Stupid gym policy

RL_Praha

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
so then I'd direct you to read his post again
living out your fantacies is not really appropriate for a public or semipublic place like that
and the teacher schoolgirl is certainly valid unless the gym has a policy that only people above the legal age of sexual consent can workout there, but if it makes you feel better w can cahnage it to a college instead of a general school....
I have re-read (again) the original post and still can't find any references to him "living out his fantasies" - just that he enjoys being naked (although maybe you're referring to one of the replies).

I don't know what I don't know - maybe on your side of the Atlantic you have gay people prowling changing rooms and showers in the gym. Here you would be banned from the premises for behaving like that rather than enforcing a non-nudity rule.

A teacher is a professional in charge of minors so it's a huge ethical issue if he (or maybe she) is getting in any way "involved" with the students.

RL_Praha

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
America and Americans are so hung up on body issues and sex issues that it drives a lot of crazy behavior, both in regards to rules and laws and sexual expression -- the forbidden fruit syndrome. It also drives a lot of emotional problems, from eating disorders to sexual acting out (or not).
I love Europe. I say the vast majority are very relaxed about their bodies and therefore the rules about it. I've been to many saunas, etc. throughout Europe and everyone is always like, So what, you're naked. I am too.
But! But! The first time I went to one, over 20 years ago, I was Sweden (if I remember correctly). The sauna was a gym and after working out I went in, with a towel around my waist. I quickly realized that I was the odd man out as everyone else was nude. And then, in walked a family -- the entire family! - NAKED! The kids had towels draped around their personal parts, but it's not like they were clutching them for deal life. It was just "the family steam" time and that was that. I have to admit, I was not well traveled at the time and almost had a heart attack!!!
Oh yes, the whole family sauna activity. I hear it's a custom in Finland (where I have some friends living), and not unheard of here though I only see kids in the sauna rarely.

It's an interesting point about "forbidden fruit" syndrome. European countries vary, but in general the Central and Northern countries have a very relaxed and mature attitude towards nudity, and it's in no way conflated with sex. I'm not sure a "normal person" would take a swim suit to the gym (as opposed to the pool) purely for the purposes of covering up, at least not here.

Reactions: effedi7 and Heat

hot showers

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
wow...this thread turned negative. I agree with the OP that this is an unreasonable policy. I don't walk around with an erection or try to cruise the sauna or locket room. I do however get naked in these places. if someone is somehow offended by the sight of my penis, they shouldn't be in a men'should locker room.

suiseki

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I might be missing something here (Its happened before) I grew up in rural western Pa. and everyone I knew that went into the 7Th grade started showering naked, in group showers, after phys. ed., it was considered weird if you didn't....Isn't it still that way?

Reactions: submarine and Heat

Heat

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I might be missing something here (Its happened before) I grew up in rural western Pa. and everyone I knew that went into the 7Th grade started showering naked, in group showers, after phys. ed., it was considered weird if you didn't....Isn't it still that way?

From what I understand (from casual conversations with my son), students do not shower after P.E. class. Sports teams shower after practice and games, if the player wants to, though it is not mandatory.

More important: We have become a culture dedicated to the task of disconnecting everyone from their bodies. Several friends who are therapists have said it is part of reason we have become such a drug culture: many just don't have a relationship with their bodies. That relationship gets cut off at an early age via puritanical body shaming and framing the body around "the essence of sin." Cray-cray.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I am not a gym person, so I can only insert my personal opinion on the posting. There are other threads dedicated to open and communal shower stalls, more specifically guys who want to know where these open showers are in certain cities , both domestically and out of the country. I jokes about how some guys do not join gyms for the exercise but for the locker room show they provide; or so that they can show off, cruse the locker room.

There are 2 kinds of rules. Rules that are made up before something bad happens and rules that are made up after something bad happens.IF a gym has posted a policy of no nudity in certain areas, most likely they are reacting to an even that has happened at this or other facilities, where a person or persons took a few too many liberties with their nudity and made other uncomfortable.

In this day and age of equality among the sexes, some of us have forgotten a simple fact. Lewd Conduct, is punishable by arrest in many states of the union and no longer are these laws directed to Man on Woman. Man on Man Men in close quarters / changing room. Man :A: decides so quickly stroke one, can be arrested, if the observing party is offended

Granted that LPSG is a micro culmination of he adult sexual community. But just an FYI. Verbally transmitting your intents, masturbation, touching your genitals in a sexual manner. The simplest thing that I can tie back to the gyms Rules that there is likely to be someone present or watching who would be offended by your conduct. That is all it takes

Depending on the number of complaints, or Lewd violations,an establishment can be closed by the local government. So cut the Gym owner some slack

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My gym is more or less like gyms were thirty or forty years ago. It may be because this city is relatively small (under 100K), everyone has one or two degrees of separation from everyone else, and there are only two full-service gyms. When I go there I see my former students, colleagues, neighbors, doctor, etc... There are few secrets in this town which means that most people behave courteously.

Reactions: Heat and notN2pussy

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Rules like this come about because some people don't realize that a typical gym is a place for people to work out, not live out their sexual fantasies or force them on unwilling bystanders :rolleyes:

This is going to make me pretty unpopular here but I've wanted to say it for awhile:
There is nothing wrong with nudity itself, but most of the threads on here are about guys walking around with erections, sex and blowjobs in the showers/steam room/sauna/public restrooms/etc, or exposing themselves to other people. I think spending time here desensitizes people and makes them think this is acceptable and welcome behavior in public places.
Despite what popular LPSG opinion would have you believe, most normal people do not want to walk into a public place like a locker room, shower, sauna, bathroom, classroom, etc and see a stranger with an erection, someone masturbating, someone's balls hanging out of their shorts, people having anal sex, giving blowjobs, "running a train", etc. Its fucking gross and disturbing :eek:

These rules wouldn't be necessary if people could be trusted to use their discretion to find an appropriate time/place for things like this.

Don't be such a prude.

:p

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
[QUOTE="RL_Praha, post: 6122540, member: 1027385" Here you would be banned from the premises for behaving like that rather than enforcing a non-nudity rule.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm with punishing poor conduct rather than enforcing a no-nudity policy.

With the exception of co-ed saunas, every sauna I've ever been to has had a towel policy. Some men go in swim shorts, some go naked, some just keep a towel on. Regardless, everyone's sitting on a towel, so no hygiene worries. Besides, I would never put my naked ass on some hot-as-fuck sauna bench anyway.

Also, I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to the OP and agree that there's nothing wrong with liking to be around other naked folks. I like to be around other naked people, not because I like to perv out, but because it makes me feel better about my own body. Unlike the OP, I don't really care if the environment is male-only, but there are definitely times when I want to be in an environment with people of my own gender, just as there are times when I want to be around queer people, and just as there are times when I like to be around people who geek out over the same things I do. It's about comfort, and it's legitimate.

And I could see where a gym would post a no nudity policy if a sauna has gotten cruisy (I would rather keep my towel wrapped around me at a no-nudity sauna than get ogled relentlessly) - but, that tells me that the gym let things get way the fuck out of hand before stepping in. I wouldn't go there either, not because of the no-nudity policy, but because I would assume they don't nip other poor behaviour in the bud either, like people who don't wipe down machines, people who hog equipment, people who think they have the right to comment on strangers' bodies, people who make crazy aggro noises when they're lifting, etc.

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
You question why it's such a big deal for you to be nude... I question why it's such a big deal for you not to be.
Personally, I'm no prude... But I don't especially care to be around a bunch of naked women. I have no issues with a naked body... But I also have no desire to lounge around next to a random naked woman. Especially if I get the feeling that she may get some kind of sexual pleasure out of being nude in front of me. Anyway, allowing nudity in the locker room hasn't kept me from being a member at a gym... But if being naked is such a big deal to you... Join a gym that allows it. What's the big deal?

Last edited:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You question why it's such a big deal for you to be nude... I question why it's such a big deal for you not to be.
Personally, I'm no prude... But I don't especially care to be around a bunch of naked women. I have no issues with a naked body... But I also have no desire to lounge around next to a random naked woman. Especially if I get the feeling that she may get some kind of sexual pleasure out of being nude in front of me. Anyway, allowing nudity in the locker room hasn't kept me from being a member at a gym... But if being naked is such a big deal to you... Join a gym that allows it. What's the big deal?
I'm ambivalent about nudity. What I'm particular about is propriety. For what is the space intended? I just like to know that up front, and set my expectations and behavior accordingly. I've been in gyms that had sauna and steam available in the locker rooms. I can't actually tell you what anyone else did, because I don't remember, and possibly never noticed. I went in wrapped in my towel, with no clothes underneath. If I was alone, or knew the other women, and knew they wouldn't mind, I sat on the towel and was nude in the sauna. In the steam room, I sat wrapped in my towel until there was zero visibility, then I stood, nude, but for my flip flops. I am skeeved out by wet surfaces others have touched. I don't have a problem with the nudity of strangers as long as they adhere to behavioral expectations. That's been true at non-sexual places like locker rooms, c/o beaches and pools, and at more sexual places like BDSM clubs, swinger meet-ups, c/o resorts, etc. At the nude beach, a leering stranger is breaching behavioral expectations, especially with families nearby. At a swinger venue, the leering guy is just flirting poorly. At the beach, I might tell that guy where to go. At the swinger venue, I ignore the unfortunate, ill-mannered soul. His behavior is acceptable; I just don't like it.

