Suicide

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
My headaches are now well managed, but if I had not found the right doctor after 12 years of hell, I probably would not be alive today,...
I'm glad, DC, that you've found that solution. Congrats!

And I suspect that I speak for the crowd when I say that we're all feeing particularly happy that we have your insight and voice here with us. :)

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
steve319 said:
I'm glad, DC, that you've found that solution. Congrats!

And I suspect that I speak for the crowd when I say that we're all feeing particularly happy that we have your insight and voice here with us. :)
Thanks, Steve. I really just wanted to point out that it is all too often too easy making quick judgements about some situations. Threatening suicide just to get attention, or to get back that "other half" who walked out, well, that's just silly. Living with debilitating chronic pain is another story entirely. Being casually dismissed by others, especially including doctors, can be frustrating and infuriating. Those with a sincere desire to end their lives are usually, but not always, motivated by mental illness. And mental illness takes many forms, is terribly misunderstood, and can be brought on by something as seemingly simple as a hormonal imbalance. Pregnancy, menstruation, diabetes, thyroid or pituitary dysfunction, all kinds of things can throw the hormones out of balance - and hormones are some of the most potent and brain-function altering substances. Imagine that one time you had a hellish day at work, then snarled at a friend or loved one, only to regret it seconds later... now imagine your brain playing those tricks on you over a period of months or years...

Walking a mile in another pair of moccasins can always put things into perspective.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DC, I am truly glad you stuck it out until you found a solution that worked. I too have had a chronic pain issue that wasn't resolved until my mid thirties. My umpteenth doctor also couldn't find the source of the problem, but he came up with a creative and effective way to manage and all but eliminate the symptoms, which has literally changed my life. I often wonder if I would have self-medicated to the extent I did when I was younger had I not had this issue.

The thing is, if ever someone I am close to wants to discuss a real life issue they are enduring, I am usually open for that. What I resent is someone I barely know "dumping" on me and trying to make me responsible for whether or not they choose to end their life, when really I have no ability to cure their issues anyway. Had you told me about your migranes, I couildn't have offered a realistic solution. I would have had to say, "I hope you find a way through it, but if you feel you must end your life, I have to choice but to accept that." Still, I'm happy that you didn't because I like having you around.

When someone is "suicidal" over relationship issues, it literally turns my stomach. I am just the wrong person to talk to about some shite like that.

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
madame_zora said:
When someone is "suicidal" over relationship issues, it literally turns my stomach. I am just the wrong person to talk to about some shite like that.

Well, I do understand why people become suicidal in very serious relationships, for instance: marriages, offspring-parents, etc. In relationships, one can become very dependent - financially, emotionally, and spiritually - upon the other and when that significant other does something to terminate the relationship, it can take a drastic toil upon one's wellbeing. This may be an infrequent consequence of a terminated relationship; but, is very possible nonetheless.

Furthermore, teenagers (and adults), quite obviously, do become suicidal. Yet, it is the ones who proclaim to be suicidal because their boyfriend or girlfriend, of an inconsequential period of time, ended the relationship, that incite my suspicion.

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dear Paul,

Your quote " If you want to kill yourself, you kill yourself " can be taken two ways.
It could be taken as "If you really want to kill yourself, you will kill yourself."
Or, "If you want to kill yourself, go ahead and do it."

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This is a true story.

Many years ago, I broke up with my partner of 3 years. He called me on the phone to tell me that he was going to kill himself. He told me that he had tried to buy a gun but, he was shaking so badly trying to fill out the paperwork that the store clerk refused to sell the gun to him.
Then he broke into his sister's house because he remembered that her husband had a gun. He drank an entire bottle of whiskey to get up the nerve to shoot himself. Of course, he became extremely drunk.
For a long time, I talked with him until suddenly, I heard a loud crash. As it turned out, my 6' 5" ex passed out, fell over, and smacked his head on the corner of the coffee table.
When his sister came home, she revived him, sobered him up and I'm happy to report that he's still alive today.
Whew!

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have had three people whom I knew kill themselves. One was very close. I found her body. I am still, after a decade, nowhere near “over it.” I have known 4 others who attempted it and failed. During my teen years a very close family member was extremely suicidal. Sure, it could only be a way to get attention, but how desperate do you have to be to seek attention in that manner?

The argument “they only hurt themselves” or “only they can decide what is right for them” is the biggest load of bullshit I have come across. Attend a funeral where somebody has ended their life and then tell me how little it affects others. Suicide to end suffering is one thing (I am really torn on this point) but suicide because somebody feels that they cannot take life in general? About the most selfish act that anybody could commit.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
dolf250 said:
Suicide to end suffering is one thing (I am really torn on this point) but suicide because somebody feels that they cannot take life in general? About the most selfish act that anybody could commit.
Wow, dolf, sorry you have had such an unusual proportion of that sort of thing in your life.

I think you (somewhat) paraphrased some of my comments in an earlier post... being "suicidal" over a failed relationship just doesn't make any sense to me at all. Although I am not a big fan of losing people I love, I can understand how someone with a terminal disease can think "hmm, do I want to wake up every day, take massive doses of morphine just to bring the pain down to barely tolerable.. or do I just end it now?" There are some cases where it is understandable, some where it is just plain silly. And you are correct, suicide DOES have a deep and permanent on those close to the person who commits it.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Those are the shoes im walking, and where I was coming from.

Im in the same boat. Lots of Dr's, nobody knows, but everybodys got a pill to cure everything, except for the horrid side effects.
Its good that some people can find their way.
We just had another one jump the bridge last week. She missed the water, hit the gravel.
Tis the season.

It really is amazing how powerful the brain can be, to make or break a man/woman.
C

DC_DEEP said:
Thanks, Steve. I really just wanted to point out that it is all too often too easy making quick judgements about some situations. ... now imagine your brain playing those tricks on you over a period of months or years...

Walking a mile in another pair of moccasins can always put things into perspective.