Susan Boyle in the Semi-Finals

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Nick8, May 26, 2009.

1. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Susan Boyle's appearance in the semi-finals of Britain's Got Talent isn't quite the triumph the judges give her credit for. She doesn't "nail the performance" as one of them said and she's visibly nervous during the first few bars of the song despite her post-song interview bravado. But listen as she rises to the occasion on the strength of the audience applause; once again, she'll bring goosebumps to your arms.

Of course, in the U.S. we don't have access to the other performances and I understand there is at least one more artist if not two who are able to give her a run for her money. Still, I can't imagine this unbelievably talented woman not winning. Not that that really matters; a star's been born.

YouTube - Susan Boyle - Memory - Britain's Got Talent - [HQ]

#1 B_Nick8, May 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
  2. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

The ongoing saga of Susan Boyle is a fascination to me. I'm addicted to her success and I love that she fumbled the first few notes then found herself and triumphed during that second performance. It makes her what she is - human.

There's a wonderful version of Cry Me a River she sang ten years ago for charity. It's really quite remarkable if you've not already heard it Nick.

3. B_pinoyurge

B_pinoyurge New Member

yes she is destined to win the competition

4. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

She's fantastic. It's really great to see people who aren't typically seen as attractive making it so far in a competition of this kind.

5. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

I did hear it. Someone posted it in the last thread about her. It was stunning. Seriously, this is such a rags-to-riches, literal over-night success story (soon to be a Lifetime movie; you just know someone somewhere's trying to cast it even as we speak) that it just gives one faith in...something.

6. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    Does anyone know how the handsome young man who's last name was Smith got on in the competition, he was liked by the judges and I saw a video of his 1st performance but nothing since then. Hell one day you see on the internet Susan made it to the top 40 and the next day you hear she's in the finals. Things sure move fast on that show.

#6 Deno, May 26, 2009
  7. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    does anybody know how skull feels about her?

this could be his methadone program to get off adam.

#7 thadjock, May 26, 2009
  8. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

If he backs her, we'll know she's destined for First Runner-up. But next thing we'll hear is that that's the best thing for her; just the career trajectory she needed. :rolleyes:

Sorry, Skullman. You know it's true.

9. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    you two suckers done fantasizing about me yet?

10. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I love Susan Boyle's voice, but she needs to be given the right material to shine.
    There's a recording of her online singing "Killing Me Softly (With His Song)" by Roberta Flack, and although she pretty much gets it on key it lacks emotion. At the same time, there's a recording of her singing "Cry Me A River" from Ella Fitzgerald and it sounds AMAZING. YouTube - Susan Boyle - Cry Me A River HQ

*Dammit Stronzo, you beat me to it! :biggrin:

In all honesty, I don't want her to win the whole thing. There would be too much hype placed on her and it would be too much for anyone to live up to. Let her get close to the finals, bow out gracefully, and make people want more. Besides, it's rumored that Andrew Lloyd Webber is planning to put her in one of his upcoming musicals. I think her career is set. Just make sure they don't try to get her to sing "pop". Oh, PLEASE don't do that to her.

Nick8: Watched the link. She was very nervous at first, but really started to get into it later. It sounded great, but just like the Roberta Flack song I don't think this was an appropriate record for her. A little too high for her vocal range.

#10 B_VinylBoy, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
  11. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think ol Su-Bo did well, considering the huge amount of expectation upon her. She did make a bit of a dog's dinner of the first few notes - but after the instrumental section in the middle she was great. :)

12. paneros

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thanks for posting the link... just listened to it, and was moved to tears from the expression of her voice within half a minute! Very nice arrangement too....l

13. London_Calling

London_Calling New Member

14. Xcuze

Gold Member

Its Shaun Smith, 17. He got through to saturdays final singing "With or without you". So far through;

Susan Boyle, Shaun smith, 2 urban dance acts (very similar), Stavros Flatley(father/son comedy dance act), 12 yr old Shaheen jaffacake(or something!).

Two more semi's(thur/fri) before sat final.

15. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

Thanks, London, for posting that link. If you, Kotch, X, or any other Brits can post additional links to the acts I'd appreciate it. I'm enjoying seeing them. The show seems much more entertaining than the version we have here which, frankly, is dreadful. With the rare exception, America seems to have no talent whatsoever.

16. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

Britain's Got Talent - Home

17. London_Calling

London_Calling New Member

Here's one for you, Nick. :wink:
    YouTube - Dream Bears - Male Can-Can dancers - Britains Got Talent 2009 Ep 5

18. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    Susan did great, but obviously nervous at the start....how about Jamie Pugh a few weeks back on BGT....singing 'Bring Him Home' from 'Les Mis'....outstanding!

Jamie Pugh 'Bring Him Home'

19. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Yeah, liked her first performance better, she clearly had stress because of so many people expecting more of her. But she will be fine when she is getting in too it.

20. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

Thanks for the link, Catch. I haven't been through all of it yet but Flawless was amazing and Shaun Smith and that little kid were quite good (although I think if I have to hear anyone sing I'm Not Going ever, ever again, no matter how well, I'm going to projectile vomit).

And your link, London? It and others (case in point: Mr. Methane) just go to show that Britain can be as utterly devoid of talent as your former colonies.
    :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted