Summer Holidays

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, May 16, 2004.

1. Imported

Gold Member

Javierdude22: A breezy topic,

Whatcha gonna do this summer? Exotic destinations, backpacking, or necessities such as work, or school?

My summer will be packed by writing my thesis. But theres always time for a holiday so a couple of friends and I rented a camper and are gonna hit the Rocky Mountains this year.

What are your plans?

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

In the U.S., at least, the official beginning of summer holidays is Memorial Day weekend.

I'll start it out with a bang that weekend by making a 4-hour drive to Charlotte, NC, with my older son and a brother-in-law to watch the 600-mile NASCAR race at Lowe's Motor Speedway. At least one of the drivers there is also participating in the Indy 500 on the same day and will fly in to Charlotte in time to run the 600.

It's a great weekend, culminating an exciting week of racing-themed fun in the Charlotte area.

This summer there will also be a couple of weekends spent at the family lodge in the Virginia mountains and maybe a week-or-so in a cottage on the Chesapeake Bay, also in Virginia, or at Nags Head, NC.

I've also made plans to have new swingsets and sandboxes constructed in my backyard for my 7 grandkids. We eat on the patio obsessively in the summertime and nothing goes with the good outdoor taste of food like the laughter of children.

Bon Ete!

(Hope I got that right - apologies to Radu if I didn't!) B)

Pecker

3. mindseye

Gold Member

Virginia Tech held its spring commencement yesterday, so as of this morning I'm free!

I've got a grant report due on June 1, and a meeting with my department head this Friday, but apart from that, I've got the next six weeks off. (Yay!) I've made plans to go whitewater rafting later this month with some friends from college, and I'd like to complete another chapter on the book I'm working on. In early June, I'll be in NYC for a couple of days, after which I'll probably be broke. Heh.

4. KinkGuy

Gold Member

We're going to spend a week whoring our way through London, then on to Amsterdam for some really serious slutting around! 5th trip, so we are really figuring out where the great hangers are! ;) :D :blink:

5. Dr. Bubbles

Dr. Bubbles New Member

We've recently completed commencement as well. I will be working this summer though (I am in administration). :(

This summer... hmmm... I will be teaching a course for Summer Session I. The class meets on Mondays and Wednesdays. Additionally, I am working on a Training Module as well as configuring data and information for a book I will begin working on in the fall (Cultural Genocide: The Impact on American Indian Education).

In July, I will be traveling to Edmonton, Canada to do some consulting work with the aluets in the area. I will also be in Montana and South Dakota.

I am chaperoning a group of teens (church) on a retreat. There are about 35 teens who will be going. We are going to Cherokee, NC for several days... white water rafting, shopping :D, watch the drama, "Until These Hills," and several other programs. It should be fun.

Then, school starts back in August! I will be visiting the Grand Opening of the American Indian Museum (Smithsonian) in September. My next vacation will not be until Decemeber when I go back to Aruba (I bought a house there in 2002).

6. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

I'm probably going to cash in my vacation time and go down to Florida for a week. I probably also will concentrate on my project for fall classes.

7. B_Carolina

B_Carolina New Member

Cool beans BBlumbee, you'll be right near me. I live in WNC (Asheville) and plan on just sorta chillin and working this summer. I just graduated college too, so bonus!

8. Dr. Bubbles

Dr. Bubbles New Member

Congratulations, Carolina! Are there any other sites to see in that area? I have been there several times and would LOVE to visit some other sites. Recommendations?

bb

9. Charles88

Charles88 New Member

I am going to the Grenadines, which are the southern islands of the caribbean, for 3 weeks of the summer. Then I will spend the rest of my time at the beach in NC relaxing, doing shit with friends and other stuff.

10. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

My summer vacation is not going to be the least bit exciting. I've got about 20 lbs to lose, the result of my being bed-ridden for so long following the wreck. I'm also undergoing physical therapy so I can walk properly again. There's apparently some talk around the school where I'll be working that the new freshman English teacher is a 'Spic' (the people around here immediately assume that Spanish surname = Mexican); let's not have it turn into 'gimp Spic'. :huh:

11. jonb

Gold Member

Well, if you wanted them to think Spanish surname = Cuban you should've lived in Florida. But then again, no one in Florida is under 50, so you couldn't be an educator.

12. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Main stuff this summer will be a two week rafting trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.

SG

Draft saved Draft deleted