Supreme Court gets it right, Sotomayor gets it wrong

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wyldgusechaz, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

Connecticut firefighters win court case in the Highest Court.

Court rules for white firefighters over promotions - Yahoo! News

Written tests are used in Europe to validate abilities, why not America? Because the ONLY reason is political correctness.

Well the Supreme Court struck down Judge Sotomayor's ridiculous decision and put the burden of success on aptitude, not some notion of political correctness.

The best and brightest should ALWAYS win out. That is what makes a great country.

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    It wasn't Sotomayor's decision. It was unanimous decision of 3 judges. Sotomayor actually has one of the "best" judicial records when it comes to decsions overturned.

3. SEXXXX

SEXXXX New Member

Albums:
    Doesn't make her less preferential in racial treatment

4. Industrialsize

Albums:
    You obviously don't have a clue of her entire judicial record. Her's one(of many) cases that defy the stereotype you've placed on her:
    Daily Kos: Sotomayor dissented for a White racist.

Facts
    Thomas Pappas was dismissed by the New York City Police Department for anonymously mailing from his home racially offensive political materials to political and other groups that had solicited him for donations. Pappas was fired for mailing out the material. The Appeals court held that the Police Department’s action had not infringed on the plaintiff's Pappas’s rights under the First Amendment.[1][2]
    [edit] Sotomayor dissenting opinion
    Sonia Sotomayor dissented from the majority's decision to award summary judgment to the police department. Although Sotomayor acknowledged that the speech was "patently offensive, hateful, and insulting," she warned the majority about "gloss[ing] over three decades of jurisprudence and the centrality of First Amendment freedoms in our lives just because it is confronted with speech it does not like."........

5. SEXXXX

SEXXXX New Member

Albums:
    If you have Pappas "racially offensive political materials" do share, I can't find it anywhere on the web

Anyway if it did warrant punishment from the law, it should not be a ground to fire him

In the New Haven's case race is THE factor to undermine's ones ability, regardless his/her race, and upholding what's interpreted as multi-racial image

6. Industrialsize

Albums:
    The point is that she sided with the white racist. Either you didn't get that or it doesn't fit in with your preconceived notion that Sotomayor always sides with Minorities. And it shows that you don't understand the Ricci case and the Nuances of Law it contains. Read it.

7. SEXXXX

SEXXXX New Member

Albums:
    First no mention that Pappas is WHITE, were he from different race would it make Sotomayor right to support him?

Second how would I get a preconceived notion if I could not read the so-called "racist remarks"

Some of us just don't take second hand news whole-heartedly, as is second-hand law nuances

Unlike you

8. Industrialsize

Albums:
    And some of us take the time to look at a judges entire record before we make up our mind about her. Hers is quite extensive.

9. SEXXXX

SEXXXX New Member

Albums:
    then it is FLAWED to take Pappas case into your made up mind

This one has nothing to do with New Haven's case, though pretty sure plenty would politicize it that way

10. Industrialsize

Albums:
    I don't even know what your reply means. My point is that you cannot evaluate judge's philosophy on the basis of one case. It seems that you feel that Sotomayor always rules in favor of minorities and in favor of affirmative action because she is a Latina. A thorough review of her judicial career would show you quite the opposite if you took the time to do it. And any "politicization" is coming from the right wing noise machine.

11. SEXXXX

SEXXXX New Member

Albums:
    I mentioned her racial preference on New Haven case, not others

To clarify, I am not interested in her philosophy, it is more important on how she distance herself from whatever preconceived philosophy she has and interprete the law

Words like "white racists", "Latina" showed your strong racial influenced made up mind

12. Industrialsize

Albums:
    Thank you for proving my point.

13. BiggerInTexas8

BiggerInTexas8 New Member

That's true. It's not like she's going to throw out Affirmative Action where companies hire unqualified idiots who know nothing about their jobs and have zero skills just because they are a race that is not white and want to get a kickback or fill a quota. She's Latina so she's going to side with people who aren't white which is not surprising. While I and many blacks, Asians, and Latinos think that Afirmative Action is insulting towards people who are not white as it basically says "OK so you are not white, not educated, and need a lot of help finding a job because of your race", the Firemen's tests should not have been thrown out as they are standardized tests and anyone can study for them and take them or retake them. Then there's what a black female friend of mine has frequently said about Affirmative Action: "Black people do not know about professionalism until they are in it for the first time!"

#13 BiggerInTexas8, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  14. Industrialsize

Albums:
  15. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Exactly. The issues her detractors continue to raise are bogus ones: picayunish examinations and characterizations of every decision or position she's had that's not in keeping with their own agendas.

The assumption that she'd rule in favor of minorities or related issues because of her race is fucking insulting, if not outright racist itself.

16. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I'm just going to bite my tongue and try to ignore some of the blinding ignorant garbage that has been posted by some people on this thread. It's apparent that a few people forgot why "Affirmative Action" was created in the first place, and somehow think that it's only in place to choose dumb people over smart ones for important jobs.

And they have the nerve to question the intelligence of ANYONE, nevermind anyone who benefitted from Affirmative Action.

17. SEXXXX

SEXXXX New Member

Albums:
    There lies the problem, she is seen as a minority who SHOULD take side on minority issue

Shall I remind everyone that law is supposed to be BLIND?

18. lucky8

Gold Member

Affirmative Action is bogus and needs to end. The white, and 1 latino, firefighters cannot help the fact the minorities who took the test either didn't study enough or simply aren't as intelligent as them. There is no such thing as a test that favors a certain group of people...come on now. That's life, and we shouldn't change standards just to be poltically correct...lives are at stake with this whole firefighters nonsense.

And in saying that, I must say that I am rejoycing about the fact that another liberal is in the Supreme Court. Perhaps the biggest reason why I wanted a dem in the white house, a conservative led supreme court will be the beginning of the end of our freedoms...

19. BiggerInTexas8

BiggerInTexas8 New Member

It's true though. Affirmative Action does more harm than good and it's suicide for a company to hire people based on their race only even if they are not qualified for the job and do not have years or decades of experience in that job, or if they do not pass an exam. Nobody is saying that people who are not white do not have the qualifications but Affirmative Action undercuts all qualifications for a job and favors people who should not be hired for the job in the first place and should not even be applying for it since they are not qualified for it. I'm glad Affirmative Action is not in place for hiring most teachers or God forbid imagine what it would be like if it was used to hire doctors or surgeons!

20. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

You have absolutely no idea why AA was created in the first place. It's not a law forcing corporations to hire minorities over caucasions, nor is it there to deny people who have better credentials from getting jobs so that people with less can get them. It's to promote diversity in the workplace, and to give a better shot for minorities who find themselves at an inadvertent disadvantage when looking for work.

They would probably type run-on sentences on a penis site regarding matters they don't understand, just like you. But I digress, of course... :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted