Suicide at Rutgers

LittleDicky

LPSG Legend
Media
Before we get over excited here, as on the news website comments, we DO NOT have all the facts of this story. I saw comments that the 2 who cammed him should be thrown in jail with murder charges.
Whether or not the two who recorded the act are culpable in the man's death remains to be seen.

However, I heard on the radio this AM that (1) recording someone in a sex act without their permission IS a criminal act, AS IS (2) distributing said recording to any mass media.

So, there are at least 2 separate charges pending. Whether or not their actions led to the young man's suicide, the two still broke the law -- and should be punished accordingly.

Chase1600

Experimental Member
Media
Was their any mention of who the
Second victim was? I hope he is doing
Okay. I can't begin to imagine how
Horrible he feels.

I’ve wondered the same. Although it has nothing to do with the guilt or shame of the roommate, and although these are obviously private things the public might never learn, I have a couple questions.

One, who is the other guy and whether the reaction of Tyler might have been in response to him? The other, it seems odd that such new freshman roomies would be asking for private room time so early in the semester? I wonder if the roomie and his girl had not been doing this and Tyler responded by demanding his time? It just seems odd to me and would be the sort of thing a kid just out of high school could do.

MichiganRico

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Tyler's death is tragic on so many levels. These guys were new freshmen roommates and given we're early in the semester, probably didn't know one another well. This is an example of youthful stupidity--not a hate crime. The surreptitious broadcast of Tyler and a male friend was an egregious invasion of privacy and far beyond the pale in moral terms to be sure, but how many times has this same type of thing happened with straight couples and particularly to naive girls who forwarded a "boyfriend" a nude pic.

Just as tragic as the lapse of moral judgment on the part of his roommate and the roommate's female accomplice, is that the embarrassment was exacerbated by our societal attitudes regarding homosexuality. (Were he streamed on the Internet having sex with a female, it would still be an intolerable breach of privacy, but would the incident have resulted in suicide?) So sad that Tyler only had a gay message board to turn to for advice. To be 19 and so isolated from family, friends, faculty and campus/community support services is almost as tragic as the suicide itself.

Yes, prosecute the perpetrators to the fullest extent of the law and file suit against them for wrongful death. But as long as it's considered acceptable conduct to verbally or physically gay bash and demonize and legally discriminate against gays, we can expect more tragic deaths.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
This is a terrible tragedy, and tragic as it is, it's the tip of the iceberg. How many similar tragedies occur every day that go unnoticed, underreported, under the radar. Approximately 5,000 15-24 year olds commit suicide every year in the US. 500,000 to 1 million attempt suicide every year, and of those it's estimated that disproportinately at least 30% are gay. As long as gay people are stigmatized and treated as pariahs at worst, and second class citizens at best, this will continue.

This is society's problem, and everyone is responsible for solving it - parents, teachers, school administrators, political and religious leaders, ordinary citizens - everyone. Anyone who stigmatizes gay people or feeds into prejudice, and anyone who stands tacitly by in the face of prejudice, is contributing to the environment for these tragedies to occur. If there can be a silver lining here, I hope this case may become a cause celebre -that like the Matthew Shepard case, it will grab the public's attention, be a call to action and a catalyst for a change in attitudes. May Tyler and these thousands of other sad souls rest in peace.

Many more stories are collected here: Youth Suicide Scroll down.

BadBoyCanada

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It has everything to do with the fact that most young straight men use the term "gay" to mean various degrees of "bad" or "not good". "Society" has never been more accepting and homophobic at the same time. Most human beings are little fucking monsters anyway, this kind of bullying or hate crime (which is what it is) doesn't surprise me given the anger and spite towards liberals and progressives which has taken over the country. My heart goes out to the young man and his loved ones.

This is absolutely horrible and I am sooooo fucking sick of conservative America running the show that is called the U.S.A.

I strongly suggest anger management classes. Your post gives the impression of a time bomb ready to explode. I truly am worried for you.

I'm not sure hate crime charges should be laid. Its a different world for the under 21 crowd. Sexting, camming, etc. is becoming so prevalent that they think nothing of it. I'm not even sure if gay sex is all that shocking to that demographic anymore.

Its a horrible situation. This didn't appear to be a case of prolonged bullying. I think the 2 perpetrators will be scarred for life, regardless of their punishment.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I start crying every time I try to read something about this boy. There has to be something other then this event going on here. I know it sounds like a horrible thing to do to someone but what circumstances would make this a reason to want to kill yourself. Was he bothered more by the fact that his audition only got him private lessons and not a position in the orchestra. Maybe his love interest told him he could not see him anymore. I have not read anything that says how Tyler found out about the web cam so did he even know about it, if he saw it, if his friend had a reaction. If his roommate tried to talk to him. Such a loss to us all. Tyler would have become someone well known to us for his talents and skills now only for tragedy. I can't imagine how many people are experiencing great loss by this troubling event.

