View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
^ Thank you for fixing that. If I ever need to make a trunk call to your solicitor in Cambridge I'll note your kindness; otherwise I'll just post a cheque to thank you.

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View

HappyBoi

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Thanks everyone for your answers! :D I so hope I'll make it! Everything you saw about Bath seems to be pretty amazing, now I can't wait until I (hopefully) get there! :biggrin1:

Well, as an Englishman, I can tell you that it can get pretty cold but probably no colder than Sweden so you would probably be fine. I have visited Bath - it is a nice, historical place with some lovely buildings. Some areas can be a little tourist-packed in the summertime but generally it seems like a genuinely nice place. The following site has information, links and images of the city. Bath Travel & Tourism | Bath Hotels & Accommodation Bath UK I only made a flying visit so I can't tell you too many details about the night-life etc. but the site should help to fill in the blanks for you. :) Perhaps another member could tell you more.

Generally speaking, the British are very open-minded and welcoming of new ideas and cultures. There are people from all over the world who have chosen to make this their home! I do know that there is a strong gay community here and plenty of associated activities. Fun can be found in many forms, whether it be a visit to a museum or 'fun' in its very simplest form. There are the occasional idiots to contend with but you expect that everywhere in the world. The educational facilities here are generally very good. I believe Bath University is quite well respected, so you would get on well there.

If you plan on touring Britain, (or even just England) my advice would be to explore everywhere. So many people go to see Buckingham Palace or Big Ben and inadvertently miss some of the best things! There is great beauty to be found in the architecture, the people and the countryside. So, all in all England is a great place with lots of things to do and friendly people. Good luck and I hope this helps! Reading this back I realise I sound like I'm working for the tourist board haha.

Thanks for the answer, Thunder! ;) I won't mind the coldness, we have our share, and I think it's even worse, here in Sweden! :tongue: Bath sounds great, and I'm happy it seems like the educational institutions are highly respected! :smile: (I just hope this doesn't mean the education will be HELL HARD... :eek:) Haha.

Maybe you could show me the country then? :biggrin1: Seems like you know what's worth visiting, and what's not! I'm always happy to meet new people and have nice company with me!

I did a program in Cambridge. I had a blast and met some really great people. (I actually learned something too) I can't recommend it highly enough if you have the opportunity.
But it was cold, bring warm clothes.

I've actually got a ESOL diploma (English for Speakers of Other Languages) form Cambridge University! :) I've never been there though, I took the course in Sweden!

And if you're going in winter, make sure you wear LIGHT clothing underneath your heavy clothing. People in England seriously overheat their houses (or at least my family do). I had to strip nearly everything off every time I stepped inside.

Haha, well, I'll just strip down to my boxers whenever I get inside then.. ;) Do you think people will mind? :tongue: Haha.

I live right next door to Bath, it really is the most beautiful of places.

There really is something for everyone there, and though I'm not a big drinker myself, it's also home to my favourite pub (They play decent music and it looks amazing!)

Bristol is only a stones throw away, and for me at least is far better shopping wise and has plenty of choices of things to do too if you get bored of Bath and fancy a change.

As for gay scenes... Bristol isn't too bad, though I don't know about Bath. There's basically one whopping huge road full of gay pubs/bars/clubs to suit most tastes, including a karaoke bar that I'm sure will be fine for a gay male, but the women, well one of them... Scared the shit out of me (I blame Flame Boy... He made me go!)

There are quite a few local members here too, so I'm sure you'd have plenty of offers to show you around the place if needed :biggrin1:

Wow, sounds like fun, both Bath and Bristol! :D Have I just found me new shopping-friend? Haha! :biggrin1: The gay scene in Bristol sounds like a blast, and the fact that there's people close by sounds like a lot of fun, would be really cool to get to know some! I bet we'd have fun crushing the gay streets! ;)

^^ What he said.

Plus, great architecture. Bath is lovely - quite well-to-do (wealthy) area, AND not too far from Wales haha.

Hihi, what does Wales have to do with anything? :tongue:

Thank goodness you're not responsible for promoting Bath.:tongue:

Bath is a beautiful place and us Brits really are quite nice. It's important to familiarise yourself with some of the local customs. A key one to remember is when making a new acquaintance, you should always offer to buy them a pint and packet of pork scratchings. This can take place in a bar, or in the vicinity of a bar*. Especially if her name is curious_angel.

