Suitemate smells sooo bad...

fak_et

Experimental Member
Media
I thought i could posat this up here because it is a men's issue. We are having a problem with our suitemate. 2 of us share a bathroom with two others. I thought maybe at the beginning of the year it was just me smelling him so i kept it to myself but my rooamte started really complaining about it as well. Also, when other people use our bathroom they are like "WHAT IS THAT SMELL?" if he has been in there within the past half hour.

It seems that if he just walks into the bathroom it will smell bad for 10 mins.. if he takes a shower it is hell. Ive had to use other people's bathrooms at times when it was unbearable.

His old roomate who moved out told us that he said quote I only take a shower when i can smell myself endquote.

I am wondering what could possibly be the cause of this. Ive never experienced anything like it. We aren't just talking b.o. smell here which i could live with, this is full out the worst smell ever.

I don't want to be mean about it and make him feel bad but its out of hand.

thank god schools almost over.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Talk to your RA.

When I was in college, we had a guy on my hall who never bathed. We finally found out it was because he was so overweight he couldn't fit into our hall's shower stall. (True! Sad but true! He weighed more than 400 lbs.)

Our RA encouraged him to use the gym showers. He lost enough weight walking back and forth to the gym every day that he was able to fit into the hall shower stall the next semester. (And the bad smell was gone. He's now a chemistry professor at a not-so-selective university.)

NCbear (who loves happy endings :biggrin1: )

gargant1978

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
*gulp* Too bad. I can't even stand the slightest BO as my nose is very sensitive. Why don't you and your other roommates confront him about this issue in a playful manner. But I don't know how close you guys are to him. The closest person to him in your apartment is the best one to approach him on this. There are two possible solutions:

(1) Ask him to spray some air refreshner everytime he uses the bathroom. But you guys have to do the same so it won't be obvious, minimizing the sense of discrimination (cause he'll think he's the only one who needs to spray). Say, it's like a new policy in your apartment. When I used to have a roommate, each of us sprayed air refreshner after using the bathroom.

(2) This is the most radical one and the most discriminative one. Have him uses his own bathroom and you and the other roommates have to share another one (I assume there's more than one bathroom since you said you had to use other people's bathroom when the stench was unbearable). But doing this will cause a fight between you guys and him. At the very least, he'll move out and won't talk to you guys. At the very worst, he won't listen to you guys and will cause more troubles other than his stench to show his ego (trying to challenge you to get on your nerve).

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I would definitely say something to him. That's just gross. I had to do that once with a boyfriend of mine. It wasn't because of lack of shower on his part, but he wasn't using an antibacterial soap, so no bacteria was being killed. His armpits were pretty nasty smelling. Just be nice about it. I mean, the worst he can do is say he won't shower more often. He may not realize it's a problem.

gargant1978

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Talk to your RA.

When I was in college, we had a guy on my hall who never bathed. We finally found out it was because he was so overweight he couldn't fit into our hall's shower stall. (True! Sad but true! He weighed more than 400 lbs.)

Our RA encouraged him to use the gym showers. He lost enough weight walking back and forth to the gym every day that he was able to fit into the hall shower stall the next semester. (And the bad smell was gone. He's now a chemistry professor at a not-so-selective university.)

NCbear (who loves happy endings :biggrin1: )

Hmm, I never lived in a dorm before so I never know if it's possible to bring this up to the RA. But this is another possible solution.

gargant1978

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I knew a lady who's breath was so bad she could take a whole room down with her mouth:tongue:

Dang, a listerine won't be enough! She needs a clorox for a mouthwash! :biggrin1: I wonder why some people are so subconscious when it comes to their stench. Can't they tell from other people's gesture?