Support Women's Health! I Stand with Planned Parenthood

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Show how much you really love women. Please sign this petition to support Planned Parenthood. For our health.

Dear Representative Boehner and your extremist colleagues in Congress,

Your willingness to shut down the federal government and devastate the daily lives of millions of Americans because of your vendetta against Planned Parenthood is utterly despicable.

And it is absolutely clear that your actions have never been about reducing government spending. They have always been about your vendetta against Planned Parenthood. I know it; you know it; and so do millions of Americans. We stand together to stop you, and we will not back down.

We are teachers and students, mothers and fathers, Republicans and Democrats, lawyers, doctors, and manual laborers, women and men. We know that the health care Planned Parenthood provides to screen for cancer, test for HIV, prescribe birth control, and empower and educate women, men, and teens is essential. We are millions strong — and growing.

The hardships a government shutdown will create are unacceptable, and we implore you to stop.

Sincerely,

Add My Name

Last edited:

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't mean to offend anyone, but are people really stupid enough to not believe in what Planned Parenthood stands for? It seems like a perfectly sane, safe and logical approach.

Serial Kisser

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't mean to offend anyone, but are people really stupid enough to not believe in what Planned Parenthood stands for? It seems like a perfectly sane, safe and logical approach.

Yes, there a LOT of people who don't believe in PP. I had something about this on my facebook and I had lots of negative responses.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am on the fence. On the one hand, Planned Parenthood provides care to women in truly under-served areas. On the other hand, it was founded by a woman with a really nasty agenda, an agenda which may still be the true purpose of the organization. Genocide in the guise of women's rights is insidious business.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
randomly Ms. Petite, i get all giggly happy that you read Jezebel :smile:

more than Planned Parent Hood, i spend most of my volunteer time working with independent/non-profit sexual health clinics and out reach programs. the clinics focus on women below the poverty line and homeless teens and underage sex workers.

is heartbreaking how much federal funding has been lost, and the restriction now in place.

eta: not to say i have a lack of love for Planned Parent Hood, they do help so many women/families and such. even with the hink in origin.

fire77

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I wish politicians stop using PP as weapon against each other. I am all for PP and it should be left to the person to decide not some idiot sitting in his office.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Things like this annoy me. Whether 'PP' is perfect or not, it seems like a definite step in the right direction. Why can't the people decide what is best for once? From what I gather, the sort of services provided by 'PP' are commonplace here in the UK and we are far from perfect. Politicians are so blind. Anyway, my apologies, sorry for the rant.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
organ transplants/field surgeries/blood transfusions moved decades ahead during the six years of WWII.

the seed can be planted in horror but it might grow yield something sweet.

PP started out with the intent of culling a generation of minorities and a socioeconomically disadvantaged group of people.

now, PP is often the only medical care available to women and children in most American cities. without the sliding scale pricing a large number of women would have no option other than continuing unwanted pregnancies without any prenatal care at all.

the testings, treatment and education programs has slowed the spread of STIs for young folk with assess to the clinics.

sometimes my ethics get a little bruised, like serving up meat to the homeless.. but in the end my reservations ain't worth denying another person services they need or are entitled to.

is like the clinic offering sterilization to women with a history of prostitution/drug use or women already having more than one child in social services. there was heated debated on both sides of the fence. is not an easy answer, and so many variables ya could argue until everyone ran of breath.. and i am not entirely sure how i feel about the program. i stilled made sure the women who wanted to make use of the program could.

:shrug:

AlphaMale

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
EDIT: Ok so I just read up on what exactly Planned Parenthood is here: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/who-we-are-4648.htm

Seems to me like it's basically "...vital reproductive health care, sex education, and information [for] millions of women, men, and young people worldwide." Doesn't appear that it's just for women.

I personally am not against the program if it's completely as described. However, I don't really get the name "planned parenthood", it seems ambiguous to me. I'd hope they aren't implying that we all 'should become parents' at some time in our lives because most people aren't even mentally fit enough to be in a relationship, let alone have kids and be their parents.

If it's sex/STI education and health care for those that truely need it then great. However, I don't think we currently should pay or start paying the bills for MTV's Teen Moms, etc. ... if you get my drift.

Last edited:

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Does anyone have a link to information describing exactly what Planned Parenthood is? I've heard the name several times, but I have no idea what services they actually do and do not provide.

Perhaps I'm foolish to be posting to this thread with very little knowledge of 'PP', but as I understand it, they provide screening for numerous health issues, provide birth control and educate about sexual and reproductive health.

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There is huge conflict with planned parenthood in the us because they are an organization that offers abortions and other pro-choice options to women. I know a doctor affiliated with planned parenthood and she gets death threats.

AlphaMale

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
There is huge conflict with planned parenthood in the us because they are an organization that offers abortions and other pro-choice options to women...

Yeah I sensed that there was a bigger issue with them (at least to some people) besides just sex education and STI screenings.

I lean more towards the pro choice side I guess, but at the same time I don't think there are too many justifications for "accidental pregnancy" either so it's a balancing act.

SouthernGirl

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I promise you, there is no shortage of poor minority women.
When I heard about the cuts for PP I noticed that they didn't allocate any additional funding for SECTION 8, WIC, WELFARE, FOODSTAMPS, MEDICAID, LIHEAP, or PUBLIC HOUSING.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah I sensed that there was a bigger issue with them (at least to some people) besides just sex education and STI screenings.

I lean more towards the pro choice side I guess, but at the same time I don't think there are too many justifications for "accidental pregnancy" either so it's a balancing act.

Without sex education, lots of accidental pregnancies occur. Admittedly, some of those people may have ignored advice; but still, I can't stomach the thought of a child growing up as an 'accident' with no love from the parents/adoption services. I'm not saying that these children are all unloved, but some are. Another example would be rape victims - they should not be pressured into having the child of a stranger. If someone feels they are not ready to handle the responsibility of being a parent, then they should have multiple options open to them. I'm a fool though, so what do I know? Haha, this thread has reminded of the time when I received a shove for sharing my pro-choice beliefs. Good times.