Supreme Court gets it right, Sotomayor gets it wrong

BiggerInTexas8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You have absolutely no idea why AA was created in the first place. It's not a law forcing corporations to hire minorities over caucasions, nor is it there to deny people who have better credentials from getting jobs so that people with less can get them. It's to promote diversity in the workplace, and to give a better shot for minorities who find themselves at an inadvertent disadvantage when looking for work.

They would probably type run-on sentences on a penis site regarding matters they don't understand, just like you. But I digress, of course... :rolleyes:

That's my point. Minorities act like they have it all hard and don't have advantages when applying to jobs but it's not like minorities do not have degrees, qualifications, backgrounds, or experience in said job fields since if they really wanted all of that they could get it. Affirmative action devalues the accomplishments of all those who belong to groups it is intended to help, therefore making affirmative action counterproductive. No it is not a law but again companies that do use Affirmative Action frequently hire people who are minorities yet do not have any of the skills, background, or who are qualified to work in said jobs since they want to fill a quota (non Profit orgs do this) and minorities who have no skills, background, or degree are cheap easy labor and expendable for them since they can easily fire them and never have to worry about promoting them, and that is a fact even if you do not want to admit it or accept it.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
That's my point. Minorities act like they have it all hard and don't have advantages when applying to jobs but it's not like minorities do not have degrees, qualifications, backgrounds, or experience in said job fields since if they really wanted all of that they could get it. Affirmative action devalues the accomplishments of all those who belong to groups it is intended to help, therefore making affirmative action counterproductive. No it is not a law but again companies that do use Affirmative Action frequently hire people who are minorities yet do not have any of the skills, background, or who are qualified to work in said jobs since they want to fill a quota (non Profit orgs do this) and minorities who have no skills, background, or degree are cheap easy labor and expendable for them since they can easily fire them and never have to worry about promoting them, and that is a fact even if you do not want to admit it or accept it.

The number of minority workers in high profile jobs speak for themselves. There has never been a time in our history when this number has been reflective of the number of people it represents. My example using our own Congress further illustrates that. Before AA was in place, many companies found themselves faced making decisions between two candidates with the same credentials, and either race or social class played a deciding factor in the final process. Hell, even I experienced it firsthand when trying to get work in my own field of Computer & Web Design.

Also, you don't have any numerical data to suggest that most minority workers who have high profile jobs got them through AA so forgive me if I don't believe you in that rhetoric as well. Again, the disproportion in employment figures say a different story.

AA also doesn't give a company a set number of minorities to meet or a quota. I urge you to actually find out what Affirmative Action is before you continue to talk about a program you clearly know nothing about.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm just going to bite my tongue and try to ignore some of the blinding ignorant garbage that has been posted by some people on this thread. It's apparent that a few people forgot why "Affirmative Action" was created in the first place, and somehow think that it's only in place to choose dumb people over smart ones for important jobs.

And they have the nerve to question the intelligence of ANYONE, nevermind anyone who benefitted from Affirmative Action.

I'm avoiding the thread for precisely that reason.

Coming in here (and the other thread in this category) and reading some of the misconceptions around the inception of affirmative action is enough to make one think that what people went through prior to its existence was for naught.

Pitiful.

Last edited:

SEXXXX

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I'm avoiding the thread for precisely that reason.

Coming in here and reading some of the misconceptions around the inception of affirmative action is enough to make one think that what people went through prior to its existence was for naught.

Pitiful.

Affirmative Action did go too far, your BETTER-THAN-THOU comment is a perfect example

Saying others wrong without stating why you're right is PITIFUL

SEXXXX

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
The number of minority workers in high profile jobs speak for themselves. There has never been a time in our history when this number has been reflective of the number of people it represents. My example using our own Congress further illustrates that. Before AA was in place, many companies found themselves faced making decisions between two candidates with the same credentials, and either race or social class played a deciding factor in the final process. Hell, even I experienced it firsthand when trying to get work in my own field of Computer & Web Design.

Also, you don't have any numerical data to suggest that most minority workers who have high profile jobs got them through AA so forgive me if I don't believe you in that rhetoric as well. Again, the disproportion in employment figures say a different story.

AA also doesn't give a company a set number of minorities to meet or a quota. I urge you to actually find out what Affirmative Action is before you continue to talk about a program you clearly know nothing about.

