speech is being hypocritical. I find what has happened here is that in a time of crisis, a few took power for the rest, got confortable with it, and are now using it more than ever to control the events happening. Sound familiar? The precedents here are clear as day, and we all know how things end up when people use their power without any explanation to the people.

The silence of the moderating team on this issue is deafening. Moderator or not, you guys were regular members here too. Put yourself in our shoes, think how you would feel. This aint a communist state, it's a democratic operation...or at least it was at one point.

That is all.

Well I have to agree with you all the way. Well said - I suspect others like myself had similar feelings and were holding back on expressing them however I am only speaking for myself. If others feel the same way then it is up to them to say so.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I realize that since I am one of the Moderators that does a lot of the "telling" when things happen that I am the heavy in many eyes and I am 100% okay with that.

Stronzo's friends are angry. Spladle's friends are angry. Pichulon's friends are angry.

I had a friend who was banned and while it did not make me happy, it was done, and regardless of what it looks like--it was merited.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lion and Dave, your two specific examples of Stronzo and Spladle, well, let me explain something for you.

I understand that you liked them both, and don't understand why they were banned. But keep in mind... check Spladle's last 100 posts, and find for me 15 examples out of those 100 that were legitimate posts - not trollings or drive-by shittings, however cute or facetious. I do understand that he was trying to be humorous, but purposefully fucking up someone's serious poll, it's just not acceptable. Dropping in a non sequitur here and there is ok. But if that's the bulk of your posting, you are being a troll - regardless of how cute you are.

I admire Stronzo's intelligence and conviction, but he tended to be a pit bull, exceptionally biased, and he could not tolerate dissenting opinion. He was that way from his first posts. He came on board and immediately started dictating to the existing members how he wanted the forum to work. And LPSG just does not work like that.

I agree with dong20 that some transparency would ease the minds of most members, but apparently that's not how the current owner, and by extension, the moderators, are handling it. Your choice is either to adapt, hang in there, and continue to enjoy it, or throw a tantrum and leave. I'm personally going to view this the same way I do the "gay rights in the US" issue. I'm not running off to another country where it's easier, I'm hanging in right here and MAKING A DIFFERENCE. But that's just me, that's just how I am. I'm not going to try to change someone's mind by calling them names, I'm going to try to change someone's mind by being logical, consistent, and informed. I think I will stay a bit longer.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I hope the new rules being made include degrees of 'banned', bcause there are differences between how we feel about the banned people...the ones who come for couple of days to make mess and the ones we get to know and like and they are gone.

Well..hope they include 3 strikes warnings and few days cooling off and that is it..not a forever ban need to exist...

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
alex8 said:
How could transparency be achieved? With ease, imho. One solution that some other sites have instituted is a ‘sin bin’ – a closed sticky thread on which moderators post short details of currently banned members using a set bank of phrases, such as “EatMyFeet has been permanently banned for racist remarks”; “alex7 has been temporarily banned for fourteen days for anti-social behavior”; “LickMyClit has been permanently banned for holding multiple accounts as LickMyClit, LickMyPussy and LickMyToes”; “17x11inches has been temporarily banned for seven days for posting Photoshopped images”; etc. This at least lets everyone know what is going on, without members having to be ordered to “pay no attention to the man behind the curtain”.

