Support Bush or you're fired LOL

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/03/12/bush.protest.suspension.ap/index.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio (AP) -- A maintenance worker was suspended for displaying a sign with the word "traitor" on his state snowplow while helping provide security for President Bush's motorcade, officials said.

Michael Gerstenslager was asked to park a snowplow on an entrance ramp to block access to a highway the president's motorcade used to travel from Cleveland Hopkins International Airport into downtown Cleveland on Wednesday.

A state trooper in the president's motorcade saw the sign and reported it to the Ohio Department of Transportation, the agency's spokeswoman, Lora Hummer, said.

Gerstenslager does not have a listed telephone number and could not be reached for comment.

Gerstenslager is suspended with pay while the department investigates, Hummer said. She said she could not identify potential violations or penalties until the investigation is complete. Discipline can range from a verbal warning to dismissal.

A disciplinary hearing will occur next week.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
When I worked with the Virginia Dept. of Transportation in the summer between my graduation from high school and my freshman year in college, you could be fired for participating in politics during work hours.

Most states are very careful to provide a neutral workplace for their employees. Several local leaders here have been called on the carpet for politics-in-the-workplace ranging from having employees duplicate campaign posters on the Xerox to mass phone calling to ensure a good voter turnout for a crony.

As for the guy with the (extremely bad taste) sign on his truck - they will probably not be able to get him for anything beyong vandalism of State property.

mindseye: Hell's frozen over: I'm in agreement with Pecker over something political.

The snowplow didn't belong to him to do with as he pleased. Furthermore, he was on the clock.

And he had adequate notice that this wasn't allowed. The State of Ohio Employee Handbook (which covers DOT employees) specifies, "If you are an unclassified employee, you may generally participate in any political activities, but may not do so during regular work hours."

grantstephens: If the sign was on his own truck while he was off duty - that would be fine, but to use a governmet vehicle while on the clock is definetely wrong.

Inwood: Maybe he's covered under the "whistleblower act." You know, when government employees see something wrong and point it out to everyone so it can be corrected.

Or maybe not.