Like the OP, I don't really believe underwear in the steam room and sauna are appropriate. I think a towel protects person from surfaces, and surfaces from a person. I think it's okay if the towel is open. After all, half the point is the benefit to the skin, so the skin ought to be exposed. I just wish all the people fucking and sucking in the sauna would cut it out and go use the saunas at sex resorts instead.

xBUDDYx

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
No. Pack trunks or swim shorts like a normal person.

Yes. Wring them out and wrap them in your towel, like a normal person.

Hygiene.

So people who does not bring swin trunks to the the sauna or gym are not normal? That is an interesting assessment

Reactions: Heat

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My dad was a member of the YMCA men's health club for decades. Every day after work he'd meet his friends there and work out, sauna, etc. It was an important part of his social life.
He started complaining that almost every week he'd walk in on guys having sex or giving bjs in the steam room, showers, etc. My dad is not homophobic at all, but eventually he quit his membership because he was just so grossed out by it and the fact that the men's health club became a hunting ground for people looking for sex or just to perv on other guys :rolleyes:

Many people are mature enough to deal with nudity in a non-sexual/non-pervy manner, unfortunately its the few that have no discretion or self control that ruin it for everyone :(

I feel sorry for your father, truly I do......this shit is just wrong on so many levels lol.

Reactions: nailz

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think some of this just comes down to basic courtesy as to how people conduct themselves, and behaving with respect, even asking to make sure one is clear about the vibe and feedback.

I have spent a lot of time in saunas gyms and pools where signs about "wearing swim suits in the sauna" were in the locker rooms. Interestingly, the rules weren't always observed but there was never any problem. It was never a problem to be naked in the sauna if alone or with another naked guy, if a guy came in wearing a swim suit it was easy enough to cover up with a towel. Sometimes seeing other guys naked, he then might take his swim suit off within a minute. If he didn't then we would cover up. The vibe could change later on though.

I would often lie on my towel with my ass in the air which was never offensive to anyone. Shoving my cock in someone's face, or stroking a hard cock if they are not interested has never been fun for me. The saunas were checked by staff regularly and sometimes I was there alone lying on my towel relaxing on my stomach or with a soft cock when they came in - there was always a friendly greeting and nothing said despite the signs. I felt the signs were more of a guideline to be careful and to be used as an excuse to get rid of sex pests.

If I was naked in the sauna and another guy I didn't know came in I would just say, "do you mind if I stay stay stretched out, I'm happy to put my shorts on though". There always was a percentage of closeted or straight guys who did seem to admire from afar - that was fine by me. Everyone was happy to be asked and happy for me to be relaxed as as I was totally naked.

There has always seemed to me to be a rule for the young, handsome and big cocked guys --and more acceptance of their nudity. If you are older, less attractive and with a smaller cock, then realistically less people are going to want or tolerate your nudity. Guys who don't get this can be a problem. Yes it's a double standard, and its not fair perhaps but let's be realistic about what appeals to most people and what they want to see.

All the regulars in the gym knew who the straight boys were and respected that. If a number of gay guys were naked in the sauna there's bound to be some discrete action happening - some would be happy to join in, and others were keen to watch and admire from afar. Even amongst the gay guys some pervy gropy unattractive person might be given the signal to respect the personal space of the rest of us.

I thought that it worked out well, the some gay guys liked to be naked and sexual in that context. They understood that as long as there were no hassles, and they didn't cause trouble there wasn't going to be a problem. I'm all for gay rights but personal respect of others comes as part of the deal. No one likes a perv living out their private fantasy regardless of the feelings, or thoughts of others around them.

These are my thoughts, I don't expect to win universal approval.

Bobby Briggs

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
To the original poster of this thread, don't listen to the people who are saying "bring a bathing suit, like a normal person." You're not abnormal for wanting to go to a gym with open nudity and men comfortable with their bodies; I certainly wouldn't have joined that gym either. It really makes a lot of sense for us to all go out to the gym and pump hard to improve or bodies and our physiques and then retire to a locker room where we hide our bodies in shame and act like if another man sees our penis, we will die right away and the world will explode.

Reactions: RL_Praha

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I have been to gyms where the sauna, steam and whirl pool are coed so naturally you have to suit up to use them. Never saw a prohibition on naked for these facilities in a locker room. Exact opposite actually. In one place there was a sign that clothing was not allowed in the sauna. Two places had signs banning underwear OR swimsuits in the hot tub to avoid filtering problems.

Reactions: RL_Praha