Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Terrible story. Sounds like it would be
An urban myth, but it's not. Rutger's
Student commits suicide after finding out
That his sexual encounter with another
Man has been webcast by his roommate.
Hope this story gets lots of media attention.
The only thing we can do is learn from
It.

accemb

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Saw this on television in this morning's newscast. Tragic indeed, and charges are being filed against the roommate. This poor young man was so upset that he felt his life was over. My heart goes out to the parents. It deserves all the media attention it's already gotten, and more.

I'm sure the roommate thought this would be 'funny'. Not so funny when he's sitting in jail.

Ohiospeedo

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Little bit of a coincidence. There was a poster with almost the same story on this forum posting about how he caught his roommate trying to record him and a guy on a webcam. I posted on the thread, and now the thread has disappeared.

Cybearia

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A thoughtless invasion of privacy and a real tragedy.

I suspect that his room-mate will, quite rightly, be made an example of in the courts.

A lot of personal imagery is shared on sites like this, with the tacit understanding that it will not be broadcast to a wider field, however we are aware that it may happen. For images to be taken clandestinely, from a person who was unwilling and vulnerable, is morally wrong.

simbasa12

Experimental Member
Media
Saw this on television in this morning's newscast. Tragic indeed, and charges are being filed against the roommate. This poor young man was so upset that he felt his life was over. My heart goes out to the parents. It deserves all the media attention it's already gotten, and more.

I'm sure the roommate thought this would be 'funny'. Not so funny when he's sitting in jail.
Before we get over excited here, as on the news website comments, we DO NOT have all the facts of this story. I saw comments that the 2 who cammed him should be thrown in jail with murder charges.

What other circumstances in his life caused him to feel this way about his sexuality? Or was this the last straw in his life full of bad luck? We don't know anything of what his life was like or his attitude. What about the people who watched him on cam besides the 2 charged? Should they be charged? What about society and it's attitude towards gay people? Should all of society be culpable as well for his suicide?

Don't go attacking me, as I am not condoning what the camming suspects did at all, but the politically correct comments I saw are superficial and ignorant of the real problems in society....And the media sensationalism feeds the ignorance more than it informs.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Cybearia

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Before we get over excited here, as on the news website comments, we DO NOT have all the facts of this story. I saw comments that the 2 who cammed him should be thrown in jail with murder charges.

What other circumstances in his life caused him to feel this way about his sexuality? Or was this the last straw in his life full of bad luck? We don't know anything of what his life was like or his attitude. What about the people who watched him on cam besides the 2 charged? Should they be charged? What about society and it's attitude towards gay people? Should all of society be culpable as well for his suicide?

Don't go attacking me, as I am not condoning what the camming suspects did at all, but the politically correct comments I saw are superficial and ignorant of the real problems in society....And the media sensationalism feeds the ignorance more than it informs.

Unless I'm missing something on this thread, I don't see any politcally correct comments, or superficial ones either, only statements on what has been reported or sympathy at the tragedy of the situation.

I feel you are conflating a number of issues in your reply and extrapolating to the point of absurdity when you ask if society is culpable for his suicide, but that is just my opinion and I respect your right to state yours :)

I agree totally that until the full facts are disclosed (if ever they are) it would be wrong to pass judgement on the people involved. That they invaded his privacy, without his consent, seems evident, but, as you say, sometimes the media can be less than factual in its accounts.

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Growing up gay is not easy. And, I'm
Sure for many teenagers,
Suicide is a very real answer
As a way to deal with the Pain of
Feeling not fully accepted in society.
I'll give benefit to the doubt that
His roommate was unaware of this
Tragic outcome. If he's truly remorseful,
(and not because he was caught) he
Should speak to high school and college
Groups to help prevent things like
This. Many of us want to keep our
Sexuality private (and it should be)
But there comes a time when things
Like this need to be discussed)
Between right wing Church groups
And left wing gay radicals...there
Has to be a happy median.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just heard a news cast last night something like this, they basically said "find out how much jail time 1 students might receive for filming a fellow student during a sexual encounter" they had not said anything about the student killing himself. This is indeed very sad. I didn't get to see the actual news broadcast on it I just heard that much before they went to comercial break and missed the news article. I can imagine if this caused the person to commit suicide then these individuals are in deep shit trouble.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It has everything to do with the fact that most young straight men use the term "gay" to mean various degrees of "bad" or "not good". "Society" has never been more accepting and homophobic at the same time. Most human beings are little fucking monsters anyway, this kind of bullying or hate crime (which is what it is) doesn't surprise me given the anger and spite towards liberals and progressives which has taken over the country. My heart goes out to the young man and his loved ones.

This is absolutely horrible and I am sooooo fucking sick of conservative America running the show that is called the U.S.A.

nolbaby

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
this is the type of story which frustrates me because of A) the obvious cruelty and tragedy and B) the fact that our legal system is just plain flawed in that there is no way to punish people for doing things that are extremely emotionally damaging to others. If you hit someone, you can be convicted of assault. If you shoot someone by pulling the trigger of a gun while pointing the gun at them, you can be convicted of murder. If you steal someone's credit card and use it to make purchases, you can be convicted of fraud. But, since there is no concrete proof of how much damage has been done to a person when they are picked on, humiliated, intimidated, or tormented, there is very seldom a worthy punishment for such acts, if any.
They can only prosecute the roommate for crimes he/she has committed. I haven't even clicked a link to read the story yet, but I would think that the only crime committed was... i dunno, something along the lines of "publishing footage of a person without proper consent", which probably carries a maximum sentence of 30 days in jail and a $10,000 fine or something.

Icantthinkofaname

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I read about this in the paper today. I only hope the perpetrators face many years rotting in jail for their callous actions.
They probably won't, nobody cares if a Queer teen commits suicide. Now I could see charges if this was some hetero jock from ~America's heartland~ but not this.

:\

Seriously, this is sickening, we're losing too many of our youth and nobody seems to be willing or they're unable to do a fucking thing about it. Little shits like Dharun Ravi aren't helping the problem either, why would you post a fucking video tape of your roommate making out all over the net? What kind of asshole does that?

Damn it, I'm so angry right now. I hope Tyler has found some kind of peace, this world totally didn't deserve him.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
This is sad indeed but there is no way that the two people responsible for broadcasting this could have known how he would react. I read somewhere that they could go to jail for up to 5 years for invasion of privacy-that seems fair. But if people are suggesting that they be charged with Murder, Manslaughter etc., then they need to take a step back and have a less emotional reaction to these things.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Little bit of a coincidence. There was a poster with almost the same story on this forum posting about how he caught his roommate trying to record him and a guy on a webcam. I posted on the thread, and now the thread has disappeared.

To clarify for others benefit I posted a reply in a thread about this topic. The forum where the student posted a question was JustUsBoys, not LPSG.

A terribly sad story and such a tragic end.

Chase1600

Experimental Member
Media

I feel you are conflating a number of issues in your reply and extrapolating to the point of absurdity when you ask if society is culpable for his suicide, but that is just my opinion and I respect your right to state yours :)

Wow, double WOW, I like your phrasing. Can’t wait for an excuse on any forum, any where, to plagiarize.

As to the issue. The situation for the roommate is terrible. He may or may not be responsible for provoking the actual situation that led to suicide – sounds as if he did – nevertheless, he twice committed an egregious act that is illegal where he did it. He filmed someone against their will and made it public. His comments are incriminating. He betrayed trust and respect for privacy.

He could never have imagined these consequences.