Sugar Daddy vs. Boyfriend

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Fleur, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Fleur

Gold Member

So, my twin sis started dating a man who is very very wealthy. She did not know this until after a few weeks of dating him exclusively. She knew he did well for himself but didn't know he was a millionaire.

I started calling him Daddy Warbucks at all the things he was giving her (like a $50,000 check to take care of her finances like it was water)...she got upset with me. She told me he was just taking care of her within his means and he was her boyfriend.

Anyway, when dating, is financial security important? To what extent?

I would never date a guy just for his money but it is a powerful motivator for some women. Just like dick size is...to me, sucess is hot, not necessarily monetarily.

Would finding out your new boyfriend is loaded make you more attracted to him?

EDIT: He is relatively her age, she's 25 (like me) and he's 32.

#1 Fleur, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. D_Sparroe Spongecaques

In a word.....no.

My 2nd husband and his family are extremely wealthy but i wasnt interested in the cash....i paid for most of the things when we dated,we had a small inexpensive wedding and same with the rings.

When i left him i took my children and a few nappies/diapers and a change of clothes.....that's it!

3. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sugardaddy to me implies a type of "kept" relationship.

4. Fleur

Gold Member

Well, she's not kept, she does her own thing, is a graduate student but she doesn't have to worry about anything financially now I suppose.

5. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    Good LORD! $50,000? Well that takes the cake! I thought someone has tried to buy me, looks like some men take it ever further.

Personally I just want him to have a job and pay his bills. I can pay for myself. If he's rich ok, if he's poor ok. I just need him to be responsible for himself. We can work out the rest later if we are going to stay together.

6. Fleur

Gold Member

Well, she has a part-time job and is a student. The 50,000 had a reason. It was the sum of her rent for the next year (which is a lot in NYC), paying off her credit cards (not a whole lot) and an expense allowance. He wanted her to not worry about money.

Recently he just dropped $20,000 on some year membership at some private gym in NYC...she's planning on dragging me there. Anyway...I don't think he's buying her, but certainly pampering her within his means.

And their first few dates didn't let on to his money. She only went out to dinner with him and then they were exclusive. And a little while later he told her. So, she loves him for him.

#6 Fleur, Jul 1, 2010
  7. D_Yowton Y Yingyang

D_Yowton Y Yingyang Account Disabled

So, like, uh, who the fuck cares?

8. Fleur

Gold Member

Not saying everyone does. I asked a question while giving an extreme example, if to women (uh...not you) a man who is financially stable is important to them.

#8 Fleur, Jul 1, 2010
  9. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    Difference in people and lifestyles. I would want him to donate that money to a rescue organization while I take care of myself. That's just me. As long as shes happy with him, that is all that matters. Good for them:smile:

10. Fleur

Gold Member

Yeah exactly. I was okay with the first thing because it was pratical but the gym membership was crazy to me. They're doing it together though.

Either way, it got me thinking how important is financial stability when dating a guy. Not to that extreme of course.

11. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well like I said. I can pay my bills. He needs to pay his bills and show me he is responsible. Later on we can work out who pays for what and who makes whatever. I think in the beginning I just want to know he is financially responsible and secure. He doesn't have to be rich. I'm not rich, but I work my butt off so I have some nice things.

12. tiggerpoo

Gold Member

I gave my gf an investment portfolio of $2.3 million for her birthday a few years back. She's now grown that to over $5 million. And many other things: e.g. just bought her a new Lincoln Navigator last month. Sure I'm her sugar daddy - I'm 63 and she's 25. Best relationship I ever had. She's free to go her own way because she's now financially independent. We've been together 5 years now. She stays in the relationship out of choice.

13. sbat

sbat New Member

Money can't buy happiness...but the more you have, the harder you have to work to find things to be unhappy about

14. je1ani

je1ani New Member

birthday present - $2.3 million

another present - $50000 car

cool story bro

15. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Ha!

16. D_Wally Walnuts

D_Wally Walnuts New Member

but it's a good down payment. - Redd Foxx

17. Pitbull

Gold Member

Poverty buys nothing!

18. dolfette

Gold Member

you just don't know the right shops!

19. sbat

sbat New Member

Ha. Ya'll are quoting me out of context

20. EllieP

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I dated this great guy from Houston many years back. He was a true gentleman and a fun guy. He would drive all the way to Austin and we'd do some fun stuff. I guess the Land Rover should have given me a clue.

I went to spend the weekend with him in Houston and things changed drastically. We went to eat at the "Club" and meet his friends. To say that I was an outsider is an understatement. This is the same club that the Bushes belong to (GHW and GW) and they are close family friends. His family is quite moneyed and his lifestyle was so far removed from mine that I don't think I could ever get used to his and I know he would never understand mine. His family was wonderful, but they didn't understand certain things that I grew up knowing were the way things were.

The relationship died a natural death, and while it made me kind of sad I never hoped to try to get used to living like that. I couldn't keep a foot in both worlds. Live it up with him then come back down to earth with my family.

Draft saved Draft deleted