Back to the case, the reason New Haven Police Dept threw out the result was that they did not want the black police to SUE them

So there is a quota

Last edited:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
you have absolutely no idea why aa was created in the first place. It's not a law forcing corporations to hire minorities over caucasions, nor is it there to deny people who have better credentials from getting jobs so that people with less can get them. It's to promote diversity in the workplace, and to give a better shot for minorities who find themselves at an inadvertent disadvantage when looking for work.

They would probably type run-on sentences on a penis site regarding matters they don't understand, just like you. But i digress, of course... :rolleyes:

lmfao :18:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Well, by law NONE of whose did not pass the test should get promotion

Why sue then?

The problem isn't whether or not they didn't pass. In fact, some minorities did indeed pass that exam according to a news report I heard on Rachel Maddow last night. One of the main issues regarding the test revolves around how some of the questions may have been formed to have a bias towards one group over another. Like I stated previously, I don't know if that's true or not. However, I can write up a question right now that shows a bias towards a particular race. I'll use my joking sample from before and make it 'multiple choice'...

"Salad is to lettuce, as Chitterlings is to _______________"

A. Carrots
B. Pig
C. Horse
D. Pumpkin
E. None of the Above

Now, anyone could "work hard and study" to find out the answer to this. However, do you think most minorities (especially African Americans) wouldn't know the answer to this without even looking it up? That's the issue surrounding questions being more "biased" towards others, and that DOES happen in some tests whether they intended it to be there or not.

But getting back to the fire fighters. They felt they were discriminated against because people who didn't do as good as them got promotions when they did the best. Take skin color out of the equation as well as the need to blame Affirmative Action because in this case that did NOT apply. Read what AA is before you assume that every job is required to hire a certain amount of minorities, for even that is NOT written in the law. Of course, that could be perceived by those who misinterpret it, and we all know how people can do that.

SEXXXX

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
The problem isn't whether or not they didn't pass. In fact, some minorities did indeed pass that exam according to a news report I heard on Rachel Maddow last night. One of the main issues regarding the test revolves around how some of the questions may have been formed to have a bias towards one group over another. Like I stated previously, I don't know if that's true or not. However, I can write up a question right now that shows a bias towards a particular race. I'll use my joking sample from before and make it 'multiple choice'...

"Salad is to lettuce, as Chitterlings is to _______________"

A. Carrots
B. Pig
C. Horse
D. Pumpkin
E. None of the Above

Now, anyone could "work hard and study" to find out the answer to this. However, do you think most minorities (especially African Americans) wouldn't know the answer to this without even looking it up? That's the issue surrounding questions being more "biased" towards others, and that DOES happen in some tests whether they intended it to be there or not.

But getting back to the fire fighters. They felt they were discriminated against because people who didn't do as good as them got promotions when they did the best. Take skin color out of the equation as well as the need to blame Affirmative Action because in this case that did NOT apply. Read what AA is before you assume that every job is required to hire a certain amount of minorities, for even that is NOT written in the law. Of course, that could be perceived by those who misinterpret it, and we all know how people can do that.

We can not apply the term minorities in general in this case, it began with the fact that none of black firefighters passed the test.

It is not written in the law that they could toss the test aside in protecting themselves from lawsuit, but it was decided legal until yesterday

To my knowledge, it was a standard test, I don't see any fire rescue questions that could be attributed to exclude ONLY one minority

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Affirmative Action did go too far, your BETTER-THAN-THOU comment is a perfect example

(** the term is "holier-than-thou") If you're going to insult me please insult me accurately. :)

If it did go too far it was for all the right reasons. "Better-than-thou"? That's a bit reactionary and certainly inaccurate.

Saying others wrong without stating why you're right is PITIFUL

.. and that just makes no sense.

But I see you're a "right" or "wrong" kinda guy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SEXXXX

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
(** the term is "holier-than-thou") If you're going to insult me please insult me accurately. :)

If it did go too far it was for all the right reasons. "Better-than-thou"? That's a bit reactionary and certainly inaccurate.

.. and that just makes no sense.

But I see you're a "right" or "wrong" kinda guy. :rolleyes:

I intended it to be less religious

Now who's the RIGHT or WRONG kind of guy??????????????

SEXXXX

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
It occurs to me those complaining the loudest about the finding are white, male, and heterosexual.

Now who's the RACIST, SEXIST and HETEROPHOBIC?????????

Being minority is not a ground to be any of the above

SEXXXX

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Stop your bloody WHINING. (I just love reversing the use of that word!):tongue:

I'm just reading who's writing what dude.

I see you as immensely threatened.

My mistake in reading through your only negative contribution