I think this is a (typically) excellent idea from Alex, and I think mods should bring it up with Rob.
I can't say all the recent bannings made total sense to me, but neither did I find them utterly beyond the pale.
But more transparency would make things far easier to accept.
I also think that mods have contributed to dissension on the board -- on the argument that, while they are mods, they are also regular board members who are not bound to a vow of unilateral verbal disarmament in the face of on-board bombardment.
I think this excuse is taken too far.
If you are a moderator, you must among other things model moderation -- not as a superhuman on a spiritual mountaintop, but as a person who can't plausibly argue for civility and sense of measure if those traits can't be read in his own movements in the world.
As for Alex's leaving, I feel great sorrow.
No one contributed as much to the board as Alex did.
And no one displayed so much on-board intelligence, vivacity, and sense of benign mischief as he did. He was soooo loveable.
I'm glad he stayed in the porpoise pen as long as he did.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
BronxBombshell said:
Spladle told me he doesn't know why he was banned.
My guess would be things like this: http://www.lpsg.org/527322-post6.html , http://www.lpsg.org/528452-post133.html , http://www.lpsg.org/528407-post129.html , and others of this ilk. While I understand (or hope) he was trying to be funny, it does not always come across that way, not funny, just annoying. Drive-by shittings. But again, this is just my guess. There's another one whose name I won't mention who is much much much worse, but probably has not yet been reported or warned. By the way, BBS, I can't believe you didn't take him to task over his "porch monkeys" comment.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I think what we're dealing with isn't all that far off from the ebb and flow of this place. As a former moderator, a poster of some regularity, and now more of a ghost, I just don't think this board was ever truly cut out for a strict system of moderation. If anything, I think your average everyday poster was pretty good at dealing with an unwanted troll. Either the more vocal, dominant posters would try to rout the individual, or people would just stop paying attention to the drivel, or the troll would naturally burn themselves out.

I certainly think it's helpful to have a few standards. Certainly no one appreciates Photoshopped or stolen pictures claimed to be legitimate, or a bunch of spammed messages popping up across several categories. And those are fine, but I think moderators certainly get a bad name and find their patience stretched when dealing with extra rules, guidelines, protocol, etc. That's just taxing to begin with, and that might account for the recent increase in "Shut up!"-esque type responses.

Are the moderators literally being that draconian? I'm not sure, but if it's being perceived by a fair number of people on the board, there's a problem to deal with.

That said, no easy solution exists. I wouldn't overhaul the entire moderator system, but I certainly would advise a few folks to sip on some iced tea, beat the heat, and just relax around here. Ease up.

This board has withstood many reincarnations, server problems, transfers of ownership, a variety of trolls and liars, burgeoning civil wars of sorts, and grossly exaggerated dick. I am confident that this place will continue to stand, that dissatisfied people will get over the unnecessary and move on, and that we'll all stand to learn something.

Personally, when it gets a little too hectic or crazy, I just take a break. I'm working a couple of jobs anyway and my time is limited enough as is. When I hear that a lot of silly shit is going down, I just kinda roll it off of my shoulders. The good lot of it doesn't involve me, and I don't care to involve myself in it. That, and as of now, I've grown accustomed to not sticking around the site for all that long a time per session anyway. I occasionally pop in the chat room and people aren't talking, so, hasta la vista there. I glance at the new posts and I'll comment if something strikes me. But that's basically it...

One more point to consider, and probably the hardest to consider at all.

LPSG isn't the place we've grown to love, at least not right now. Sure, some of that is just "the way of things," but maybe it's because as our membership time increases, our needs and wants and desires for this site change, too. What started out as a source of amusement for me way back when became a good place to share information -- particularly about my own developing personal views on human sexuality. That's just priceless to me, being able to learn something new and to credit that to people who have opened up my mind and shaped me in some sort of way.

So, ask yourselves that: What do you really want out of this place? What is here for you?

Whatever the answer, make that your cause for sticking around instead of blaming it on trolls or politics or whatever. When you start focusing on what matters to you more, naturally, the petty stuff can't help but fall by the wayside. And if you decide that LPSG is just too much for you to tolerate, then by all means use your Web time elsewhere (because there's a lot of good stuff out there). That's cool. You won't be blamed for doing so.

Of course, it's very much possible to say to hell with the board and to still keep in touch with people you like. Between hiatuses, I try to keep up with board friends through IM and e-mail. Naturally, I'd get a bit disinterested if we were still talking LPSG stuff -- and, of course, we'd talk on other things -- and that made me realize that the friendships established are more than just pertinent to dicks and pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.