mc4bbs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Support Grows for Ban on Male Circumcision; Proposals
to Regulate Male Circumcision Now Circulating in Congress, State Legislatures

2/6/2006 5:31:00 PM

SAN DIEGO, Calif., Feb. 6 /U.S. Newswire/ -- John Soemer from New Jersey remembers the moment when he learned that a part of his penis was missing as if it were yesterday. "I am now 61 years old, but I was in fifth grade when I first found out I was circumcised," recalled Soemer. "I had seen an intact friend's penis when he relieved himself while we were out fishing, and when I asked him why his looked so different, he told me what had been done to me. Back then neither one of us knew the proper name for any of those parts, so he called his foreskin his 'funskin'. That gave me enough of an idea that I was missing out on something, and left me feeling very cheated."

John is not the only circumcised man who feels that he was robbed of his right to an intact body. While thousands of men are taking up foreskin restoration to reverse some of their circumcision damage, others are working with human rights groups to stop circumcision from being forced onto infants and children. Today, John and a group of activists from fifteen states joined this movement when they participated in the Third Annual USA MGM (Male Genital Mutilation) Bill Submission. Together they submitted letters and bill proposals via fax, email, postal mail, and hand delivery to more than 2,700 federal and state legislators in a single day -- up from 660 legislators the year before. The proposed legislation, written by San Diego based MGMbill.org, would make current U.S. female genital mutilation laws gender neutral so that boys are legally protected from circumcision the same way that girls are protected.

Matthew Hess, President of MGMbill.org, said that infant circumcision is sexual assault. "Male circumcision permanently damages male sexual function, and it is done forcefully, without the consent of the child. Just as cutting off any part of a baby girl's genital anatomy would be considered a criminal act, amputation of a boy's foreskin for medically unnecessary reasons should be treated as a crime of equal stature. If a fully informed adult wants to undergo circumcision for cosmetic, religious, or other personal reasons, then that is a decision he can make after he turns eighteen."

Chaz Antonelli of Quincy, Massachusetts, took a day off from work to hand out copies of the MGM Bill proposal to legislators at the State House in Boston. Like most American men born in the 1960's, Chaz was routinely circumcised as an infant in a hospital. "As a newborn baby, I could not protect myself from being circumcised," said Chaz. "While I support an adult's right to alter his or her own genitals if that is their preference, forcing circumcision onto a helpless child is a clear human rights violation. I'm here today because I want Massachusetts to be the first U.S. state to ban routine infant male circumcision."

Male circumcision legislation is also becoming a topic of discussion in several European parliaments. Sweden became the first developed country in modern times to regulate and restrict male circumcision on human rights grounds in 2001, and in 2003 the Denmark National Council for Children called on lawmakers to ban the practice for the benefit of the children. In 2004, well- known Dutch Member of Parliament Ayaan Hirsi Ali called on fellow legislators to enact a similar ban, and she recently stated on a Dutch television documentary that male circumcision is "a form of mutilation" and that "the consequences can be worse for boys than for girls" when compared to some common types of female circumcision.

In addition to all 540 members of Congress, state legislatures that received MGM Bill proposals from their local residents today included California, Florida, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, and Virginia.

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm sorry, but this sounds like just another whinney dumb asses
bitching about some nonsense because they have nothing better
to do. I was cicumcised, and I am a perfectly healthy and mentally
sane person. This is unfortunately, another sign of the decline of
the Western Civilization. There are fare greater unjustices done to
our fellow man and women that should be looked into.
Get a hobby people. Life too short to worry about s**t like that.

I may sound cold hearted, but after you lose a parent to cancer,
your outlook on life changes somewhat.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
jakeatolla said:
I'm sorry, but this sounds like just another whinney dumb asses
bitching about some nonsense because they have nothing better
to do. I was cicumcised, and I am a perfectly healthy and mentally
sane person. This is unfortunately, another sign of the decline of
the Western Civilization. There are fare greater unjustices done to
our fellow man and women that should be looked into.
Get a hobby people. Life too short to worry about s**t like that.

I may sound cold hearted, but after you lose a parent to cancer,
your outlook on life changes somewhat.

Sympathy to you and yours. I've been through similar. I'm also healthy, sane and cut.
There may well be issues more urgent. Attend to them.

But this one is so obviously ass backwards, why should we tolerate perpetuating the circumcision mindset. In Canada since the fee of the surgery has been removed from government health care, leaving the parents to pay the cost, the numbers have dwindled dramatically. That's improvement. North America has gone in a very unnatural direction in the past 60 years.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
rawbone8 said:
Sympathy to you and yours. I've been through similar. I'm also healthy, sane and cut.
There may well be issues more urgent. Attend to them.

But this one is so obviously ass backwards, why should we tolerate perpetuating the circumcision mindset. In Canada since the fee of the surgery has been removed from government health care, leaving the parents to pay the cost, the numbers have dwindled dramatically. That's improvement. North America has gone in a very unnatural direction in the past 60 years.

That would be a great way to handle it, have insurance companies refuse to pay for it, that would cut down on all but the most die-hard baby-cutters.

As a matter of opinion, I don't really have much of a preference between cut or uncut, but I think this clearly IS a civil rights violation of an infant. If someone chooses to be circumsised when they're an adult, that's fine, but any other type of body modification is restricted to adults, and this should be as well.

Pye

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
It may seem silly to some. Such as why have it as an issue? Well -- let's all agree to STOP allowing circumcision to be performed at birth and then we won't have an issue with it. When someone can make the decision for themself to be circumsized-- LET them-- but I don't think that it should be allowed to be a decision for parents to make.

Pye

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Pye said:
It may seem silly to some. Such as why have it as an issue? Well -- let's all agree to STOP allowing circumcision to be performed at birth and then we won't have an issue with it. When someone can make the decision for themself to be circumsized-- LET them-- but I don't think that it should be allowed to be a decision for parents to make.

BTW-- I'm healthy sane and cut-- but I still wish that I had the choice.

Pappy

Media
These people need to get out more often and get a fricking life. It's been left to the parents for hundreds of years, why does the government need to get involved now??
I'm sorry but the government is already too involved in our lives as it is, I don't think they need to get anymore involved.
Circumcision has not damaged my sexual function in any way. I was a horny teen and I am a horny adult. I can't imagine what things would be like if my sexual function were not "damaged".
This is just another example of a few wanting to push their beliefs on everyone else, if this shit keeps up I'm moving to an unlisted asteroid somewhere in the galaxy.

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
rawbone8 said:

Yes, but I for one decided to circumsize my son( not personally) mostly for
health reasons . And I didn't mind paying. Although most company benefit
packages will cover the cost.

And now they don't even have to cut it, they just tie a string around it.
After inserting a small plastic bell between the foreskin and the head.

Pye

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
jakeatolla said:
Yes, but I for one decided to circumsize my son( not personally) mostly for
health reasons . And I didn't mind paying. Although most company benefit
packages will cover the cost.

And now they don't even have to cut it, they just tie a string around it.
After inserting a small plastic bell between the foreskin and the head.

? what health reasons? there is not one valid 'health reason' to have someone circed at birth

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Pye said:
? what health reasons? there is not one valid 'health reason' to have someone circed at birth
Well, I guess it depends on who to believe. Those who think that there
is an increased incidence of fungal infections with a foreskin.
I know that there are studies gallore on both sides of the argument
and it will never be setlled in our lifetime(s). All I have to go on is
my own experience.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My dad was intact

My two brothers and I were circumcised because it was encouraged in the 50's by the establishment at that time. my parents did what was "normal" for the time.

We now know it is unnecessary for any valid health reasons. I'd never choose that course without a damn good reason for any child of mine.

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
pappy said:
These people need to get out more often and get a fricking life. It's been left to the parents for hundreds of years, why does the government need to get involved now??
Tradition is never a good reason to continue doing anything. Female circumcision is a tradition. Need I say more?

BBB2.5

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My parents had me and my brother Circumcised when we were born. I am thankfull they did. Not that there is anything wrong with uncut males.
My father was not cut until the age of 21. He said it was the most painfully thing he had done in his life at that point.
Think about this..as we get older our dick's start to become active. Can you imagine have been circumcised at that stage of you life. Then the next day after it was done, you got a hard on....:yikes: talk about pain.....no way.

So I am glad my parents made this choice for me. I never had it. I have no clue what I missed out on.

That's my view on this topic.
:tongue:

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Pappy said:
It's been left to the parents for hundreds of years, why does the government need to get involved now??
because sadly, the government are the only ones who have the authority to tell halfwitted, mentally-deficient parents that it's NOT acceptable for them to cut bits off of their kids. if folks like you weren't so wilfully retarded about the whole thing, it wouldn't be NECESSARY for people to kick it up to the fucking government.

jakeatolla said:
Yes, but I for one decided to circumsize my son( not personally) mostly for health reasons.
yeah, well that's because you're an ignorant twat. have fun explaining to your kid why a big chunk of his dick is missing.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dr Rock said:
yeah, well that's because you're an ignorant twat. have fun explaining to your kid why a big chunk of his dick is missing.

I was circumsized at birth Dr. Rock. I like both those who are and those who are not - no bias one way or the other. But I must say I've never felt like a "big chunk of [my] dick is missing". In truth I find the circumsized cock often more aesthetically appealing than the other variety.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
GottaBigOne said:
Tradition is never a good reason to continue doing anything. Female circumcision is a tradition. Need I say more?

There's a rather substantial difference in the female variety and the male:

"There are three main types of [female] circumcision:
  • The removal of the tip of the clitoris;
  • Total removal of the clitoris and surrounding labia;
  • The removal of the clitoris and labia and the sewing up of the vagina, leaving only a small opening for urine and menstrual blood - a process known as infibulation.
So drastic is the mutilation involved in the latter operation that young brides have to be cut open to allow penetration on their wedding night and are customarily sewn up afterwards. The aim of the process is to ensure the woman is faithful to her future husband. Some communities consider girls ineligible for marriage if they have not been circumsized"

- BBC News World Addition

The male variety (of which I'm an example) has none of the patriarchal control ramifications around it. Nor has it the health risks. Indeed the phenomenons, to me, are entirely non-analagous. As one poster said earlier his father was circumsized as an adult. So was mine. I was always told it was for "health reasons" (whatever that meant) but knowing my dad as I do I'm entirely confident he'd not have had it done without a thoroughly good reason based in an informed decision and prudent medical research.