Stupid Things You See In The Gym

bramio

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Heavy weights with no lifting belt to protect lower back. Poor form or posture. Anything too manic--especially newbies who push too hard for their level of fitness.

Haven't been a gym regular in years. It's more convenient to work out at home.:cool:
I know how dangerous is to do lifting without back protection, saw such people several times.
I started doing workouts at home when the pandemic began and got used to the new regime. Now I also don't want to go to the gym.

Reactions: halcyondays

naturist89

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Since almost everyone in the second vid is doing it, I forgot to add that a Clean & Jerk is an advanced Olympic lift with several potential points of injury. Professionals train years to perfect their technique. But somehow Crossfit promotes that newbies should be jumping right into it with the heaviest weight they can budge without any training or a spotter, all while being yelled at by morons : unamused:

There is no reason the average person looking to build muscle or get fit needs to ever do a Clean & Jerk. It can be broken down into separate exercises that can be done in a totally safe, controlled way.
I know this was posted a while ago but I just ran across this thread. I was working out at the gym when I heard a huge bang! It was this small woman doing clean & jerks. She would then just sit on the floor listening to her headphones, then get up and do it again...and again and again. She would drop the barbell from over her head and just let it slam into the floor. What an obnoxious exercise. Why do the rest of us have to be subjected to this noise? My ears were ringing.
Seems to me that doing this exercise is an injury about to happen. Can't image anyone doing this for long before they experience at least knee and back pain.
One bright spot: it's been months since I've seen anyone else doing this at my gym. Hope it stays that way.

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I know this was posted a while ago but I just ran across this thread. I was working out at the gym when I heard a huge bang! It was this small woman doing clean & jerks. She would then just sit on the floor listening to her headphones, then get up and do it again...and again and again. She would drop the barbell from over her head and just let it slam into the floor. What an obnoxious exercise. Why do the rest of us have to be subjected to this noise? My ears were ringing.
Seems to me that doing this exercise is an injury about to happen. Can't image anyone doing this for long before they experience at least knee and back pain.
One bright spot: it's been months since I've seen anyone else doing this at my gym. Hope it stays that way.

Take your business to Planet Fitness.

They don't allow that sh*t. :)

AcklesBerry727

Legendary Member
Media
Take your business to Planet Fitness.

They don't allow that sh*t. :)
You will always find that one obnoxious girl at the gym trying to get you to check her out. At least we do in the UK. Attention seekers using their phones.

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
You will always find that one obnoxious girl at the gym trying to get you to check her out. At least we do in the UK. Attention seekers using their phones.

Lol.

There was a girl that came in every morning for about a week. Totally inappropriate skin-tight "catsuit". She would hit a machine, do one rep, stroll around a bit, hit another machine for one rep, and so on.

I'm sure she was a prostitute trying to drum up business...

Reactions: ItalTony9

abapl

Expert Member
Media
there's a regular at my gym who looks like Andy Star but more muscular and more chiseled. it was clear that all the girls were attracted to him, and all the guys wanted to be like him. he's the kind of guy that you try to hide your glances from but wouldnt mind staring at him all day if you thought you can get away with it.

One day, he was working out next to the bench next to me, the row of benches in front of the dumb bell racks that are in front of the wall mirror. I was definitely distracted hehe, but all of that quickly went away. Strike 1: he started working out right in front of the dumb bell racks, so no one can grab weights in that area. Strike 2: He re-racked the weights in the wrong area. Usually, there's designated area for each type of weight- he didnt care enough to put them in the correct place. Strike 3: One of his weights that he re-racked fell. He paused and then just walked away (also didnt wipe his bench after he was done). Instant boner-killer. I tell you nothing kills the mood than any of these things let alone all three.

JBrown61

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I pay an amount of money that's difficult to justify, even by NYC standards, but the difference in gym etiquette I see at Equinox versus other gyms is miles better.

That still, however, doesn't eliminate all bad behavior. There are a few folks who insist on doing circuit workouts and taking up three or four machines at once and loudly letting you know that they were "using" a machine if you so much as dare to use one in the middle of their super-super-super-super set.

I don't have a problem with people using multiple dumbbells at once or doing a superset of a bench barbell with a kettlebell or dumbbell since they're not getting in the way of someone using that bench, but come the fuck on with using machines. Your footprint is at least twenty times larger when you're claiming multiple machines, and there's often only one of each machine in a gym.

Also, there's the one guy who doesn't wash his hands, or the guy who pisses hands free but at least has the courtesy to wash his hands. I always wipe up my gym equipment before use, but not washing your hands after touching your piss-covered cock is just fucking disgusting.

Reactions: Plasticroad1

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This has happened a few times but I'm finding it to be my biggest pet peeve in an age where everyone seems to be connected to their phone. I'm coming back from the showers and i'm trying to get to my locker and there is a guy just sitting on the bench texting. I try to give him a minute or 2 hoping that he'd realize that I was waiting to get to my locker which he was sitting in front of. He didn't get the clue so I politely ask him if he'd mind moving down a little so that I could get to my locker. Tell me why he had a look of annoyance on his face by my request. The lockerroom is generally a place to move rather quickly because it's a shared space. Most of the time the type of people that amble around slowly in the lockerroom are newbies who don't understand gym etiquette. Often times people who are coming from the showers may have somewhere to be directly after and may need to move quickly and be dressed so that they can get going. I'm at the point where I'm going to ask management to post signage discouraging people from lounging and texting on the lockerroom benches.

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
IMO, cellphones and any video-recording-capable device should be prohibited from use on locker-rooms.

I wish you lots of luck with that one because it is highly unlikely to happen and, if so, then highly unlikely to be respected.

The simple fact is, most people today cannot survive more than ten minutes without their smartphone.

Reactions: Markyoung873
D

deleted19412531

A man in my gym uses the squat machine in a very strange way. It's one of those ones where the bar slides up and down in a fixed horizontal plane. The name escapes me. Instead of standing and doing a squat he pushes a bench underneath, lies on it, lifts his legs in the air and proceeds to lift the bar up and down with his feet. He is quite a rotund middle age man. He always insists on pointing his arse out for everyone to look at while he does this bizarre move. I managed to get a video of it once which I have saved somewhere on WhatsApp.

• Haha

steel33

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I wish you lots of luck with that one because it is highly unlikely to happen and, if so, then highly unlikely to be respected.

The simple fact is, most people today cannot survive more than ten minutes without their smartphone.
I saw a lady do her workout while the whole time on the phone, but she was somehow able to do it with her neck cocked with the phone on her shoulder. I'm sure it was a great workout

Phantom253

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Agreed, people are addicted to their electronic devices. Have you ever been engaged in a conversation with someone and when the phone rings the other person immediately stops conversing with you and answers the phone? Seems to me that they're a slave to their phone and not the other way around.

22D ROCK

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I guess I'm hating because I'm not a runner, but where I go there is an indoor track. Normally, before I begin my workout, I will walk a few laps (10 laps = 1 mile), just to get my head right and loosen up a bit. Sometimes there is this older dude running.

We're inside, but he is running like it is in the pitch black of night time. He has got a reflective hat, reflective vest, hi-visibility eye busting shirt, shorts, and shoes. Tone it down, Man! The lights are on in the building, dude! We can't help but see you. You're not going to get run over inside. C'mon!

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I guess I'm hating because I'm not a runner, but where I go there is an indoor track. Normally, before I begin my workout, I will walk a few laps (10 laps = 1 mile), just to get my head right and loosen up a bit. Sometimes there is this older dude running.

We're inside, but he is running like it is in the pitch black of night time. He has got a reflective hat, reflective vest, hi-visibility eye busting shirt, shorts, and shoes. Tone it down, Man! The lights are on in the building, dude! We can't help but see you. You're not going to get run over inside. C'mon!

My wife has run several marathons, half marathons, 10k and 5k's. She learned early on that it is important to train in the same clothes and shoes she would wear for an event. The longer the event, the more important it is to follow this rule.

VT4

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm at the point where I'm going to ask management to post signage discouraging people from lounging and texting on the lockerroom benches.

My gym has signs about not talking in phones on the gym floor; not using cell phones in the and no cell phones in the sauna.

The signs are ignored.

I will speak up if phone calls are made in the sauna and anytime video or photos are being taken in the sauna or locker room (OK, the vanity mirror selfies is a lost cause).

Yes, I have someone starting a Facetime in the sauna and then told me to mind my own F business when I spoke up. I reported him.

• Haha