Suicide at Rutgers

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I hope the two pieces of shit (primarily the room mate) that broadcast the webcam get charged with hate crimes. They need to rot in a jail cell for many years...

If Tyler had, instead, been a good girl from a good family and she'd reacted the same way, there'd be calls for the Death Penalty.

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
If Tyler had, instead, been a good girl from a good family and she'd reacted the same way, there'd be calls for the Death Penalty.

a very valid point. Its amazing to see the double standards for gay men vs gay women.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It was just broadcast on ABC evening news that this is the second suicide at Rutgers in a year involving harassment of gays. I think the outcome of this is going to be very interesting.
I never experienced any of this in high school or college but my other half did and we discussed his experiences in detail last night; it's such senseless stupidity. Each time they have shown this young mans face on the news today my eyes have filled with tears; I can't begin to imagine how grief stricken his family must be.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
It has everything to do with the fact that most young straight men use the term "gay" to mean various degrees of "bad" or "not good". "Society" has never been more accepting and homophobic at the same time. Most human beings are little fucking monsters anyway, this kind of bullying or hate crime (which is what it is) doesn't surprise me given the anger and spite towards liberals and progressives which has taken over the country. My heart goes out to the young man and his loved ones.

This is absolutely horrible and I am sooooo fucking sick of conservative America running the show that is called the U.S.A.

I have two barely adult boys - both straight. I heard the younger one use 'gay' as a derogatory term. I gave him all levels of hell - it is now something he will never say again. And if I hear anyone else using it like that in my presence - trust me, they will never do it again, at least not where I can hear it. It makes me sick and no human being should ever be reduced to a single word, especially when that one word leads to hatred.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have two barely adult boys - both straight. I heard the younger one use 'gay' as a derogatory term. I gave him all levels of hell - it is now something he will never say again. And if I hear anyone else using it like that in my presence - trust me, they will never do it again, at least not where I can hear it. It makes me sick and no human being should ever be reduced to a single word, especially when that one word leads to hatred.

I agree with you completely and I hold you in the highest esteem for the standards to which you are raising your children, but I just have to be the devils advocate with this argument... I was recently with my partner in a store and he tried on a frock (that I won't even try to describe here) and he asked me what I thought and I said... "You look so GAY in that." There was nothing hateful in my statement other than I did not want him to buy it. I think there is a difference when a gay person uses the word among friends than when it is used as a slur by stupid homophobic haoles.

fxc1100

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hope the two pieces of shit (primarily the room mate) that broadcast the webcam get charged with hate crimes. They need to rot in a jail cell for many years...

Hate crime? This is no where near a hate crime. Please remove all emotional bias when deciding on these two students fates.

I do however, believed they made a horrible mistake but shouldn't be charged with a hate crime. These were two kids who thought they would be funny and make fun of someone.

The bigger question is, now when stuff like this happens do we blame the final straw(in this case the roommates) or do we put the blame were in my opinion a lot of it should go, the community, friends family and finally the person who committed suicide? I may sound heartless but now a days to many kids commit suicide and we want to point the finger at someone, usually the last person to push them over the edge. Why not look at he parents, friends and community who should have been there for support for this kid when things got rough. Usually in cases like this, people tend to reach for help but go unanswered, they just don't kill themselves out of no where. I'm sure as things unfold we'll find out that he did reach out to a friend or someone but went unheard.

These kids shouldn't half their lives ended for being extremely stupid. No one could have known he would have reacted like this.

/rant

thebestest

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Little bit of a coincidence. There was a poster with almost the same story on this forum posting about how he caught his roommate trying to record him and a guy on a webcam. I posted on the thread, and now the thread has disappeared.

I think youre onto something. If you look at the CBS news report here:

New Details in Tyler Clementi Suicide - CBS News Video

The forums clearly look like the LPSG ones! Can anyone confirm this?

anglerect

Expert Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The two idiots who filmed and broadcast the poor freshman should have known a lot better!

Given the rampant youth suicide rate throughout the western world, it is not a far fetched idea that after being so badly violated and betryed a youngster would go and do something so hideous to himself .

This is a common and typical reaction among adolescents who go off their heads when so mortified, the dead young man who was clearly gay - his room mate knew that a male caller was visiting, therefore it should have been a lot more obvious that he was prone to be a bit sensitive and more prone to ridicule and severe shame.

It is amzing that one of the perpetrators was a woman , how can Rutgers admit such senseless idiots?! Clearly idiots are admitted to universities as they also pay fees, just as gay students and others who are bullied do.

I sincerely hope the Senate of the university kick these two nincompoops out. A State college in the bible belt is an ideal place for the scum to go languish.

anglerect

Expert Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hate crime? This is no where near a hate crime. Please remove all emotional bias when deciding on these two students fates.

I do however, believed they made a horrible mistake but shouldn't be charged with a hate crime. These were two kids who thought they would be funny and make fun of someone.

The bigger question is, now when stuff like this happens do we blame the final straw(in this case the roommates) or do we put the blame were in my opinion a lot of it should go, the community, friends family and finally the person who committed suicide? I may sound heartless but now a days to many kids commit suicide and we want to point the finger at someone, usually the last person to push them over the edge. Why not look at he parents, friends and community who should have been there for support for this kid when things got rough. Usually in cases like this, people tend to reach for help but go unanswered, they just don't kill themselves out of no where. I'm sure as things unfold we'll find out that he did reach out to a friend or someone but went unheard.

