Superman Returns

Jeffin90620

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Pecker said:
I wonder if Superman's shit stinks?
If his stomach is a fusion reactor (as depicted in the comic book a few years back), then he probably doesn't have shit.

(and, yes... I know the question was more metaphorical than physical) :wink:

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I was expecting to really hate it but instead loved it. I thought it was flawed, yeah, (I'd like to have seen a from-scratch version rather than a sequel), but I really did enjoy it immensely.

Remember that moment when (SPOILER) he landed the plane in the ball field and the crowd looked stunned for a few seconds then jumped to its feet and went wild? That's how I felt. I didn't realize how much I'd missed him while he was gone, you know?

And I wasn't alone. Several in the theater cheered aloud at that point---how often do we get to see that happen?

As for the character being "boring" or having unclear motivation, I disagree. I think it is refreshing (and inspiring, to be honest) to have a character who acts for altruistic reasons. What's so unbelievable about someone doing what's "right" just because it is the right thing to do? Especially when it is organic and true to the character, given his heartland upbringing?

A character doesn't always have to be overcoming a horrifying childhood or lifelong mistreatment for me to identify and be inspired. (Though I love those characters too, as long as they aren't too predictable. While I'm sure the film will be great, I was annoyed by the Spider-Man 3 trailer and the way the story will be focusing on the "how long can a man fight the darkness without it getting inside him" thing. Hero corrupted? Done to DEATH, I think...)

Plus, I really enjoyed all the Father/Son/Savior stuff that was made so clear in the film. Some may cry "sacrelige" (I work with someone who has), but I thought it was an enjoyable element that isn't always brought out (or done well) with the Superman stories. Nice to see that part of the mythology acknowledged. (But then I'm a sucker for a good Christ allegory...or Gilgamesh if you prefer)

So, yeah, I didn't like Spacey's overcooked Hackman impression (or the choice of Lex as the adversary in the story), and I thought the final crisis was too drawn out and predictable, but I was very pleased overall.

Worth seeing, I'd say.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Mkymkus said:
I love Routh saying this film finally proves Superman is not gay. Unbelievable. Kissing, marrying, fathering a child, loving a woman--what exactly is it that proves you are not gay?

You gave away one of the plot twists in the movie. That's pretty messed up for those who hadn't seen the movie. :rolleyes: Hehehe.

I already knew that Superman was straight way back when Christopher Reeve played the first movie role of Superman when Margot Kidder was Lois Lane. No problem about that.

Donk

Experimental Member
Media
Lex said:
THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!

Why would it take him 5 years to go to Krypton and get back? Oh, RIGHT-so Lois could have his SON. It sure did not take him 5 years to get he via that space craft that Jor-el made, did it?

Actually, it did. If you watch the first movie, Kal-el is put in the spaceship as a baby, and, by the time he gets to earth, is a boy of about 5 years old or so (maybe a little younger) who is able to lift a car. (Actually, Superman may have traveled faster in the new movie as he was able to get to Krypton and back in 5 years.)

I do, however, find it strange that, for all their advanced crystal technology, the Kryptonians apparently were unable to master the art of making a spacecraft that can actually LAND as opposed to crash into the destination planet.

O.K., end of my hyper-geeky intervention in this thread.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Mkymkus said:
I love Routh saying this film finally proves Superman is not gay. Unbelievable. Kissing, marrying, fathering a child, loving a woman--what exactly is it that proves you are not gay?

What made Superman great was the fact that he was a gay, religious superhero. Anything that deviates from that is going to destroy his character.

Do you think this gay allegory would have been imposed had Bryan Singer not directed it? Singer is, afterall, an openly gay director who made the X-men/Monotiry/Gay overtones readily apparent in his two X-Men films (not that those theme have not been there since day one).

I prefer the Christ allegory as it first and foremost what the story is about:sending a people less advanced your only son to lift them up through his heroic virtue.

Adoption being second. He is an inside outsider. A man who has been adopted and searches for his roots, finally finding comfort with his adotped family.

There is lots of good intrigue to be had here. Giving him a child looks like a huge future plot contrivance to me (see: Boy Wonder, Robin The; Batman). Kidnapping themes ad nauseum anyone?

Maybe they will suprise me--we'll see.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
quoting a SPOILER.. lol

steve319 said:
Remember that moment when (SPOILER) he landed the plane in the ball field and the crowd looked stunned for a few seconds then jumped to its feet and went wild? That's how I felt. I didn't realize how much I'd missed him while he was gone, you know?
Yeah, no kidding! That just completely ROCKED. I actually felt a little "verklempt" by the time that scene finished. What a perfect way for Superman to make his big comeback.

All the angst and internal torment of the other superheroes makes for good stories -- the X-Men fighting for acceptance, Peter Parker being transformed from being another college kid into a superhero, Batman dealing with the pain of his parents' deaths. They're all fascinating, but really, they're also such downers -- so much sadness.

But, dang, it's been years since we've had that kind of hero, who's just an all-around good guy ("Blue Boy Scout" is accurate), can literally do anything, and is universally adored by everyone on the planet.

Man, that movie was fun. An ultimate feel-good superhero movie.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Agree with LeeEJ, Bronxy, and Steve319 on this. Fact is, the appeal of this character has always been (historically) this "all around good guy" quality.

The movie sparked emotions on a variety of levels: (MORE SPOILERS HERE) his need to find his homeworld and failure to do so, his conflicted feelings over Lois having moved on and having a son, the connection between him and humans and his apparent need to feel needed by humans and Lois. His desire to belong, to have a sense of purpose is something central to this character.

The "villian thing" with Lex was in this regard only rendered into a subplot, the real ones being all of the above. The producers of this film were also wise in keeping that connectivity with the first two Superman movies (as well as with established lore), down to the music, the grapics, Brando...all the way to the last scene. Sometimes, tradition can be a good thing after all.

This movie was a winner.