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I hope they establish a music scholarship
In his name. Wouldn't it be nice to
Be remembered by something he truly
Loved, as opposed to something that
Sadly brought him to national fame.
If anything they should name any kind
Of legislation or program to further
Prevent such invasion of privacy after
The culprits who are responsible for
Causing this tragedy.

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I start crying every time I try to read something about this boy. There has to be something other then this event going on here. I know it sounds like a horrible thing to do to someone but what circumstances would make this a reason to want to kill yourself.

Maybe we grew up in different generations and certainly
Different social circles. But for me, when i was growing up
the very worst
Thing a person can be was gay. I basically loved
Life growing up, but I remember always
Wanting to die at an early age so that
Sexuality would never be an issue. Suicide
Was very much an issue starting from my teens.
I made a few failed attempts. I don't
Think I am suicidal but it's something
I would never rule out.

Last edited:

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I know that in California issues like this can be addressed in civil suits, and in that type of action, while there would be no jail time involved, monetary damages can be levied against a perpetrator. I think CA has at least two tort causes of action of this nature: "Negligent infliction of emotional distress", and "Intentional infliction of emotional distress". Whether suits can filed on these allegations alone, I don't know. Maybe they're just used as sort of sub-causes of action along with other more traditional torts.

Not sure how many other states, if any, have this though.

Tyler's parents might file a wrongful death civil suit, but it might be impossible to establish a legally sufficient connection between the acts of Ravi and Lei(?) and the suicide. In civil suits, though, there is a lower standard of proof than in criminal trials. "Preponderance of the evidence", rather than "beyond a reasonable doubt".

Where is TomCat84 to do the research when we need him?

...B) the fact that our legal system is just plain flawed in that there is no way to punish people for doing things that are extremely emotionally damaging to others. But, since there is no concrete proof of how much damage has been done to a person when they are picked on, humiliated, intimidated, or tormented, there is very seldom a worthy punishment for such acts, if any.

Last edited:

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
While I don't necessarily agree with tripod's view that this tragedy is linked to the political situation, your reaction is absurd.

There is nothing in his post that suggests that he needs "anger management classes" or that he's "a time bomb ready to explode".

Leave the diagnosing to qualified professionals and save your "worry" for someone who actually needs it.

Sounds like YOU may have issues.

Are you going to tell me now that I need anger management classes, or that I'm a time bomb waiting to explode?

Could it be that your response to his post is at least partially based on the fact that his avatar is a black man? (tripod is caucasian, incidentally) How does it feel to you to have my judgmental question thrown at you without the least bit of evidence?

I strongly suggest anger management classes. Your post gives the impression of a time bomb ready to explode. I truly am worried for you.

Last edited:

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm not sure hate crime charges should be laid. Its a different world for the under 21 crowd.
A hate crimes charge is still on the table according to the news reports. Showing your own body is one thing, but showing someone else's without permission is wrong.

The fact that it is common for under 21's doesn't make it right and a significant jail term would get that message out.

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I know that in California issues like this can be addressed in civil suits, and in that type of action, while there would be no jail time involved, monetary damages can be levied against a perpetrator. I think CA has at least two tort causes of action of this nature: "Negligent infliction of emotional distress", and "Intentional infliction of emotional distress". Whether suits can filed on these allegations alone, I don't know. Maybe they're just used as sort of sub-causes of action along with other more traditional torts.
The two were booked and those charges carry a maximum sentence of 5 years.

B_bxmuscle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Suicide, perhaps especially that of a young person with his/her whole life before them, is deeply disturbing. I, too, hope that those who outted him in this way suffer legal repercussions.

But am I the only one who thinks that this is "tragic" in classical sense of the word, that of someone being undone by their own fatal flaw? Othello was destroyed by his own jealousy and mistrust that his supposed friend Cassio manipulated against him; Hamlet by his endemic indecisiveness and refusal to act even when the moment for action is most opportune. Tragedy is about how our own weaknesses and flaws are our undoing, not about any event which is sad or painful. The tragedy here is internalized homophobia. And yes, homophobia is a powerful force. As is racism, sexism, etc. It's important to remember from this genuine tragedy that only when it is confronted and fought is its self-destructive potential defeated.

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I am not sure how this technology works.
But once the images are taken, is there
A chance that some one can save screen shots
So that potentially all this could haunt
The victim for years? If so, how could
Anyone survive that humiliation? Then
Again, I don't know how these two culprits
Can live with themselves knowing what they
Have caused.

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I briefly knew a guy in Birmingham that committed suicide by placing a hose from the car exhaust in side with the ignition on. Such a tragedy. He was a good-looking guy and may have been fighting his sexual identity. I'll never know.

Last edited:

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I hope the two pieces of shit (primarily the room mate) that broadcast the webcam get charged with hate crimes. They need to rot in a jail cell for many years...