Suicide

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by THEEman, Jan 23, 2008.

1. THEEman

THEEman New Member

Valid? or a pussy's way out?

and what do you make of someone who always threatens with suicide but never makes an attempt, let alone hurt themselves?

EDIT- by the way not about me so you don't have to worry haha

2. texas41-38

texas41-38 Member

Oh. You have met my Mother.

3. Osiris

Gold Member

Usually the person who talks about it all the time, but never does it is just seeking attention. That doesn't mean you dismiss it however.

Usually the true suicidal person won't broadcast it. They may do little things (parting with treasured possessions, withdraw from a usually social life, etc.) and when they have "finished the business" of shedding the last vestiges of their lives, the commit suicide.

Do I think it is a coward's way out? Depends on the circumstances. If a terminally ill patient wants to die by their own hand is that cowardice to want to save you loved ones months of watching you die painlessly? I don't think so. There are really big reasons a person may consider suicide and stupid petty ones. It is all going to depend on the situation at hand and what that person contemplating the suicide feels they are accomplishing.

The only thing I can say is that other than Dr. Kevorkian's assisted suicides, suicide tends to be a very selfish act. The irony is it is the living who find it selfish because the person who did it probably was unaware of who truly loved and missed them and in their grief, believed they were doing the world a favor by leaving life.

4. Principessa

Gold Member

Whoa, strong words! :confused: For the person committing suicide it is 110% valid and the only available choice. They honestly do not see another option. :frown1:

The people that threaten it or talk about it with out ever making an attempt are what I like to call dramacidal. :biggrin1: That doesn't mean they aren't in dire need of mental health treatment. It's just their way of making a 'cry for help'. :redface:

5. THEEman

THEEman New Member

I tend to agree with you I know a friend/relative who keeps doing this and it gets well rather scary. but we are most concerned with is obviously is this real or just an excuse to face his real problems?

6. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    The Wikipedia article on suicide sheds light on the different "types" of suicide and the various motivations that spark these.

An interesting read that I think will give you many answers.

7. bottombuddy

bottombuddy Member

in my limited experience.......suicide is normally a cry for help that has failed.

i always make myself available for a loved one if they are depressed and need someone to listen and more so if they are so low they wish to end it all......i believe that showing someone you love and care for them enough will help them crawl out their depth of thought and see the world a brighter place......always support someone who feels this way folks.

8. Principessa

Gold Member

The correct term for what I call dramacidal is actually parasuicidal you should google the term there is a lot of information.

9. D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat Account Disabled

Albert Camus sums up my thoughts on this in his book Le mythe de Sisyphe. Don't know what it's called in English. Just on opening it, one line I've underlined reads: "Ce tuer, c'est... Avouer qu'on est dépassé par la vie ou qu'on ne la comprend pas."

Means something along the lines of "Suicide is... Admitting that life has surpassed us or that we don't understand it." His thoughts about overcoming our problems are also rather interesting to read.

10. THEEman

THEEman New Member

I am really worried to categorize him like that though what if he does something irrational?

I am sure they are examples of suicidal threats that ultimatley come true?

11. midlifebear

Gold Member

Having helped as many close friends as I have who were ravaged by AIDS-related complications that left them in unbearable and incurable pain -- or even worse, being lucid enough to realize their mental faculties were declining so quickly that they would end up in a prolonged vegetative state, I'm quite certain the emotionally/politically charged word, suicide, should be changed to Death With Dignity.

This thread brings up yet another reason I live as an expatriate in countries where, despite those particular countries' many other ludicrous problems, one of them is not creating laws making death with dignity an illegal offense. I'm just waiting for the day when it's illegal not to be born genetically perfect in the USA with skin, hair, and eye color within the "legally acceptable" parameters.

Hell, if one has a legitimate need to check out of this existence one should be able to do so painlessly without suffering.

"Well, Sheriff, it looks like this guy killed himself. Now we're gonna have to arrest him and charge him with a felony."

12. Principessa

Gold Member

Unless terminally ill, (to the best of my knowledge) people who commit suicide always suffer from depression or some other form of mental illness. The best thing you can do for your friend is to get him to a therapist asap.

13. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

everyone that i've known that has commited suicide never told anyone prior to doing it. It came as a complete shock to our family. The person was either hinging on mentally unstable at the time or went through an extremely traumatic event. While all suicide threats should be taken seriously, i find those who actually bite the bullet do not want anyone to stop them, thus they keep their thoughts private about it.

Those who threaten it constantly just want attention and need a psychological evaluation.

14. lonestar692000

lonestar692000 New Member

Albums:
    Two Words: Psych Hospital. I practiced Psych for a couple of years at the beginning of my career (RN) very interesting and very real for the ones who feel this way.

15. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I generally believe it's a pussy way out... "permanent solution to a temporary problem"... but at the same time, I know that people who are contemplating suicide see it as being completely valid.

People who threaten suicide but don't attempt it are just looking for attention. There's obviously something they crave and need, but they aren't getting... so they figure if they threaten death, then someone will give them what they want/need.

*Edit* - Most of the time, when people threaten suicide to get attention, they don't necessarily REALIZE why they are doing it... most people don't plan it in advance, or say to themselves that they are going to threaten suicide to get attention. Often times, they just feel worthless so they just presume that they'd be better off dead... but when they say that out loud to someone, then the person says what they want to hear - "Don't do that, you're worth too much, I love you, blah blah blah, etc etc etc"... and then they don't attempt it. Does that make sense?

16. mind7

mind7 New Member

Way to complex to put into two buckets. My cousin and I were very close and ten years ago he decided he needed to take his own life. Nobody saw it coming, Mother, Father, Step-Father, brothers, sisters, extended family, friends, nobody.

As already stated, the people who do this have their reasons and if they are serious you never see it coming. There may be signs of depression but this usually doesn't generate enough attention to commit them to a ward for evaluation.

Then on the other side of things you have honor suicides. I am not really familiar with them but it was a common practice that if you betrayed your family, left them in ruin, you took your own life to salvage your honor.

POW who knew what was left for them rotting in those prisons, knowing that there really wasn't a way out. Killing themselves is the best course of action in that state of mind. It is easy to say, "Hold in there", "They could get out" and what not is easy to say. I've never been in a POW camp and hope to never find myself in one.

17. gjorg

Gold Member

Love the new Real Avatar!
    People who survive suicide have a common thought......Wow all of my problems are not so bad that they can't be fixed!!!!

18. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

I hate that suicide is referred to as the easy/selfish way out.

Obviously someone who is that depressed t take their own life isnt thinking in the right frame of mind. And from what i can gather they see themselves as a hindrance to the ones they love so possibly they think they are doing the people around them a favour.

Remember this is a person who isnt in a sane frame of mind.

But i really feel sorry for these people. When you think at the torment that must be going on in their lives and in their own minds. Yet usually they dont want to complain about it so the problem weighs down n them so much that they go to this extreme, rather then cry out for help.

And yes it is usually the ones who say they will that dont, but if it was a friend or family member of mine i wouldnt like to leave it to chance. The fact that they are already unhappy enough to say such things shows there is problem and they need help

19. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Anyone to even talk about doing this must be in a very dark space. My heart goes out to them.

20. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Wine is fine, but whiskey is quicker....

Draft saved Draft deleted