These kids shouldn't half their lives ended for being extremely stupid. No one could have known he would have reacted like this.

/rant
mmm they repeatedly filmed and haraassed the victim, once is funny, twice is enough and three times is cruel. more like bullying in my opinion. pair of dumb selfish fools, a less prestigious university is where they belong!

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
How would the two perpetrators feel if someone had cammed THEM having sex (together or with other people) and put it out for anyone to see?

How would YOU feel if someone had done this to you?

/rant

fxc1100

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
mmm they repeatedly filmed and haraassed the victim, once is funny, twice is enough and three times is cruel. more like bullying in my opinion. pair of dumb selfish fools, a less prestigious university is where they belong!

They filmed him only once. The second attempt the failed and they got caught by the victim. From what I've read the roommate never harassed the victim and infarct the victim even wrote a letter to his friend back home explaining how cool his roommate was and posted on another forum after the incident that his roommate is can be a dick time to time but is otherwise a decent roommate. I could be wrong but that's what I got when I Googled.

On Sept. 19, Mr. Ravi messaged his Twitter followers that he had gone to Ms. Wei’s dormitory room and activated a webcam in his own room, showing Mr. Clementi as he was “making out with a dude.” Prosecutors said the images were streamed live on the Internet.
On Sept. 21, the authorities said, Mr. Ravi tried to stream more video and invited friends to watch. But Mr. Clementi apparently discovered the camera and complained to school officials. The next day, he jumped from the George Washington Bridge.

How would the two perpetrators feel if someone had cammed THEM having sex (together or with other people) and put it out for anyone to see?

How would YOU feel if someone had done this to you?

I can tell you I would be offended to the point I would want to cause bodily harm to the people who pulled off that stunt. But then again, I can't exactly feel how mortified this kid was because he was leaving a double life and hadn't come out to anyone yet on his own terms.

rob_

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

I'd say they've already received their punishment.
The guilt that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives will be worse than any jail sentence you could give them.

About 8 years ago, my dad got into an accident. A woman was jaywalking in the winter. He saw her, but he couldn't avoid the collision because of the ice. The thoughts never go away. My dad still has a sort of fear of driving.

These two boys were responsible (to at least some degree) for another person's death. And that will haunt them forever.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This kind of thing has been going on for decades to countless gay boys and men who just see no place in society for themselves and decide that suicide is the only answer to all the hate and ostracism directed towards them. Thoughts of suicide crossed my mind after some brutal beatings by bullies as a kid. I suffered alone with quiet indignation as I couldn't tell anyone that I was gay. Those scars have healed but I haven't forgotten how hopeless and sad those days were.

This is the reason why us gay men MUST come out of the closet and become visible. Not just for the respect due for ourselves but as role models to younger gay guys showing them that YES, you can be gay and have a productive happy life despite all the hate. And yes there is a better place.

I am deeply saddened by these needless suicides at the hands of bullies.

Last edited:

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sorry, dude, respectfully disagree. If and when to come out are very personal decisions which should be left up to the judgment of the individual. No one MUST come out. In my less charitable moods, I refer to this type of statement as gay propaganda.

If someone sees another person in their environment who appears to be struggling because of or in coming to terms with being gay, then that individual, even if generally closeted, can still offer friendship and support to the person suffering. This is genuine PERSONAL support, not some role model at a distance. In my view, it is the acceptance of people near to us that makes a difference, and all gay men are free to support one another in our struggles.

This is the reason why us gay men MUST come out of the closet and become visible. Not just for the respect due for ourselves but as role models to younger gay guys showing them that YES, you can be gay and have a productive happy life despite all the hate. And yes there is a better place.

Last edited:

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think youre onto something. If you look at the CBS news report here:

New Details in Tyler Clementi Suicide - CBS News Video

The forums clearly look like the LPSG ones! Can anyone confirm this?

the website mentioned at Gawker is not LPSG, they are referring to a website they believe Tyler had posted to or assuming the post there were referring to this incident, I don't believe either to be true. If it was lpsg I am sure we would be made aware of it by now.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sorry, dude, respectfully disagree. If and when to come out are very personal decisions which should be left up to the judgment of the individual. No one MUST come out. In my less charitable moods, I refer to this type of statement as gay propaganda.

If someone sees another person in their environment who appears to be struggling because of or in coming to terms with being gay, then that individual, even if generally closeted, can still offer friendship and support to the person suffering. This is genuine PERSONAL support, not some role model at a distance. In my view, it is the acceptance of people near to us that makes a difference, and all gay men are free to support one another in our struggles.

Yes, coming out is a personal decision but bear in mind that the freedoms you enjoy now, and make it easier to live a viable relatively honest normal life as a gay man are attributed to the "gay propaganda" and the many many gay men who have come out and demanded for acceptance and equality.

Think of the big picture - when us gays are fully accepted into society there won't be gay youth out there thinking about killing themselves because they are homosexual.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Yes, coming out is a personal decision but bear in mind that the freedoms you enjoy now, and make it easier to live a viable relatively honest normal life as a gay man are attributed to the "gay propaganda" and the many many gay men who have come out and demanded for acceptance and equality.

Think of the big picture - when us gays are fully accepted into society there won't be gay youth out there thinking about killing themselves because they are homosexual.
QFT. > here <

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think, though, that it's fair to say that those who fought earlier on for rights and equality did so willingly. It was their personal choice.