Suicide of Marie Osmond's son

arkfarmbear

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I keep hoping and praying that Marie or someone else will finally call out the Mormon leaders. They must accept a major load of responsibility.
I don't know how she looks in the mirror. She has to accept some responsibility for his decision. So do each of her family members.
Instead it seems that the Mormons are using their power and influence to ensure their silence. If this isn't a current example of "selling your soul to the devil" I don't know what is.
I believe that many of today's religious leaders are culpable in countless suicides. If I had a dime for every person who told me they prayed thousands of times spanning decades "God, make me straight or kill me" I would be rich.
And, most are even more disheartened when God doesn't do either.
Long ago I stopped patronizing and minimalizing their grief with some old religious cliche. I just say "me, too".

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
ok....I wish you could change the title of this thread, lol.

I saw the title in the new thread box, and thought Marie Osmond had killed herself

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I keep hoping and praying that Marie or someone else will finally call out the Mormon leaders. They must accept a major load of responsibility.
I don't know how she looks in the mirror. She has to accept some responsibility for his decision.

Do you have real reason to think it had anything to do with the family's religion?
Your assumption makes sense, but beyond that ... do you have proof?
People commit suicide for many reasons.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Do you have real reason to think it had anything to do with the family's religion?

I wasn't sure that her son was even gay, but when I first heard of this story, that was my first presumption. As to Marie Osmond (or any of that clan), I'm sorry for what happened but am seriously not a fan.

'Nuf said.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I don't know how she looks in the mirror. She has to accept some responsibility for his decision...

Marie Osmond's 18 year old son, Michael Blosil, was living in Los Angeles and studying at The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising. He had a good rapport with his mother. He suffered from bouts of depression. Please tell me how his mother or Mormons were responsible for this tragedy.

Michael Blosil Suicide: Marie Osmond's Son Dies, Leaves Suicide Note

AlextheRedhead

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
My heart goes out to the Osmond family. It’s very sad for all involved.
From all accounts I have read so far I am not sure he was gay.
I grew up a gay Mormon here and I understand that being gay and the church doctrine are opposite. Remember this one thing and that is if he was gay the church would not teach anything postive for him.

Don’t ever let anyone make you feel you are not worthy of being loved!

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I remember reading recently that she had distanced herself from the Mormon church. Whatever I read was very brief, but the impression I was left with was that this had occurred prior to her son's suicide.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I understand that he was indeed gay and had trouble with it because of the family. When the family says he suffered from depression my thought was this was perhaps from the denial of who he was as a gay person. I also wondered if he was really depressed or was this a term used for someone that was unhappy. I can see a kid so upset he takes his life. Of course in being upset at the cause one can then say they were depressed. He might have been indeed depressed but this MAY not the reason in itself.

(side note) I personally don't care for this family. I have met Donny and I can't begin to tell you what I thought of this guy. One giant ass.

I feel for any family who has lost a loved one. Yet, I do indeed think this family has some responsibility in this manner. The "spin" that came out after this young man's death seemed very much not from a family in grief but from a family distancing themselves. The news stories went out of their way to preface that this was not Marie's son...but Marie's adopted son. Why would a family in mourning qualify the sons blood relationship except to send a signal that although we are upset we couldn't help the gene pool that drove him to it.

I hear that Marie really has been upset and I hope she or the family manages at some point to say something to her church leaders in a public venue about accepting people. This family is THE highest profile in that church...if they took a public stand it would get noticed.

I just think this is a sad situation. A young man dead. A mother in grief. A family so concerned with image all they can say is "We are troopers and the show must go on", and another religion that cares nothing for humanity....except in the nature of dominating it at any cause.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
The news stories went out of their way to preface that this was not Marie's son...but Marie's adopted son. Why would a family in mourning qualify the sons blood relationship except to send a signal that although we are upset we couldn't help the gene pool that drove him to it.

Are you sure the family did that? Or did the news sources mention that on their own initiative? An awful lot is known about that family and it would be extremely easy for a newspaper, say, to determine that.

I hear that Marie really has been upset and I hope she or the family manages at some point to say something to her church leaders in a public venue about accepting people. This family is THE highest profile in that church...if they took a public stand it would get noticed.

How do you know it had anything to do with the church? (I'm not denying it might have -- but I don't know. Do you? Seriously.)
By some reports, Michael Bryan (he had recently changed his family name from Blosil) was upset by poor grades and, interestingly, a recent visit from an ex-girlfriend.
He had a history of drug problems, and had attempted suicide before.
Sounds like a very complicated situation.

I just think this is a sad situation. A young man dead. A mother in grief. A family so concerned with image all they can say is "We are troopers and the show must go on", and another religion that cares nothing for humanity....except in the nature of dominating it at any cause.

Did they actually say that?
Or are they saying very little?
Like a decent family might well do, given the circumstances.
No intention of being harsh, CUBE, but I don't think we know very much about this.
Maybe we'll find you're entirely right in your hunches.
But that will happen, if it does, when we have more facts.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The news station stated over and over that day that this was released from the Osmond family. It's how I recall all this...it was played over and over again. I thought too that this could be the news reporting second hand information. When I was in Vegas Donny had just released a statement (article) about the show going on even though Marie is often in tears on stage and often he must beg her to go on. These were his words. It would also be my opinion that the grades, girlfriend, depression issues COULD also stem from the denial of being gay. Do I know for a fact the church is not tolerant towards gay issues? OK... You seem like you really like this family Hhuck. You certainly seem invested in defending them. I am sorry I have upset you. I never come here and want to upset anyone.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Marie Osmond's 18 year old son, Michael Blosil, was living in Los Angeles and studying at The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising. He had a good rapport with his mother. He suffered from bouts of depression. Please tell me how his mother or Mormons were responsible for this tragedy.

Michael Blosil Suicide: Marie Osmond's Son Dies, Leaves Suicide Note

I understand that he was indeed gay and had trouble with it because of the family...I can see a kid so upset he takes his life...I feel for any family who has lost a loved one. Yet, I do indeed think this family has some responsibility in this manner. The "spin" that came out after this young man's death seemed very much not from a family in grief but from a family distancing themselves. The news stories went out of their way to preface that this was not Marie's son...but Marie's adopted son...

That Michael Blosil was adopted was not media spin, but fact. The claims that he was gay and his former in-laws, the Osmonds, bore responsibility for his Feb. 26, 2010 death etc., are the type of unsubstantiated assertions that unscrupulous, yellow journalists make - in fact these assertions came straight from the National Enquirer.

Marie loved this son, just as she loved her lesbian daughter Jessica - where Marie made her feelings about Jessica known in May 2009:

Marie Osmond Supports Her Gay Daughter | People, Celebrities, Actresses & Profiles Of Gay, Lesbian & Bisexual Women In Movies, TV Shows & Music | AfterEllen.com

The rehashing of Feb. 2010's gutter press assertions are part of some Osmond smear campaign, eh?

Last edited:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Do I know for a fact the church is not tolerant towards gay issues? OK...
It's well known that the Mormon church is not very accepting of homosexuality.
I know an older Mormon couple, both of whose gay sons died of Aids.
They were sure both sons were going to hell.
It's very plausible that Marie Osmond's son was having a difficult time with his sexuality because of a perception that the church, and perhaps his family, were rejecting him.
I have no idea.
I was asking you if you had any real idea, and any evidence.
That's all.

You seem like you really like this family Hhuck. You certainly seem invested in defending them.
I don't particularly like them (don't dislike them either), and I have no investment in defending them.
But I sensed a rush to judgment ... not particularly on your part, CUBE, but in the air generally.
When I did spend two minutes researching, I found nothing to support the idea that the boy was other than close to his mother.
However, he was apparently estranged from his father.
Perhaps sexuality was an issue there ... I don't know.

I am sorry I have upset you. I never come here and want to upset anyone.
You haven't upset me.
I hope I haven't upset you.

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm pretty sure that Marie Osmond has a lesbian daughter and has been very accepting of her in the press. I could be wrong.