Support

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by monstro, Oct 6, 2011.

1. monstro

monstro New Member

9 or 10 years ago, when I used to post here on a regular basis, I had the reputation, entirely deserved, of being something of a Pollyanna.

Nowadays I'm a little more brusque and blunt than I used to be. A little stupider (if that's possible) and a little more inclined to tilting at windmills.

Mea culpa.

Yet sometimes, reading the posts here, I wish there was a little bit more of that supportive spirit that really did prevail here back in ye olde proverbial day. A little less inclination to jump down the throats of new posters, a little less inclination to indulge in endless circle jerks of either argument or agreement. Yes, seeing "Does having a x correlate to y" posts get a little old, "do (fill in the blank) human beings have (larger/smaller) penises than these (fill in the blank) human beings" are things we've all seen plenty of.

So and so argues "this" about something that's in the wind so we argue "that" back because, obviously, they're an idiot. Doesn't he or she realize we have the truth--and the citations with which to back it up?

And plenty of trolls and fakers are inclined to join a site such as this. But so what? Do we always have to police everything? Is it ok to be fooled? What's the worst that can happen if we answer sincerely to someone who turns out to be a faker or troll? We look bad? We look stupid? To whom? The troll? What do we care what they think? Somebody disagrees with our political opinion or just our opinion in general? Who gives a shit? What are we trying to prove? And to whom? Can anybody here have the courage to say, "I was wrong. I apologize. Teach me something." ?

So what if...and just what if...the person asking questions we may have heard before, or simply may be mis-understanding in this moment, is also an actual human being, looking for answers, looking to fit in? What if someone has a sincere question about his penis, his/her boyfriend's penis, his/her girlfriend's boyfriend penis--whatever beautiful formulation of human sexual response might be possible--that might be phrased in a grammatically incorrect way or in a style that we've all seen so many times before? Does he or she, or however this human being wishes to be defined, not deserve the benefit of the doubt or some kind of considered, measured response? Could we treat each other with some respect and compassion?

So many well-educated, intelligent people post here, far more so than this particular college flunk-out, that I wonder what it might be like if there was less argument, less well and/or ill-informed opinion, and more understanding. Less point scoring and jockeying for empty wins in meaningless arguments and an actual coming together (pardon the pun) in the understanding that for whatever reason, male, female or transgender; gay, straight, bi or asexual; well-hung, "small" or "average"--some common purpose and interest has brought us together?

I'm sure someone will use the "kum by yah" or "can't we get all along" or "pc" tropes to this entirely earnest query on my part, and that's fine. And I realize some of my recent posts have not been particularly considerate, or I dare say, intelligible. Yet I wonder, and feel free to flame away in response, what might this site become if we were a little kinder to one another?

#1 monstro, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    You asked a lot of questions, but to me it seems more like you're trying to make a statement: "The 'support' in LP'S'G seems to be lacking lately."

If that's what you're trying to say, I can't say I completely disagree. But, I have noticed lately, that some of that old spirit of helpfulness seems to be coming back. Just the fact that you've posted this thread points to it.

I don't know what your policy is. I honestly can't say I've come across many of your posts. I do know, that my policy is to try to support those who seem to be bringing interest and flair back to LPSG. And if i can convince an old member or two to come back, more yay for all of us!

3. monstro

monstro New Member

I have no policy but I appreciate your thoughtful response. Yay back to you!!

4. LaFemme

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Personally, I'm always in favour of a little kindness. Answering the same oft asked questions sometimes seems to be perceived as being naive or being weak. But as you point out - what if? What if it is sincere? A little kindness can go a long way.

I'm all for putting the support back in LPSG! I just reserve the right to get cranky every now and again. :wink:

5. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I agree as a whole. Most of the responses lately have been sort of patronizing and/or argumentative, although there are still some posters that are consistently supportive and helpful, just not as often as when I first started visiting here.

Hopefully it's just a phase and things will swing back to being mostly supportive soon.

6. crescendo69

Gold Member

My dick gets so hard I cum hands-free. Now, support me, dammit!

7. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think, more than anything else, there's been something of a brain-drain here, for a variety of reasons. But most of the really clever, high-caliber posters from my first few years here are gone, whether through disactivating their accounts, banning or just having walked away.

I miss them and their contributions here very much. That's not to say that LPSG has dumbed it down, really, on an administrative level, so much as there are far fewer posters here who intrigue me into responding than there used to be. And there are far fewer threads being generated that seem worth responding to.

OTOH, LPSG has always had a unique sort of caustic, take-no-prisoners wit and tone. When I make the occasional reappearance on AIDSmeds (an HIV support site), I'm inevitably warned to ratchet it down a notch by the mods. As I use the same voice in both places, I think it's due to the "tone" I picked up here. Frankly, there's no other explanation, though it makes anything more than an occasion lurk over there increasingly unlikely :cool:

8. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

:eek: But you are amongst the most polite and well reasoned people on this site!

My own view on the support thing is that the site seems to go through phases. This has been evident just in the year I've been here, so I'm sure it applies even more so in the longer term.

9. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, but sweetheart I occasionally convey a cunty tone: 'tis true an' all. C'est tout simplement moi, après tout.

10. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

But it's the most polite cunty tone possible!

11. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    :redface:

That's sorta what I think, too. It's a rare moment when I truly take the gloves off, but when I do...

12. Drifterwood

Gold Member

#12 Drifterwood, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  13. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Discovered :eek:

But I was a precocious child, after all.

Oh! And you get 97 extra bonus gay points for quoting Disco Tex & The Sex-o-Lettes. It's quite literally been decades, darling: decades.

14. erratic

Gold Member

I hear you, OP, and I've tried to keep the "S" in LPSG. Sometimes I fail, but I can guarantee I've never said anything here that I wouldn't say in real life to a real human being. I think that's the best yard-stick for how...human a post is. Would I say it to someone face-to-face?

Also, I remember someone here posting that it's important to be one notch nicer to everyone than you want to be. Especially on the internet, I think that's some pretty good advice :)

Of course, the risk there is sounding like a Polyanna, but I'd rather that than the alternatives.

15. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

ROFL :biggrin1:.

Turn around and run, hey? Actually I dread to think of getting on your bad side. I think you would be scary :redface::tongue:

16. Drifterwood

Gold Member

You just have to oil up and wrestle him a bit. There's a couple of holds I can think of that make him purr.

17. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you ever bother reading some of the comments from The Spin Cycle, especially this ongoing thread, you can see me at my flaming best :wink:

You know me too well, my friend :biggrin1:

18. MickeyLee

Gold Member

the S is for support?

oh, man.. i been going about this all wrong.

19. crescendo69

Gold Member

:lmao:

20. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

Okay, that was fucking brrrillant!!! :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

I particularly like the part that starts "Oh, and Cathy, one last thing, dear." Why did that particular part work for me? Fuck knows.

And I stand by my 'most polite cunty tone possible' comment (although I've only read half of the first page so far). I've never seen anyone be quite so cunty in quite such a polite tone before :biggrin1:.

Draft saved Draft deleted