Subliminal Messaging - Scary Stuff

hung_big: Hey, I got this link from someone and it's kinda freaky and funny at the same time. There are a few songs when played backwards they either praise satan, or entice you to sleep with britney spears...LOL :D

Check it out:

http://www3.telus.net/jefmil/stairwaybackwards.htm

You won't understand it unless you put the lyrics up too (click below "Play Reverse Lyrics" -> Show reverse Lyrics)

And we can also discuss. What do you think should happen to these artists and bands if they are caught singing subliminal messages? Some of it is really disturbing, and Coke Got sued a decade ago for putting hidden sex appeal in their product - a different form of subliminal messaging. I think these artists should not be able to produce anymore publically listened to songs and should be thrown in jail. There should also be a publc alert for these types of things.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
ehhhh. it would be more convincing if any of the reverse recordings actually sounded anything like the author's (admittedly amusing) interpretations. with the exception of the pink floyd one (which was deliberate and everyone knew about forever anyway) I think he's pulling your leg.

hung_big: Did you not hear the Led Zepplin one? That one is pretty damn convincing!

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Two other possibilities are far more likely than subliminal satanic messages:

1) The band did it on purpose, just for fun. The technology to do this has existed for decades, but it's extremely easy to do now. The Beatles, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin all experimented with backwards recordings in their songs -- completely intentionally -- just to create weird sounds. The fact that all of them experimented with hallucinatory drugs and the occult makes it even more likely that they were goofing around or playing jokes.

2) It's gibberish and people hear what they want to hear. If you're listening for it, you can imagine a lot of things.

Also, "subliminal messages" of this kind are not proven to actually do anything to the listener/viewer. In other words, there's no proof that they work. So basically it's a hoax on several levels.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, the fact the Jimmy Page bought and lived in Alistaire Crowley's old mansion did wonders for their rep as Satanic messengers, but only the daft believe that crap anyway.

I'm sure not offended by Brittney Spears doing it, I'll never hear it anyway, but if ya wanna stop her from recording, I'm in!

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Regardless of whether the messages are there or not, or whether they were intentional or not -- they have no effect upon the listener when played forward. Studies have shown that even at the subconscious level, people cannot "hear backwards". [brief link here, more detailed PDF link here]

hung_big: That's good to know, but I still think that these artists should be banned for even attempting to put subliminal messaging in their music. Of course, alot of it is wishful thinking (like the Britney Spears and Pokemon one), but the ones that are undenyable (Queen and Led Zepplin) shouldn't be allowed to do things like that.

But amusing now the least!

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Subliminal advertising's all a scam anyway. And not just in the way all advertising is either. Think about it: If your senses don't detect an image, how will your brain?

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
All you really can do is basically what we are saying right now. Your mind belongs to you, not some harebrained Cold War-era scheme.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by jonb@Mar 11 2005, 10:09 PM
All you really can do is basically what we are saying right now. Your mind belongs to you, not some harebrained Cold War-era scheme.
[post=290219]Quoted post[/post]​

I worship you. really.

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by hung_big@Mar 11 2005, 12:03 PM
That's good to know, but I still think that these artists should be banned for even attempting to put subliminal messaging in their music. Of course, alot of it is wishful thinking (like the Britney Spears and Pokemon one), but the ones that are undenyable (Queen and Led Zepplin) shouldn't be allowed to do things like that.

But amusing now the least!
[post=290187]Quoted post[/post]​

Shouldn't be allowed to do something that may not exist, might not have been done intentionally, is only heard by people who want to hear it, and has no effect on those who do? Where's Tipper when you need her?

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora+Mar 12 2005, 06:15 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madame_zora &#064; Mar 12 2005, 06:15 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jonb@Mar 11 2005, 10:09 PM
[post=290219]Quoted post[/post]​

I worship you. really.
[post=290350]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Well, I do share one feature with Shiva. And Min. And Kokopelli. And probably a lot of other deities.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Okay, so I admit it- it&#39;s worship mixed with lust.

Jacinto- HOT new avatar&#33; Good grief, I didn&#39;t think you could outdo the last one, but geez&#33;
*fastens bib on herself to catch drool*

txquis

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
*New avatar alert&#33; New look for DMW. Nice&#33; :D
My friend, I wouldnt have known you.*

we now return you to our regularly scheduled thread.

hung_big: I must concur with Madame Zora...

DAYUM Jacinto...looking good&#33; *Joins in the drooling*

Jana, have any extra bibs?

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Aw, thanks&#33; :blush: I thought I should finally post an avatar that is more recent and is closer to how I look now. Presently, my hair is much shorter than it appears in the photo, but I still have the goatee.