Stupid People!

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Even more amusing is the highest bidder has 50-99 feedback so isn't a total greenhorn. Maybe they're stupid, maybe they have a box fetish or perhaps the auction is really a front for Triad money laundering?

Stop Press: Bidder 12 saw sense and backed out of a £1000!!! bid - and the winning sucker, sorry bidder and owner of a lovely cardboard box is...lucky (but not in this case) newbie bidder 13.

I'd pay to see the look on their face when it arrives in the post..."Gee, these new fangled XBOX 360s are awfully light, wait...Oh &*^^*!!!"

Kind of. I'd pay that much for your box though, hotmilf.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't think it's so much that people are stupid. I think it's more that the seller is a theif. He does not mention that it is the empty box from an XBox.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't think it's so much that people are stupid. I think it's more that the seller is a theif. He does not mention that it is the empty box from an XBox.

The item is (or rather was as it's been removed) described as an XBOX360 BOX, not a console. It was certainly intended to mislead and if you have the intelligence of a conker, (which clearly at least 13 people on Ebay do) it does. The seller wasn't lying so isn't technically a thief.

Formulates cunning plan for old appliance boxes...:rolleyes:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The item is (or rather was as it's been removed) described as an XBOX360 BOX, not a console. It was certainly intended to mislead and if you have the intelligence of a conker, (which clearly at least 13 people on Ebay do) it does. The seller wasn't lying so isn't technically a thief.

Formulates cunning plan for old appliance boxes...:rolleyes:

Technically you CAN sell a refrigerator box in Manhattan as an apartment.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sorry, the joke went over your head.

Err, no, it don't think so, it just wasn't that funny (and cupboards have been sold in London as bedsits). In fact, I was responding in kind but it seems you missed it.

Let me explain.

Selling a fridge as an apartment would be a blatant mis representation of the item, as would selling a wheelbarrow as a mobile home, agreed? But, selling a box as a box when it's described as a box, isn't.

The ebay sale was an attempt at mere misdirection. Bidders presumably assumed it was mis-described in error and was actually a console whereas it was just a box and described as such. To them it was (prima facie) a perfectly honest sale of an item inaccurately described. Whereas in fact it was (almost certainly) a 'dishonest' (i.e. one intended to mislead) sale of an item but one accurately described.

The point as per the OP being that to be fooled by such simple misdirection would require a certain level of gullibility and expectation (whereas no one really buys a wheelbarrow to be a home). The allegation of 'theft' is one you applied based presumably on an angry reaction to your own similar (mis)interpretation. No one likes to be fooled, it's a natural response.

Now, going back to my first paragraph - just to make it quite clear; if I saw (and bought) a walk-in fridge (or wheelbarrow) for sale as a home because it was listed in 'apartments for sale' even though it wasn't described as one, (or, frankly even if it was) would that make the seller a thief or me incredibly stupid?

That's far more time than this warranted.:smile:

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
There is a use for an empty box. I've seen people sell boxes on eBay for MacIntoshes because the Apple Computer company will validate a warranty if it's mailed back in the 'original' box.

And I've seen sellers also selling empty boxes for video games. Not that I've seen the X-Box scam before.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The ebay sale was an attempt at mere misdirection. Bidders presumably assumed it was mis-described in error and was actually a console whereas it was just a box and described as such. To them it was (prima facie) a perfectly honest sale of an item inaccurately described. Whereas in fact it was (almost certainly) a 'dishonest' (i.e. one intended to mislead) sale of an item but one accurately described.

Saying it is a console would be wrong too. A console is an instrument panel. It is a gaming unit. I don't think that people who bid on this thinking it is a gaming unit and not knowing it is a box are stupid.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Saying it is a console would be wrong too. A console is an instrument panel. It is a gaming unit. I don't think that people who bid on this thinking it is a gaming unit and not knowing it is a box are stupid.

Well, equipment naming pedantry aside, if not stupid I'll settle for functionally illiterate.

I'm done here.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well, equipment naming pedantry aside, if not stupid I'll settle for functionally illiterate.

I'm done here.

The thing is named "X BOX. So seeing the word box again in the title it is more likely to be missed than "Playstaion Box" or "WII Box" or "Gamecube Box".

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
The thing is named "X BOX. So seeing the word box again in the title it is more likely to be missed than "Playstaion Box" or "WII Box" or "Gamecube Box".

Well done Mem - that is the point of the scam - that is how it 'works'.

*applause from the gallery*

Now stop being a sore loser - you were wrong in your first post on this thread - you got called on it - it's not a biggie.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well done Mem - that is the point of the scam - that is how it 'works'.

*applause from the gallery*

Now stop being a sore loser - you were wrong in your first post on this thread - you got called on it - it's not a biggie.

I wasn't wrong. My opinion is that they are not stupid, they were just mislead by a scam. Americans are more trusting and Europeans are more cynical.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media

The description was for an XBoxBox

I wasn't wrong. My opinion is that they are not stupid, they were just mislead by a scam. Americans are more trusting and Europeans are more cynical.

Yes, you were wrong - and yes, they were scammed - but not lied to.

I'm now also done here :rolleyes:

Woe is me.

Wrong thread, wiseguy, but hey, I'll put on a mask and squeal if it makes ya feel better. :wink:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yes, you were wrong - and yes, they were scammed - but not lied to.

I'm now also done here :rolleyes:

Now that you are done here. YOU ARE WRONG...Bwa ha ha ha ha .

Now what am I supposed to do with an empty X-Box box, I guess I should have known when the shipping was only $1.:biggrin1: