Swan song?

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lex said:
Apologies are overrated and meaningless when the person offering them does not feel regretful for what they did/said (unless you are looking for an apology as simple act of contrition). No thanks.

Well that's a "roger" Lex.

But you don't suppose since he's lingering so that just perhaps he may see how many have taken issue with him and learn to see the error of his approach? I suspect he's dreadfully young. It's more and more apparent.

Certainly I don't see any great awakening happening but unless he's simply masochistic I suspect the poor lad wants some measure of acceptance.

Isn't that what, in truth , we've all been barking about here all the while?

(some of course in a more mannerly fashion than others:tongue:)

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
Stronzo said:
Well that's a "roger" Lex.

But you don't suppose since he's lingering so that just perhaps he may see how many have taken issue with him and learn to see the error of his approach? I suspect he's dreadfully young. It's more and more apparent.

Certainly I don't see any great awakening happening but unless he's simply masochistic I suspect the poor lad wants some measure of acceptance.

Isn't that what, in truth , we've all been barking about here all the while?

(some of course in a more mannerly fashion than others:tongue:)

If we are going to speculate about his age... I don't think he is young by any means... I think Chase hit on it in the Loose lips thread, when it was discovered that english wasn't his first language.

If you look at the thread byt heather somebody, involving her DUI/fleeing to mexico, he has knowlege of law.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Acceptance can not happen where people are not willing to learn from each other and step outside themselves. And it also can not happen without a shared sense of truthfulness (transparency) among and between comarades.

There are a couple possible reasons for his "difficulties":

1. He is from a different country/background and has different cultural norms where sexism and homophobia are more widely acceptable; OR
  2. He is from somewhere where his native language is not English and is having language-barrier issues.
Since his profile says CA (California, USA) and he has not offered ANY explanation, I can only assume that he is just a tool. Sorry.

No one is above an ass-kicking when they step out of line (many of us have experienced this and while is may not have felt good, we learned from it which is why we are still here and positively contributing members).

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
jeff black said:
If we are going to speculate about his age... I don't think he is young by any means... I think Chase hit on it in the Loose lips thread, when it was discovered that english wasn't his first language.

If you look at the thread byt heather somebody, involving her DUI/fleeing to mexico, he has knowlege of law.

Oh thanks jeff.

I've never once gone onto that thread. Wow the dude's gotten around the place it appears.

Lex said:
Acceptance can not happen where people are not willing to learn from each other and step outside themselves. And it also can not happen without a shared sense of truthfulness (transparency) among and between comarades.

There are a couple possible reasons for his "difficulties":
  1. He is from a different country/background and has different cultural norms where sexism and homophobia are more widely acceptable; OR
  2. He is from somewhere where his native language is not English and is having language-barrier issues.
Since his profile says CA (California, USA) and he has not offered ANY explanation, I can only assume that he is just a tool. Sorry.

No one is above an ass-kicking when they step out of line (many of us have experienced this and while is may not have felt good, we learned from it which is why we are still here and positively contributing members).

This is a good deal more info than I had. Thanks.

Then he's simply needy. And that's truly an unhappy state of affairs.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm speculating. But if you called me hysterically when someone had a gun pointed to your head (without explanation), I can only assume that you are hysterical, hyper, etc. Right?

If I asked you over and over what the deal was and you never told me--I am left only with what you say and how you say it.

I am over trying to figure it all out. Either he gets better by listening, learning and observing, or he gets shouted down until he leaves.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Stronzo said:
Do not hold your breath.

fff?

I admire your passion and your tenacity.

I suspect however this is one big fat fucking lost cause. The dude's an attention whore and any and all retorts (including no doubt this one) will requite his need.:rolleyes:

I do not expect an apology but if he were to give me one I would accept it faith that he is going to try and learn, of course I would still keep a close eye on him

Stronzo said:
I'll give him an A+ for entertainment value however.

I will say that he has been fun to "play" with.

Lex said:
Apologies are overrated and meaningless when the person offering them does not feel regretful for what they did/said (unless you are looking for an apology as simple act of contrition). No thanks.

If Pichulon offers a reply I will take it, but please note that its not going to really make me feel better until I actually see a change from him.

Simply, If he apologises, I will give him ONE more chance. But the only way that is going to happen is if he finally admits that he did say these things and also says that he is going to try and change.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
novice_btm said:
Perhaps I AM stupid, but what I really don't get is why the members here that scream the loudest that it's the "last you'll hear from me", never actually ever leave.

Not stupid, but there's some history you've apparently missed. We had an extended foot-stomping episode not so long ago, complete with rambling essays about how the group was no longer the group it used to etc etc etc etc!!!, but when the dust settled we found that some of the malcontents hadn't really cleared off after all, but had reappeared as moderators. A black day, indeed.

The only serious consequence of these surprise reappearances is that, as moderators can't be put on "ignore", their chronically silly tirades are still intrusive. Worse things can happen, I suppose.

The point is that sometimes, a big loud hissy fit does produce results here.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
big dirigible said:
Not stupid, but there's some history you've apparently missed. We had an extended foot-stomping episode not so long ago, complete with rambling essays about how the group was no longer the group it used to etc etc etc etc!!!, but when the dust settled we found that some of the malcontents hadn't really cleared off after all, but had reappeared as moderators. A black day, indeed.

The only serious consequence of these surprise reappearances is that, as moderators can't be put on "ignore", their chronically silly tirades are still intrusive. Worse things can happen, I suppose.

The point is that sometimes, a big loud hissy fit does produce results here.

So did the Boston Tea Party, my friend. Sometimes they need to happen.

Stronzo and I are a good example of how "hissy fits" can eventually lead to better communication when and if that is the ultimate goal. We now talk outside of here as well, and I consider him a friend beyond lpsg-land, but it certainly was not always so, right love?

Pikachu has the same opportunity. No one's suggesting banning or limiting his right to be a turd, he's just not going to gain acceptance or appreciation here until he learns to listen. He insists he's "defending women" in ways that make the women sick, and that's not good. I strongly suspect that he comes from a country where the dynamics of male/female relationships are very different from the US, and that would be fine if he'd just say so. I have often noted that our European members are more mannerly than we often brash Americans, and we are not the whole world!

Some things aren't just different, they're better. Honestly is better than dishonesty, even when being honest seems harsh. It should be noted that far gentler means were attempted to reach this poster before we eventually in dispair had to send a clear message that his words were not appreciated by many to whom they were directed. While I can appreciate how eager others are to join in the fray, I challenge to to actually engage the guy in conversation before you presume to judge those of us who have.

Big Dirigible, do you have any other hobbies besides baiting me? It seems the only reason you post anymore. :rolleyes:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
Charming in your dismissiveness DC .. thanks very much.
I'm missing something here... I intended nothing at all dismissive in that post - I am really confused.
I was confident with "the ropes" then. And I'd be as resolute now were I to disagree with you. Your qualified acceptance of my ill-fated attempt at reconciliation is duly noted. See me as you choose.
That little foray was months ago, and you've been a member less than a year. I didn't mean that as condescending, just that we didn't know each other well enough by that time to understand where each was coming from. Mitigating, rather than aggravating.... I didn't "qualify", or at least I didn't think I did. :redface: I thought we were at that point where it's all behind us. I was just trying to make the point that, through clear and concise communication, people can actually work through conflict to reach a better understanding and greater appreciation of each other. I certainly do appreciate and respect you - unqualified, unconditional.
Christ some people have loooooong memories.:rolleyes:
Now that I really can't help. I wasn't trying to "dredge" up anything, just (as above) making the point that we no longer have those conflicts we had before. And the long memory does come in handy sometimes. Please forgive me if I came across as anything else... I was just bluntly (as is my custom) illustrating that bridges absolutely can be built, across sometimes raging waters. Heheh, you aren't off the hook though - if I think you need it, I will take you to task. Just ask Jana. When she and I talk on the phone, we laugh, we talk dirty, we cry, we curse, and we give each other just as much grief as needed at the time.

Kiss me, you fool!

Oh, back on topic... I actually do know the Swan Song. It's in a 5/5 time, starts in the key of E# Major, then modulates to its parallel, e# minor. Sad, but lovely tune. The words are silly, though.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
And, DC, if I need to "take you to task" (to which you've just beautifully responded) I'll do similarly. Glad we're okay.

** here's your kiss **
"thin-kew, dahling." Hop on the Acela, come on down here south of the Mason Dixon line. I'll show you what southern hospitality REALLY means!

I'm still waiting for any of our resident musicians to comment on my "Swan Song" synopsis.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Much as I enjoy playing the piano and am quite proficient at it. I'll spare you my lame Yankee rendition.:cool:

I fear you'd run screaming from the room.

Good to be on level ground with you DC. I've missed our connection.

Best, R.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
Much as I enjoy playing the piano and am quite proficient at it. I'll spare you my lame Yankee rendition.:cool:

I fear you'd run screaming from the room.

Good to be on level ground with you DC. I've missed our connection.

Best, R.
Heheh, just take my posts literally, and we'll be just dandy, you Yankee!

Ok, all... I'll break it down. The time signature, 5/5, does not exist, it is theoretical. Same with E# major and e# minor. Purely theoretical.:confused13: Maybe I'll stick with dirty jokes.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
Heheh, just take my posts literally, and we'll be just dandy, you Yankee!

Ok, all... I'll break it down. The time signature, 5/5, does not exist, it is theoretical. Same with E# major and e# minor. Purely theoretical.:confused13: Maybe I'll stick with dirty jokes.

Okay, now I'm getting gooey. Listen to Radiohead's "Pyramid song" and tell me what time signature it's in. Guess right and get a prize! I have an absolute sweet tooth for odd time signatures and people who know enough about musical theory to push the envelope enough to disregard the rules. It doesn't work for those who don't follow the rules because they don't understand them, it has to be a conscious choice to disregard them.

edit- googling this won't help, all that's available are opinions, none of which are right (in MY opinion, haha)

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
madame_zora said:
Okay, now I'm getting gooey. Listen to Radiohead's "Pyramid song" and tell me what time signature it's in....
Gotcha! The trick is that, for odd time signatures, you can use just about any number you want... for the first number. That's the one that tells where the metrical stresses will be. (Music of the common practice period would have had the first number as a multiple of 2 or 3. "modern music" still mostly follows that convention, but also uses odd numbers, or alternates). The second number (and it is NOT a fraction, simply a notation convention) because of its function, has to be a multiple of two. Any odd number in that position creates something that makes as much sense as dividing by zero, or the square root of a negative number. You can actually write it, but it doesn't mean anything.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
madame_zora said:
Listen to Radiohead's "Pyramid song" and tell me what time signature it's in.

edit- googling this won't help, all that's available are opinions, none of which are right (in MY opinion, haha)
There is none. Wikipedia's 16/8 doesn't even begin to make sense.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
DC_DEEP said:
Gotcha! The trick is that, for odd time signatures, you can use just about any number you want... for the first number. That's the one that tells where the metrical stresses will be. (Music of the common practice period would have had the first number as a multiple of 2 or 3. "modern music" still mostly follows that convention, but also uses odd numbers, or alternates). The second number (and it is NOT a fraction, simply a notation convention) because of its function, has to be a multiple of two. Any odd number in that position creates something that makes as much sense as dividing by zero, or the square root of a negative number. You can actually write it, but it doesn't mean anything.

"Does all that mean I can't offer up 4/4 as my version of the answer?", he enquired sheepishly. :rolleyes:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Stop, stop, stop, stop!

The mere discussion of music theory breaks me out in a cold sweat.. I dont mean that in a good way. This discussion of meter reminds me of a time I had to sight read a piece in open score. The chorale in question was "Christ lag ..." roughly translated "Christ lay by death enshrouded". When I reached the dreaded piano bench I said under my breath so softly that only my Prof could here me, "Christ isnt the only one" ....