* so basically anywhere in Bath.

From a student point-of-view, this sounds like a pretty expensive 'local custom'! ;) I am after all the visitor in your country, shouldn't you pamper me with stuff and gifts? :tongue: Hihi! I'd love to grab a drink (I don't drink beer.. :p) and.. uhm, pork scratchings (ugh, sounds terrible! :p) with you though, Angel! :smile:

Yummy, not had them in years^, also read up on some of the English slang and terminolgy of some things, example, Americans say Band Aids, we say Plasters, many other wordings too.:biggrin1:

Oh, how fun! Plaster is actually "Plåster" in swedish, so only diffrence is our fancy little extra thing above the A! :p I'll have to remember that a fag means a cigarette, haha, would be fun if someone asked me for one and I'd offer myself.. :tongue: I think I'll embaress myself quite a lot, but that's part of being a tourist or new to the country! :biggrin1:

England's about to get a whole lot hotter ;)

Aww.. tss, hihi, thanks a lot. :redface:

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'm afraid that I can only give a first hand education on boudin balnc, with a couple of scotch eggs on the side. How fussy are you?
Not fussy at all. :tongue: I'll happily settle for a boudin blanc, or even andouillette. I have a thirst for knowledge.

Scotch eggs I'm already familiar with. They're one of my guilty secrets, preferably with a good mayonnaise and English mustard. I must warn you that the mustard can induce an eye watering reaction*.

*especially when smeared thickly.

From a student point-of-view, this sounds like a pretty expensive 'local custom'! ;) I am after all the visitor in your country, shouldn't you pamper me with stuff and gifts? :tongue: Hihi! I'd love to grab a drink (I don't drink beer.. :p) and.. uhm, pork scratchings (ugh, sounds terrible! :p) with you though, Angel! :smile:
OK, I'll share a pork pie and a glass of cider with you instead. My treat. :smile:

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Haha, well, I'll just strip down to my boxers whenever I get inside then.. ;) Do you think people will mind? :tongue: Haha.

I managed to get a whole lot of attention by walking around in itty bitty Aussie singlet tops in the local shopping centre (it really WAS overheated - honestly!). I'm sure a good looking gay guy would get even more attention if he stripped to his boxers :biggrin1:.

I'm afraid that I can only give a first hand education on boudin balnc, with a couple of scotch eggs on the side. How fussy are you?

Did you HAVE to mention scotch eggs? Now I'm drooling.

OK, I'll share a pork pie and a glass of cider with you instead. My treat. :smile:

And YOU aren't helping! Just add some Scotch pies and I'll be in food heaven.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Not fussy at all. :tongue: I'll happily settle for a boudin blanc, or even andouillette. I have a thirst for knowledge.

I think scientists have proven it as reliale as a DNA test; namely having to be French to enjoy andouillette.

Saucisson d'ane on the other hand.............:wink:

Yeah yeah, promises promises.

You and me both SG - I could just murder a Mowbray or game pie. Oh god.

Last edited:

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Wow, sounds like fun, both Bath and Bristol! :D Have I just found me new shopping-friend? Haha! :biggrin1: The gay scene in Bristol sounds like a blast, and the fact that there's people close by sounds like a lot of fun, would be really cool to get to know some! I bet we'd have fun crushing the gay streets! ;)

Flamey and I would be more than happy to take you out and show you all the delights Bristol/Bath have to offer, though between the nut job lesbian who stalked me, and the guy who kept serenading my husband, I may skip the gay streets :wink:

arthurdent

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I grew up in Bristol and I have been to Bath several times and they are both beautiful historic cities, with great architecture. Bath was a Roman settlement and Bristol was a city and county for over 600 years. On the outskirts of Bath is England's smallest city, Wells which has an impressive gothic cathedral, famous for its scissor-arch and clock.

Bristol is definitely the best for nightlife and has plenty of gay and gay-friendly clubs. I haven't been clubbing there for 10 years, but there was a great club called Lakota, just off the Gloucester Road/City Road. I spent many a happy night there.