stupid question

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah, Oct 13, 2007.

1. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

Yes, this is a stupid question but one that no matter how many people ive asked no-one has been able to answer.

Why are gay women given the title of lesbians but gay men are only referred to as gay?

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Merry Men are from Mars
    Women are from Lesbos

3. Mr Ed in Mass

Gold Member

Massachusetts,The most corrupt of the 57 states.
    I'm a lesbian!

4. hungbiguyuk

hungbiguyuk New Member

Albums:
    The term Lesbian is derived from the Greek island of Lesbos.

Sapho lived on Lesbos and wrote poems with emotional content directed at other women. Sapho was of course female.

It is this link that has associated female homosexuals with the island of Lesbos and the word Lesbian has evolved with time.

I can only assume that no similar link or association exists involving male homosexuals with a place etc and therefore there are no names classically associated with us.

Hope this helps, someone else may elaborate.

5. GayBot

GayBot New Member

Well Unless Ive Been Under A Rock I Believe The Term Queer, Fag And Pillowbiters Have Been Offered As Perfectly Good Referrences... Being One Who Isnt Offended In The Correct Tone Or Context.

6. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

From wikipedia (I have corrected the punctuation):
    The use of gay to mean homosexual was in origin merely an extension of the word's sexualised connotation of "carefree and uninhibited," which implied a willingness to disregard conventional or respectable sexual mores. Such usage is documented as early as the 1920s. It was initially more commonly used to imply heterosexually unconstrained lifestyles, as for example in the once-common phrase "gay Lothario," or in the title of the book and film The Gay Falcon (1941), which concerns a womanizing detective whose first name is "Gay."
    Well into the mid-20th century a middle-aged bachelor could be described as "gay" without any implication of homosexuality. This usage could apply to women too. The British comic strip Jane was first published in the 1930s and described the adventures of Jane Gay. Far from implying homosexuality, it referred to her freewheeling lifestyle with plenty of boyfriends (while also punning on Lady Jane Grey).
    A passage from Gertrude Stein's Miss Furr & Miss Skeene (1922) is possibly the first traceable published use of the word to refer to a homosexual relationship, though it is not altogether clear whether she uses the word to mean lesbianism or happiness:
    "They were ...gay, they learned little things that are things in being gay, ... they were quite regularly gay.”

7. GayBot

GayBot New Member

What Verbiage, Your Tongue Must Go A Mile A Minuite

8. No_Strings

Gold Member

Maybe this is an english thing, but;

Homosexual Male = Poof (Pronounced 'puff')
    Homosexual Female = Lesbian
    Homosexual of either gender = Gay

9. viking1

Gold Member

Yes, I think "Poof" is a English thing. The first time I ever heard it what it meant was from an Australian guy.

10. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    San Franciscans??? :rolleyes:

Ooo, or maybe just Franciscans, for short? Oh, wait! That one's already taken, isn't it? :tongue: Uh-oh, I feel a slew of priest jokes about to happen. Or better... Pecker? You there? Something incorporating "gay", Franciscans, and their "habits" (double-entendre intended). :tongue:

11. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    "Gay" refers to either sex, as does "queer".

The term "homosexual woman" sounds really odd to me. I have always associated the word "homo" with "man" and "homosexual" as a man who has sex with men.

Lesbian, coming from the Greek island of Lesbos, has been described above.

12. GayBot

GayBot New Member

Hey Arlis And Mem Arent Trolls... Answer My Riddle And Ill Let You Into The Gap...

13. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I use gay to refer to either sex, and lesbians get called dykes too. When I was a kid this term wasn't really in vogue but even then the story of the little Dutch boy sticking his finger in the dyke felt vaguely sexual to me.

14. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Um, are you replying to the wrong thread?? :confused:

15. sbeBen

sbeBen New Member

Some words like "puff", queer or "dyke" are thought of as derogatory. It is apparently ok when used by a gay person to describe themselves or other gays. Seems double standards to me.

16. Phenix

Phenix Member

Albums:
    No, I think it's much like blacks referring to each other using the "n" word...but placed on the lips of a non-black person, it's totally deragatory...

17. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    As I understand, the term "gay" was a bit of argot among what we would now call gay men, used in the phrase "gay boy," long before it entered into the common vocabulary. So in its origins it was primarily used by and applied to males. As it entered into common usage, people tried to use it as a synonym for "homosexual" and therefore to apply it also to women, but that way of using it seems never to have become fully established.

The association between "homo" and masculinity is not well-founded, at least as far as etymology is concerned. There is a Latin word "homo" which means "man"; but not "man" in the sense of a male; rather simply in the older sense of "human being." (The Latin for "man" in the sense of "adult male human being" is "vir.") In addition to that, the first half of the word "homosexual" comes from the Greek "homos" rather than from the Latin "homo." The word is a bastard combination of Greek and Latin, with the intended meaning "one who is sexually oriented toward the same sex (as himself or herself)."

18. GayBot

GayBot New Member

I Dont Mind If It Is Said In Humerous Terms, Or Without Malice... Even Then, Its No Worse Than The N Word... O Well It Isnt A Perfect World, Lets All Commit Suicide Together, One , Two , Three, Go

19. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    There are no stupid questions...only stupid people. :biggrin1:

20. GayBot

GayBot New Member

I prefer fag... its a nice short word

Draft saved Draft deleted