Stupid Things You See In The Gym

I cringe every time I see someone lock their knees or elbows while lifting heavy weights, especially doing a bench press.
Why though? Our joints are perfectly capable of handling weight when fully extended.

Um... No.
Knees specially can and will break backwards if enough weight is applied, say, like when you lock them during a press exercise
In 99.9% of cases they most certainly wont. Any joint that locks out is evolutionarily designed to do so. The examples of hyperextension injuries you are describing are likely down to an abnormal laxity in the joint which compromises its integrity in addition to loads in excess of what the individual has trained to handle.

You are required to lock out all lifts in the strength sports (powerlifting, weightlifting and strongman). Injury rates are low across the board in strength sports when compared to field sports. I don't have any figures at hand but catastrophic hyperextension injuries (like what you're describing) are extremely rare in these athletes who are lifting weights far in excess of the average gym goer.

The idea of not locking out generally stems from bodybuilding where the belief is that not locking out will keep more tension on the muscles. Again this is unlikely (tell me your tricep is not tense while locking out a heavy bench press.

To play devils advocate, I don't think it's absolutely necessary to lock out, particularly if it causes you discomfort, but provided it doesn't there is no reason not to lock out as we ideally want to strengthen our muscles, joints, connective tissue etc through as large a range of motion as possible.

PS you probably shouldn't reply in such a condescending way ("um ...no") if you're going to give an absolute piss poor retort to my comment, clearly demonstrating you have no knowledge on the topic whatsoever.

Reactions: 51arledge

Our joints may very well be able to handle locking out, but with hundreds of extra pounds of weight? Perhaps if you move slowly, but I've seen people moving toward completing the rep in a very rapid motia

If they are completing the rep rapidly then the weight has to be light (relative to their own strength) as a relatively heavy load can't be moved with high velocity.

I'd also be willing to bet none of the people you've seen doing so suffered an injury.

If they are completing the rep rapidly then the weight has to be light (relative to their own strength) as a relatively heavy load can't be moved with high velocity.

I'd also be willing to bet none of the people you've seen doing so suffered an injury.

Conclusion from the following systematic review 'The Epidemiology of Injuries Across the Weight-Training Sports'

"The injury rates for the weight training sports appeared considerably lower than those reported for many team sports."

Again to reiterate weight training is recommended by the American Academy of Sports Medicine and in most national physical activity guidelines as it is beneficial to ones health. Silly anecdotes about the supposed dangers of weightlifting are harmful in that they discourage people from becoming involved in strength training despite the evidence showing it to be a safe mode of exercising.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Things like these, although I apologize before such a great show.
I have seen that too! But who am I to try and correct her..? Not sure about the muscle groups or even the form... But I say run with it! :D

• Haha
Reactions: VonMitte

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My gym made the decision to allow high school age children to work out for free anytime they want during the summer break. Lately, no matter what time I go, the place looks like a fricking daycare with teens taking up all the equipment in packs, none of them cleaning them off and looking like the only knowledge of weight-training that got was from some schmo with a YouTube channel.

This really sucks for the dues paying members who want to just come and power through our workouts and then go about our day, but now have to contend with both the usual adult social media scrollers taking up equipment, as well as these new Gen Z interlopers. It also makes it harder to keep one's distance from the unmasked, heavy panting hordes when the gym now has twice the usual capacity. To say nothing of the liability the gym is opening itself up to by allowing kids to work out unsupervised, this has got to one of the stupidest decisions at the corporate level.

This keeps up I might have to find another (and unfortunately more expensive) gym or dust off my home set-up; at least for the next two months :mad:.

• Wow
Reactions: malakos

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Virtually anything in a Smith machine. I had a saying, "Squat racks are for squats; Smith machines are for douchebags."
I finally decided to dig up the half century drama of the "Smith machine"... So I Googled "Are Smith machines bad?"... Turns out it's discussed like American politics (had no idea)! We have one at my gym. The majority of users are women (that have amazing builds btw...) that I see use it when I'm there. Now I'm strictly a dumbbell guy when it comes to free weights for personal reasons. But I did find this article about it.
https://the-home-gym.com/what-is-the-smith-machine

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There's a guy at my gym who (for years!) has done ONLY these same 2 stupid things:
* On a decline bench he does--not a sit up---but a 1/4 range of motion "curl up" ??? Honestly, I don't know what to call it. He just curls up from his shoulder blade area. He does this very fast with terrible form on a move that looks like a bad idea, and then...
* On a back extension rack, he does 1/4 range of motion bends then extensions, again only in the upper part of his back.

The only cardio he does is to jack the treadmill up to its maximum angle and then hop on at an aggressive speed and hold on for life!

Reactions: Markyoung873