Supreme court rules in favor of same-sex marriage

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Today, June 26, is a landmark date for gay rights--and not just because of today's Supreme Court Obergefell v. Hodges decision in favor of same-sex marriage. On the same date in 2003, the Court ruled in Lawrence v. Texas that laws against homosexual acts are unconstitutional, while exactly ten years later, the Court in United States v. Windsor struck down the Defense of Marriage Act.

June 26 also happens to be my birthday, which is pretty cool. I feel I should celebrate by marrying a man, but that may just be the euphoria of the moment.

Reactions: KennF

KennF

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Today, June 26, is a landmark date for gay rights--and not just because of today's Supreme Court Obergefell v. Hodges decision in favor of same-sex marriage. On the same date in 2003, the Court ruled in Lawrence v. Texas that laws against homosexual acts are unconstitutional, while exactly ten years later, the Court in United States v. Windsor struck down the Defense of Marriage Act.

June 26 also happens to be my birthday, which is pretty cool. I feel I should celebrate by marrying a man, but that may just be the euphoria of the moment.

Congratulations!

Reactions: Klingsor

Bardox

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Live it up my gay friends. You have finally won this hard fought battle. Now you have no excuse for not popping the question to your partner and they will be expecting a very nice ring... very very soon....You may regret doing this one day. You had the perfect out "Well it's not legal here. We could move, but well... our cats like it here." Now that excuse is gone forever. dum dum dummmm...:eek:

Seriously though, happy day.... or should I say Gay Day. :D Seems more appropriate...Today is Gay Day.... It'll catch on.... maybe... no it won't...:(

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm conflicted. I like the decision, but feel like the court might have overstepped its bounds.

Marriage is a state issue and should mostly be handled by the states.

Yeah, just like with interracial marriage. What was wrong with letting the states decide? Or for that matter, the whole slavery thing. We don't need no stinkin' civil rights, so long as we have *states'* rights!

Reactions: keenobserver

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
Yeah, just like with interracial marriage. What was wrong with letting the states decide? Or for that matter, the whole slavery thing. We don't need no stinkin' civil rights, so long as we have *states'* rights!

You're right. It's really not that different from any of those other federal decisions. It's a good judgement. I just feel that marriage is really a state issue.

I wonder what the conservative reponse will be? I'm sure there will be plenty of talk about "activist judges" and other such nonsense.

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What about all the people that were going to set themselves on fire if gay marriage passed?

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm conflicted. I like the decision, but feel like the court might have overstepped its bounds.

You can't put a person's human rights to a vote. Just the fact that it's called a "right" precludes that.

Bardox

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just to see the differences, I have been switching between liberal and conservative outlets covering this decision. On the liberal side it WAS "Why are they taking this case? I don't understand why they would." but now it's "Everyone can get married now. Yay!" On the conservative side it WAS "We have to take it all the way to the SCOTUS." but now it's "It's immoral that the Obama Administration is forcing states to issue marriage licenses to gay people. Just another example of government stepping on religious freedom by the states."

Not everyone agrees that homosexuals should be "allowed" to get married. Fine. Accepted. But there are plenty of people that think homosexuals have the right to get married if they so choose. The Conservatives were on the war path to the courts because they thought they could put a stop to gay marriage. Full charge!... until they LOST! Now it's "This is really a states issue. The courts should not have involved themselves in a religious matter." Are you fucking kidding me!?!?!o_O

Chrysippus

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

So now we can turn our attention to trans rights? I get the feeling that the T in LGBT is frequently overlooked.

You are right, plus my cousin who ministers to LGBT street kids say that the trans kids are the ones who get the most beatings and bullying and humiliation on the street.