SuperBowl Commercials

AAALady

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
tis what the market will bear. ya don't like it, don't buy their products to give 'em the money to do it.

price rocked (sorry lex)
comb over was hilarious, especially with the cut off jeans
rock paper scissors, easy gag but worth a chuckle
doritos "amateur" was worth the money they didn't pay some high priced ad company
speakin' of ad companies, was there ANY actual "new" idea put forth or was everything pretty much an old gag rehashed?
they're the lamest
I thought the "At 3 o'clock, when your blood sugar drops, Robert Goulet comes in and messes up your stuff" was original. Made me guffaw.

drumstyck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
im very surprised that there hasnt been any uproar about Prince's phallic shadow performance...i mean cmon, the big curtain goes up, Prince's silhouette is projected against the screen, and he started guitar-humping, with a huge pointed erection angled from his waist? and no one has said anything? i mean, i personally wasnt offended, but im surprised that no one from the religious right or some crazy senator or something hasnt brought it up

as far as the commercials, i loved the "bud light slap" one...the rock-paper-scissors was ok...

the Robert Goulet one was right on that razor's edge of brilliance and insanity...sometimes you get a commercial that's so random that its amazing, and other times you feel that they were just trying too hard to be random & they failed...Goulet is sorta balancing in my mind :)

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
Sorry babe -- Prince was genius. I can't remember a better and REALER superbowl performance.
I have to agree here - much more entertaining/involving than any other halftime show in memory. I watched the game with some friends in the recording industry, and it was immediately noted that Billy Joel chickened out and had a vocal processor engaged - but we all determined that while Prince might have had backing tracks, the guitar was certainly live.

im very surprised that there hasnt been any uproar about Prince's phallic shadow performance...i mean cmon, the big curtain goes up, Prince's silhouette is projected against the screen, and he started guitar-humping, with a huge pointed erection angled from his waist? and no one has said anything?
Speaking of guitars - no doubt man! Who would have thought the shape of His Shortness' signature axe (which he's been playing for what - 15+ years now?) would have fit into such a subtle context of making fun of the wardrobe malfunction incident? In front of the whole fucking country? That and the guitar realism are only more points towards Princes' cred, IMO.

Disappointing game for us Bear fans (what else is new in Chicago :rolleyes: ), and the hype over Superbowl commercials makes me not want to pay any more attention to them than necessary - but as mentioned in another thread, the jockstrap show this year was gourmet (the rain helped too) :biggrin1:

Final thought: this was Grossmans' first Superbowl in all of maybe three seasons of play. Manning has been playing 9 seasons and this is his first as well. Grossman will learn from his mistakes. The Bear defense will realize their turnover mistakes too.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is American 'Football' so boring that the highlight of your 'premier' event are the adverts???? :confused: I saw a couple of minutes of it and I think I'll stick with the English version!!:tongue:

My sentiments exactly.

I guess that's a difference in concepts, typical European sports, such as soccer (your Football) are played and watched because of the game, while the major American Football events are more show spectacles than sports events. The game itself isn't boring, I'd say it's more exciting than soccer, but you're right, the enduring commercials make it a background happening to the sponsors presenting themselves.

ruffboy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My sentiments exactly.

I guess that's a difference in concepts, typical European sports, such as soccer (your Football) are played and watched because of the game, while the major American Football events are more show spectacles than sports events. The game itself isn't boring, I'd say it's more exciting than soccer, but you're right, the enduring commercials make it a background happening to the sponsors presenting themselves.

huh. and all along i thought european sports are more about the routine massive riots wherein people are killed "because of the game".

at least they're sophisticated!

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
huh. and all along i thought european sports are more about the routine massive riots wherein people are killed "because of the game".

at least they're sophisticated!

What was this thing with NBA players attacking the fans, and fans attacking the players? Okay, nobody got killed or maimed in that accident, but for the larger part of it, the fans aren't so fanatic that they go for each other's scalps.

A European (German) immigrant I know says that the major american sports events are exploited to a greater extent than european sports by commercials and show acts. However, since he knows both sides better than me, he also said that Americans seem to prefer sports with matches that can be broken down into shorter blocks of several minutes, whereas Europeans seem to favorize sports that are played in longer blocks. Don't ask me why.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I loved the Snickers one but now they went and took it off the air - damn homophobes!
Sadly it wasn;t the homophobes but rtather the queers who got the plug pulled on this one--

This is from the San Diego Union Tribune

Snickers ad pulled after complaints from gay groups
12:58 p.m. February 6, 2007

HACKETTSTOWN, N.J. – A commercial for Snickers candy bars launched in the Super Bowl broadcast was benched after its maker got complaints that it was homophobic.
The ad showed two auto mechanics accidentally kissing while eating the same candy bar and then ripping out some chest hair to do something “manly.” One of the alternate endings on the Snickers Web site showed the men attacking each other.
The Human Rights Campaign and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation complained to the maker of Snickers, Hackettstown-based Masterfoods USA, a division of Mars Inc., which also makes M&M's and other candies.
The Web site also featured video of players from the Super Bowl teams reacting to the kiss.
“This type of jeering from professional sports figures at the sight of two men kissing fuels the kind of anti-gay bullying hat haunts countless gay and lesbian school children on playgrounds all across the country,” Human Rights Campaign president Joe Solmonese said in a statement.
GLAAD spokesman Marc McCarthy said Tuesday the group believed “this kind of prejudice was inexcusable.”
Masterfoods spokeswoman Alice Nathanson issued a statement in which she said the company would stop running the ad on television and the Web site.
“As with all of our Snickers advertising, our goal was to capture the attention of our core Snickers consumer,” Nathanson wrote.
“Feedback from our target consumers has been positive. In addition, many media and website commentators of this year's Super Bowl commercial line-up ranked the commercial among this year's top ten best. USA Today ranked it {PI:EF}9 of its top ten picks,” she continued.
“We know that humor is highly subjective and understand that some people may have found the ad offensive. Clearly that was not our intent,” she wrote. Masterfoods brands include Uncle Ben's rice, Pedigree dog food and Whiskas cat food. It is part of Mars Inc., a family-owned company